Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tales from the Two Poster.

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 10,659 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

The only thing I listen to on the radio is the traffic updates of a weekend on radio Newcastle and TFM.

#mightydougong

• dugong likes this

#32 OFFLINE   ruffgeezer

ruffgeezer

• Full Members
  • 3,335 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationLincolnshire Cuntryside

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

I must admit the main reason I go for Snap On stuff is that if it breaks (and it does when you use them all day every day) I never have an issue getting it replaced, the Mac wagon rarely visits, and if I have to go to Halfords, 9 times out of 10 I get some spotty twat who couldn't tell his arse from his elbow, refusing to replace my broken stuff, which is a ten mile trip in the first place.

My garage at home has an awful lot of mismatched chod though!

• rickvw72 likes this

1973 Datsun 1200 Station Wagon
2002 V70 D5; mega. mega miles. Mega broken.
1995 AX VTS
2007 Berlingo (Mrs Ruff's)
***This space available for more Chod!***<p>autoshite2.jpg
Autoshite Dealership Stickers £1.75 including postage, Pm me for info!

#33 OFFLINE   Mr_Bo11ox

Mr_Bo11ox

• Full Members
  • 23,818 posts
  • 41 thanks
  • LocationUttoxeter/Derby

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Atlantic 252 was fucking shit, it only ever played Curtis Stigers and Charles & Eddy. Awful.
  • michael1703 and Aston Martin like this

PIGEONZ NEST

CHECK OUT MY AWARD-WINNING SHITE-FIXING BLOG HERE

"THE 2.3 POWERTRAIN IS A SILENT IS AS A FISH, AND IT PULLS LIKE A GREAT"
"Full luxury cream leather with walnut fascists"

"Car shows are full of mentals talking tosh"

"I had no doubt it would pass, but unbelievably, to mine and the MoT tester's amazement, it passed"

#34 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,191 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

The only snap on tools I have are ones that have been found under bonnets etc left by other mechanics. The guarantee is a bit pointless really as you are more likely to lose tools than break them. I have got a lovely snap on breaker bar that they have repaired twice now. (didn't mention the scaffold pole I had on the end of it when it broke) I found it lying in the road a few years ago. I have never understood people paying through the nose for snap on then not looking after them. Don't get me started about there code reader whoever thought that having all those silly different keys was a good idea.

• Banger Kenny likes this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

'77 Renault 7

'99 Peugeot 806 (with slightly less dents)

'08 Peugeot 207 van (with many dents)

#35 OFFLINE   Squire_Dawson

Squire_Dawson

• Full Members
  • 2,183 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

I can well see that a young apprentice wants 'the best' and enjoy a certain prestige, but I've never rushed out and bought a full tool-set. Instead, I've bought as I needed and accumulated a good tool set over time - many years, in fact. But this is coming from a weekend tinkerer/amateur, not someone who has to do it for a living and maybe has to get some spanners quickly. But there are plenty of old, quality makes out there at flea markets going for next to nothing. 

Panhard, you raise a point which always amuses and irks me at the same time, viz. people not looking after their tools. Hell, I see old men who should know better, having lived through shortages, throw tools on the ground.

Anyway, I paid £2 for this, showing no signs of giving up yet.

photo-3 (4).JPG

photo-2 (4).JPG

• anonymous user, scruff, Banger Kenny and 7 others like this

Squeak, rattle and roll.

Thanks restorer.

SAVE OUR PANGOLINS.

Current shite:

1952 Morris Oxford Series MO - Sidevalve Shite

1962 Morris 1000 Traveller - English Tudorbethan

1975 Austin Allegro 1100 DL - m'Lod

Please look out for hedgehogs!

#36 OFFLINE   Station

Station

• Full Members
  • 9,792 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

I hate radio in the workplace.

Capital, Heart, Radio 1 - all shite and counter-productive. I left a job because of it (and the fact the job was awful). If you love listening to Radio all day long, you are a robot slave put amongst us by the Illuminati.

• mercrocker, robinmasters, chodweaver and 1 other like this

#37 OFFLINE   sheffcortinacentre

sheffcortinacentre

• Full Members
  • 1,894 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:20 PM

wouldn't trust that bunch of muppets with a kidde-car esp that sctoch numpty. snap-on isn't as good quality now days.

to much power is just enough & theres more to life than mpg.

