For Sale: Rover 800 Sterling – £250

Sam Glover

This needs to depart – and soon.

It's done 65k miles. I bought it about three years ago and perverted around in it until the novelty wore off, which happened quickly. It drove very well indeed… for a Rover 800.

The Honda V6 is marvellous. Everything else is a Rover 800.

I just started it and it ran nicely for an hour without going over the half-way mark on the temperature gauge. The exterior and interior are pretty presentable under the protective layer of dust.

Bad things: the ABS light is on and the exhaust is blowing. Three of the tyres have been flat for a while, so assume they'll no longer be altogether round.

It'll need collecting from Chippenham, Wiltshire.

Sam

Rover1.jpg

Rover2.jpg

Rover3.jpg

Rover4.jpg

Sam, you are either being evicted or you are planning an eastern european orientated vehicle buying super bonanza.

It's a case of ethnic and ideological cleansing – plus freeing up some floor area.

The Skoda van is being kicked out of Czech corner because it's behind four Tatras and a Velorex in the restoration queue – and will, thus, probably never get touched.

All cars are undergoing interrogation. The Rover 800 failed because it's a Rover 800.

I am a Rover 800 nut. Yes they fail at being an actual car but I love them far better than Eastern European clat. I miss having an 800 to use. I can actually afford this, only problem is I'm in the South of France now and will be for the foreseeable.

Where did your Rover go? :-(

Don't worry! It's comfortably stored away in a barn in Worcester. It's still mine and I still own 5 Rover 800s. Due to time/money constraints I couldn't take it with me, also I thought I'd better get a feel for the place first before I take a car with me.

Phew!

Sorry for the tardy response. I struggled to find a free moment for Rover poking.

I have now poked.

The exhaust's blowing from a jagged hole just forward of the flange-to-flange joint behind the rear driver's side footwell. The rest of the system's a bit scruffy, but intact.

And yes – it seems that there's a power steering fluid leak from the rack. I never noticed this when the car was in use. The puddle's about 1ft across. It's been standing for a couple of years – so the leak rate is half-an-inch of puddle per month.

It'd be a bonus if it disappeared reasonably soonish.

I'd swap it and many other things besides for a stakhanovite Polonez… but not for a revisionist Caro.

Sam

Guest Breadvan72

Sorry can't buy it, GLWTS, but just wanted to commend you for saying "flange to flange".  Thank you, that is all.