Bodge advice required

Richard

My father in law has asked my to sort out the back doors on his van. The standard mechanism for restraining the doors has given up and they've blown shut on him a few times.

I need a way to hold the doors in the open position. I'd considered using gate hooks but I think they might rattle out with the gusty winds you get where he lives.

Does anybody have any ideas or would I be better off renewing the standard set up?

Posted Image

Posted Image

On one of my dad's old vans he attached a hinged bar with a hole in to the door and a peg thing on the floor of the van at the edge, kind of like the setup you get on OLD SKOOL windows. This worked well but the pegs tended to get in the way a little when sliding big heavy things into the van (was bloody annoying with furnitire and stuff). Could be a good idea though, depends what he carries in the van really...

That's a Fiesta Courier isn't it? I actually have a set of low mileage rails/plastic receivers removed from a damaged van years ago, but buggered if I know where they are (somewhere in my Edinburgh loft I should imagine). Try pricing them up at Ford, as I shouldn't imagine they're expensive parts at all.

That's what I love about Autoshite. Post a square inch of a car and somebody will know what it is :lol: I decided to go for the cabin hooks after all, mostly because it was easier to get to an ironmonger than a Ford dealer. If they rattle out I'll hang a couple of plastic wedges on the doors for him to stick in when it's windy. Not that it matters, he'll forget they're there the first time he tries to shut the door and bend everything all to buggery.The other thing he asked me to do was straighten his back bumper and obtain a receipt for a replacement (long story). Removing the bumper caused ALL the exhaust rubbers to break :x And they say French cars are a pain to work on.Thanks for the suggestions.