Richard

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Loved my 850 diesel auto. It earned the nickname of the mobile sofa.

365k miles when it was written off (t-boned by a bus - was still drive able but a new rear quarter made it beyond economical repair).

The only issues were an appetite for front tyres and an the stupid Injector that it reads info from.

Loved it so much, 7 years on, I've just bought a V70 auto!

Loved it so much, 7 years on, I've just bought a V70 auto. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fixed interval intermittent wipe was starting to annoy me so I decided to try the VW relay I've read about. Basically you find a relay numbered 99 or 197 from a VW and fit it in place of the Volvo's wiper relay. That gives you a standard interval of 5 seconds or you can choose your own interval. You switch the wipers off from Intermittent then switch them back to intermittent again after the time you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbns0d8BuBo

The video shows the standard interval, which it will always return to after the ignition is switched off, then a short interval, then a long one for exceptionally light drizzle.

The Polo got the same mod, and from what I've read it works on all sorts of other cars too.

Did the same mod on my MK2F Polo and it's great, would recommend. I think it goes up to 20 seconds.

I had an 850 T5 estate many years ago, the VW wiper relay is a huge improvement.

Two of the less talked about but common faults are self destructing brake light and ignition switches.

Both are very easy to change and the parts are surprisingly cheap, direct from Volvo.

Oh, and the electric lock on the petrol flap seizes as well, it's worth googling for the hidden internal manual release now because you'll only find out when the tank is empty. And you're far from home. In freezing, horizontal, winter rain.

The auxiliary belt has been chirping for a while so I had a go at sorting it out over the weekend. I took the tensioner off and found that the bearing in the pulley was quite noisy. The V70's tensioner turned out to be broken and its pulley was almost square, so that was no good. Its guide pulley was ok though, and I managed to fit that to the tensioner. I put it all together and...

Much better*. Last night it got so bad that I stopped at the side of the road to investigate. When I released the belt tension I found that I could turn the PAS pulley backwards but not forwards. I picked up some fluid and a new belt today and was ready to change the pump after work. Except there was nothing wrong with it, I hadn't released the belt enough when I was trying to turn it.

That was good news and bad news. I still didn't know where the noise was coming from. Everything turned smoothly so all I could really do was clean all the pulleys. It seems to have worked.

You want to get one of these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Automotive-Stethoscope-Engine-Analyzer-Car-Diagnostic-Tools-Block-Detector-Tester-EA10744/32674475691.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_5_10037_10017_10032_10040,searchweb201603_1&btsid=b0decdd3-5220-46d5-a443-9fbe33895b98

I've just got one, so if you need a borrow of it let me know. 

• 1 month later...

When I've had to pull driveshafts in the past, I've jacked that side of the car up as far as I dare, so the gear oil level on the working side is below the hole. I've not done very many, but it has worked for me so far, and not spilt a drop.

• 1 month later...

Did I ever tell you about the £1500 MOT that took a week to do? The one that resulted in said gentleman fucking a wheelbearing that he 'generously' fixed cheaply* for me? The one where he didn't have the software for a 98 V70, so couldn't diagnose the ABS fault, which might have been traceable, had he replaced the fuse I removed? That one. Thought I'd told everybody from here to Beijing about it...!

Mr Fowler however, has a far better view of said gent, so it's debatable what's going on there. Damn sure I won't be going back a second time.

That S90 though...*dribbles quietly*

• 4 months later...