#38 OFFLINE   dugong

dugong

2007-2016

• Full Members
  • 4,637 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

After PRS and PPL, there is MCPS. Lovely folk. Bane of my life when I ran a recording studio. 

If your 1997 Fiesta is "Powered By Fairy Dust", why the fuck are you panic buying 60 litres of Diesel?

#39 OFFLINE   Bren

Bren

• Full Members
  • 6,693 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationI dunno man - i only just got here meself!

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

I used to listen to Atlantic 252 around 1990, if I was somewhere Radio1 couldn't reach.  (Yes, even I used to listen to R1, and as late as my 30s too!)  I remember when Mad Donna got to number one with Hanky Panky, R1 didn't seem keen to play it (a bit risque maybe?) but 252 played it to death.  I haven't heard another song of hers that I would listen to so readily.  It's very much her Forgotten Hit.

Has Atlantic gone now?

It bit the dust around the year 2000.

I remember one of the DJ 's was called Robin Banks.

#40 OFFLINE   CortinaDave

CortinaDave

• Full Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • Locationfloating somewhere between Fife and Aberdeen

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

Atlantic 252 was bought out by a company called TEAMtalk who closed it down and relaunched as a sports talk station, similar to talksport.

They absolutely bombed and were off the air and bankrupt after 6 months.

The transmitter then lay unused until a few years ago and now it rebroacasts RTE Radio 1.

Robin Banks is a bit of a legend in the industry, for being really creative but also for landing stations in the shit. He's starting a new gig soon on Jack FM in berkshire

Current Shite:
79 T Ford Cortina 2.0S
02 52 MG ZT 160 V6

#41 OFFLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 9,159 posts
  • 57 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

Well today I had a simple little job that turned out to be a knob. Front exhaust and cat on a mk4 golf 1.6 16 v . What a cock to wrangle into place.

Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi - ex's now - dont miss it or her

Fiat Ducato 2009 l3h2

Honda Crf250X

Suzuki TS50x

Kawasaki Ke175d

Prilla Pigsasshole 650

Saxo 1.5D- died and ready to scrap :-(

Land Rover 90 2.5 petrol

Mazda mx5

#42 OFFLINE   scruff

scruff

dweeb

• Full Members
  • 2,814 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationBox 41 GPO

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

I can well see that a young apprentice wants 'the best' and enjoy a certain prestige, but I've never rushed out and bought a full tool-set. Instead, I've bought as I needed and accumulated a good tool set over time - many years, in fact. But this is coming from a weekend tinkerer/amateur, not someone who has to do it for a living and maybe has to get some spanners quickly. But there are plenty of old, quality makes out there at flea markets going for next to nothing. 

Panhard, you raise a point which always amuses and irks me at the same time, viz. people not looking after their tools. Hell, I see old men who should know better, having lived through shortages, throw tools on the ground.

Anyway, I paid £2 for this, showing no signs of giving up yet.

attachicon.gifphoto-3 (4).JPG

attachicon.gifphoto-2 (4).JPG

Ooooo old tools.

I have a considerable array of imperial chod, some extremely ancient but still brilliant. 

How's the gig going, Tiff? 

#43 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,590 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationWear the fox hat

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

Well today I had a simple little job that turned out to be a knob. Front exhaust and cat on a mk4 golf 1.6 16 v . What a cock to wrangle into place.

Yup, just did no2 daughters a few weeks back. on a jack. in the rain. nice.

I also got fed up with all the stupidness that goes on inside the doors on these things, and on having a non working interior light off the drivers door, I decided to overrule VW's cleverness and fitted a Fiat pin switch to the pillar, as in the olden days. Guess what...It works and took less time to do than taking off the door panel...AGAIN.

Well. The Gig.

Site at my garage had been checked and signed off. I have all my paperwork, computer and office all as I want it.I've familiarised myself with all the Crypton equipment and know how it all works. To book a demo test you need to have paperwork in place on the wall, which is in the post. Diary is ram packed with MOT's, which have been getting taken to our other branch. This is a major hassle, so they have booked my demo test for Friday first thing at this other branch to save time. This branch uses Tecalemit equipment which is quite a bit different, and I'll get no time to get it sussed, as I was off today, and have a Doblo timing belt and a few other things to do tomorrow. I was supposed to be off next Monday, when I had hoped to get both my bikes MOT'd. This was changed to Thursday as the MOT diary is full on Monday. Then the MOT diary filled up for Thursday so I got today off, so it's going to be another couple of weeks before I can get on my bikes.

