Found some rust

Ratdat

I might have been able to get a wing from Hyundai but it was £142 +vat :shock: Here's the state of play as of this evening. Needs a skim of wag along the top but I can't do any of that until I have something to bolt it to :lol:

Posted Image

I hate you even more now :lol::lol::lol::wink:

Right with you there. I don't like anyone who can better shoving lollipop sticks, mud, scouring pads and cardboard into Fiesta Mk1 bonnets and Cortina Mk5 wheel arches.Great job of that wing, seriously impressed with the work.

It's only really repairable because it's so angular. It'd be a hell of a lot harder to do on a curvy car. I've got loads of panels for other things knocking about too which helps. The mounting flange I just chopped out of an old Nissan Cherry wing as it wasn't far off the right shape. I'll have a rummage around tomorrow and see if i have a valance of something else that'll fit as the one on it is shagged. Luckily the other front wing has been replaced before so I only have to do this one side. The sills and rear arches need welding but I'll do that next year when the MOT id due..did I mention this actually has an MOT? How I'll never know :lol:

I'm liking this little truck. Here's a shot from a highly flattering angle. Rust? ...what rust?

Posted Image

Whoa! Luckily (for me?) you secured it before I drunkenly asked about it. More than a tad beyond my capabilities, mega respect due for sorting it though, looks like a really neat job.If you ever get bored of prodding holes through it, give me a shout.

Yeah, you can be thankful you didn't get it I think. The rear arches look like this...

Posted Image

The sills are all knackered where they meet the floor and the petrol tank has about 25 holes in it. I'm working on fixing that at the moment.

Guest greenvanman

Excellent skills there ratdat, I wish I could do stuff like that!

I've just about managed to pigeon-shit-weld two patches to the rear ends of the Astra's sills so it gets to cheat the scrap man for another year with my £35 Netto stick welder. I can only look longingly at your workmanship and know that if I tried for the next 100 years I'd never get anywhere close to that. Respect is due indeed.

Excellent work indeed! Reminds me of something I once watched where guys in Cuba (IIRC) were fabricating a wing for some ‘50s behemoth from scratch.Ratdat has a phrase when viewing what to most of us would be a rusty old heap that goes “I could have that solid in a dayâ€Â. See, it’s true!Saw a tidy blue Pony pickup on the M25 over the weekend, should have a pic to add in my usual thread sometime soon.

Excellent work indeed! Reminds me of something I once watched where guys in Cuba (IIRC) were fabricating a wing for some ‘50s behemoth from scratch.

Think that was on Clarksons Motorworld?

Been trying to fix the fuel tank today without much success. It was mega rusty on the outside and dissolving the rust left it badly pitted. I must have welded up about sixty tiny pinholes holes and soldered it too but it still seeps a tiny bit. I've had a good look inside the tank and it's clean and rust free inside so I'm going to have to spend some money and get some tank sealant. I'm going to try this stuff. It being a two part epoxy sound more attractive than the usual single part stuff like Por-15.Couldn't get on with the inner wing as it was pissing down and I'm working on it outside. Maybe tomorrow it'll be dry. I'm only fixing this as I want it as a daily. 1200cc means cheap tax and economy plus the ability to haul copious amounts of shite around makes it the perfect daily driver for me. I'm on a bit of a strict budget though as I'm skint, hence not buying a new wing!

My first ever post this one! I have been watching the site for ages and the quality of that fabrication deserved a comment. Absolutely superb work there! Very impressed, wish I could do stuff like that. :P:P