No pressure,like.

• scruff, Banger Kenny and Grundig like this

2003 Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTi in Brown

2002 Mercedes Vito Traveliner camper

#44 OFFLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 9,159 posts
  • 57 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:30 PM

Thread resurection by demand ( garage wank thread on the open forum )

Hope to do some updates next week
  • Barry Cade., Pillock, Banger Kenny and 5 others like this

Fiat Ducato 2009 l3h2

Honda Crf250X

Suzuki TS50x

Kawasaki Ke175d

Prilla Pigsasshole 650

Land Rover 90 2.5 petrol

Mazda mx5

#45 OFFLINE   scaryoldcortina

scaryoldcortina

• Full Members
  • 5,502 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationUnderground, overground. Wombling free....

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:45 PM

Quick one from today -

MGTF, won't charge, flattens battery. Owner had already bought and fitted a new alt and battery which didn't fix it, taken them both back to halfords and exchanged for another pair which still didn't make it work. I went round with a multimeter, thankfully he already had the engine cover off. Batt light not illuminating at all, 11.6v at battery with engine running.

14-15v fluctuating at the large terminal on the alternator proves the alt is ok, the battery started the car easily enough so it isn't the battery lead. Continuity test between starter and alternator shows open circuit and a jump lead across the terminals (starter to alt) makes it all work properly, battery warning light as well.

This is why you should get stuff diagnosed!
  • Barry Cade., Lord Sward, Banger Kenny and 5 others like this

#46 OFFLINE   DaveAspley

DaveAspley

• Full Members
  • 409 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

Quiet day here today, just two oil and filter changes. I've worked every day 6 weeks straight so a day off is welcome!

Going out to a "my mate sez..." Job tomorrow morning, 206 with a misfire and eml on. "My mates a mechanic, told me to change the plugs and coil but it's still the same so my mate sez it could be an injector.." Has your mate plugged it in to see what the fair actually is or done any tests?? "Na but he's shit hot wiv cars tho" , oh so that'll be why you called me then....
  • Banger Kenny, Sheefag, hauserplenty and 5 others like this

#47 OFFLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 9,159 posts
  • 57 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

Day of paperwork for me today - getting ready for my first vat return . Still did some banking and running around for parts tho
  • Coprolalia likes this

Fiat Ducato 2009 l3h2

Honda Crf250X

Suzuki TS50x

Kawasaki Ke175d

Prilla Pigsasshole 650

Land Rover 90 2.5 petrol

Mazda mx5

#48 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 6,962 posts
  • 52 thanks

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:34 PM

Not sure if I qualify for this thread, I'm just a reputable* part time motor trader and it's more "tales from the filthy barn floor" because I don't have a lift (yet)

image.jpeg

....... or a breaker bar
  • Pillock, Banger Kenny, Sheefag and 8 others like this
2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1
2007 07 Fiat Panda 100HP
2002 02 Porsche Boxster S

#49 OFFLINE   DaveAspley

DaveAspley

• Full Members
  • 409 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

Anyone else taking work on through clickmechanic.com? I've given it a bash but the 24% margin they take is a bit steep to say the least.

#50 OFFLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 9,159 posts
  • 57 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:44 PM

Too busy to do the work I've got luckily
  • DaveAspley likes this

Fiat Ducato 2009 l3h2

Honda Crf250X

Suzuki TS50x

Kawasaki Ke175d

Prilla Pigsasshole 650

Land Rover 90 2.5 petrol

Mazda mx5

#51 OFFLINE   DaveAspley

DaveAspley

• Full Members
  • 409 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:44 PM

My humble premises, built a big wooden shed on the back for parts and tools. Otherwise it's out and about in the overworked £300 Rover. For a little 1400 it can tow well, especially useful when a 300000 mile Skoda blows up on the rank.

That's a top tip for an emergency breaker bar!!IMAG0967.jpg IMAG0956.jpg
  • Banger Kenny, saucedoctor, billyboy406v6 and 2 others like this

#52 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 6,962 posts
  • 52 thanks

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:53 PM

Since you're mobile, Dave, do you have a lightweight but sturdy trolley jack you use?

Had to lump my massive floor jack in and out of my car yesterday to rescue a stricken friend after the supplied widow maker failed whilst swapping the spare on and it's far too heavy to leave my workshop regularly at just over 40kg
2007 07 Fiat Panda 100HP

#53 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,191 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

Quiet day here today, just two oil and filter changes. I've worked every day 6 weeks straight so a day off is welcome!

Going out to a "my mate sez..." Job tomorrow morning, 206 with a misfire and eml on. "My mates a mechanic, told me to change the plugs and coil but it's still the same so my mate sez it could be an injector.." Has your mate plugged it in to see what the fair actually is or done any tests?? "Na but he's shit hot wiv cars tho" , oh so that'll be why you called me then....

No 1 fuel injector. I have had 2 now and both have been no 1 injector. If I remember rightly it just puts a code in for random misfire. 

I had an Austin 8 in the other week which kept playing up after about 8 miles. It wouldn't play up all the time I had it in but broke down just as the customer came to collect it. A quick rummage through the cupboards for a new coil and it was back on the road. Not much else of interest this week just a cam belt and water pump on a C3 tomorrow.

• Angrydicky, DaveAspley and Coprolalia like this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

'77 Renault 7

'99 Peugeot 806 (with slightly less dents)

'08 Peugeot 207 van (with many dents)

#54 OFFLINE   omegod

omegod

• Full Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

Since you're mobile, Dave, do you have a lightweight but sturdy trolley jack you use?

Had to lump my massive floor jack in and out of my car yesterday to rescue a stricken friend after the supplied widow maker failed whilst swapping the spare on and it's far too heavy to leave my workshop regularly at just over 40kg

I have the costco 2 tonne Arcan one , ace and trusted jack but still no lightweight at 26kg but it is manageable to haul about and a barg at £85 ish

• Mr_Bo11ox, Kiltox and Grundig like this

#55 OFFLINE   DaveAspley

DaveAspley

• Full Members
  • 409 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:01 PM

Ha I keep looking but not buying, still lugging a big old 3 ton one about when I need a big lift , otherwise a boggo little 2 ton for run of the mill stuff like pads and basic services. Anything complex or requiring serious dismantling I'll fetch back here.
  • Kiltox likes this

#56 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 6,962 posts
  • 52 thanks

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

SGS do lightweight aluminium jacks for similar money (I don't have a Costco card) and I really like their 3T jack which I use now but I'm not sure whether they'll be any good

Could just get a cheapy one for small mobile jobs but I don't trust them as much!
2007 07 Fiat Panda 100HP

#57 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,944 posts
  • 27 thanks

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:07 PM

Oh, just half a million or something.... http://www.telegraph...-royalties.html

I wouldn't mind, but that's half a million per year for a song that makes me want to push people's heads through shop windows.

I loved that song when I was kid but I can't stick it now - I did feel a bit more kindly when Noddy Holder said "that song's me pension" on TV - at least he's honest about it.

1994 Range Rover Classic "The Crying Pumpkin" cried off, rusty

2003 Jaaaag XJ 260K miles and counting

2000 Ford Mondeo Verona 1.8 pez FOR SALE Now with new As owner

2000 Ford Puma 1.7 - Roffled and now with new AS owner

1968 AMC Rebel SST convertible (working and road legal but in limp home mode)

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

2005 Land Rover Discovery - for long trips and moving engines 

#58 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,667 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationRiding the trough of the fashion wave

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:17 PM

Day of paperwork for me today - getting ready for my first vat return . Still did some banking and running around for parts tho

That your normal hourly rate still has to cover, which seems to be easily forgotten...

#59 OFFLINE   Bren

Bren

• Full Members
  • 6,693 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationI dunno man - i only just got here meself!

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:12 AM

Atlantic 252 was fucking shit, it only ever played Curtis Stigers and Charles & Eddy. Awful.

No it wasn't- it played chaka demus and pliers as well.

#60 OFFLINE   oldcars

oldcars

• Full Members
  • 5,739 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

Not sure if I qualify for this thread, I'm just a reputable* part time motor trader and it's more "tales from the filthy barn floor" because I don't have a lift (yet)

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

....... or a breaker bar

Looks hard work, you must be exhaused..............

• Kiltox likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users