Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The prodigal returns!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nigel bickle

nigel bickle

• Full Members
  • 3,610 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Locationnear to Liege

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

Several years ago -long before this august Forum was even a twinkle in its designers eye- I put a Renault Caravelle in for some bodywork.
To cut a (very) long story short -the 'restorer' vanished ,along with the car.
I consoled myself that- knowing the car well -having rebuilt half of it -I would recgonise it when it eventually surfaced.
I did use the Feds to try and track it -but they were as much use as a chocolate teapot. Little interest or understanding at all.
So -imagine my suprise when Item 330184279816 appeared on Ebay- my Caravelle.
A lengthy chat with the new 'owner' -presentation of credentials, service history etc etc, and I 'bought' it back; collection next week when the cheque clears.
Nice man -sold to him with a V5c (how do you do that when the car is listed as stolen, has a crime number, and DVLA are made aware?) and receipt -I now intend to hunt the miscreant down & press charges- civil & criminal.
Seems I paid £1300 to 'alleged said miscreant' (-and a pair of near unique original sills) for a cheap lash over and pattern copy sills.presumbly sold mine -along with the Cosmic alloys that were on it.
Still,overall, very happy to have it back:-
http://i204.photobuc...9306_1_sbol.jpg
Posted Image
http://i204.photobuc...ault/9c81_2.jpg
It does seem to have been a strange week:-
Looks like I've bought a Taunus Transit in Germany (from OldBus on 'the 'other' forum)
Got a Fiat 850 and 1100d to collect, and, yesterday, was offered a splendid throw back by another esteemed member of this very site- which I accepted with alacrity.
Also sorting the 124 & Isuzu- still in Oz whilst the brakes are repaired.

Alas-SWMBO thinks we're contracting the fleet. Poor deluded soul!
  • Pete-M and hennabm like this
Barkas,Datsun 411s, U11sssFiat 850, 1100's,124, 127, Stradas, Croma,Regata,Coupes,Gaz's,Isuzu 117,Bellel,BellettFord Taunus,Transit p/up, Nissan Pintara,Pug J7,505, MussoRenault 4,5,9's,12's,18's,Fuegos,21,25, Safrane, Colorale,Fregate's,Caravelle,Seat Ibiza,Ronda, Simca Aronde, 1100, Standard's (various),<p>Zast 313, Zaz 968's

#2 OFFLINE   mouseflakes

mouseflakes

• Full Members
  • 4,180 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationThe DMDC 'Finds' Table

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

Exciting stuff!Not a 'result' in that I guess you'll still end up down at the end of the day, but at least it looks like the 'miscreant' you describe might get a karmic ass-kicking?

#3 OFFLINE   michiel

michiel

Must try harder

• Full Members
  • 4,112 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationLes Pays Bah

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:04 PM

How weird, congrats on finding it back and hope the bugger gets what he deserves!

Nice to hear you bought a TT!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Mr_Bo11ox

Mr_Bo11ox

• Full Members
  • 22,623 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationUttoxeter/Derby

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:23 PM

How did you approach the seller to ask for your car back then? That must be a delicate one. 'Er, this car you've got for sale, well actually it belongs to me and i would like it back please'.Did you have to pay the seller his asking price to secure it? Is the guy he bought it off, the same feller that you handed it over to or has it been through some other pairs of hands?Mega respect to you for playing it cool! I would have been absolutely purple-faced with astonishment, fury and lord knows what else if i saw my previously-stolen car for sale on ebay.
  • Pete-M likes this

PIGEONZ NEST

CHECK OUT MY AWARD-WINNING SHITE-FIXING BLOG HERE

"THE 2.3 POWERTRAIN IS A SILENT IS AS A FISH, AND IT PULLS LIKE A GREAT"
"The engine has airbrushed skulls on it"

"Car shows are full of mentals talking tosh"

"I promised her I would waxoyl her Polo"

#5 OFFLINE   55bloke

55bloke

• Full Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:27 PM

Fantastic!! I love those things, can't recall when I last saw one though. It'll be interesting to hear the full story when you get it, especially how it got that V5!

#6 OFFLINE   Cheggers

Cheggers

• Full Members
  • 3,490 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationPortsmouth, the posh part

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:33 PM

I wonder where you would have stood legally if you'd demanded the car back, or even just turned up & taken it away...?

PS: Well done on getting it back with such style & restraint
I had my photo taken with REM. That's me in the corner...

#7 OFFLINE   Conrad D. Conelrad

Conrad D. Conelrad

• Full Members
  • 6,288 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Locationgtr mcr

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:28 PM

Well, the police would have seized it, but I don't think you'd have the law behind you if you planned an independent heist.Congrats on getting your car back, Nigel.

#8 OFFLINE   nigel bickle

nigel bickle

• Full Members
  • 3,610 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Locationnear to Liege

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:20 PM

Thanks all. it was a difficult one. The new owner, Tim, had bought it in good faith, complete with V5c -in the sellers name/address, and written receipt. he had no knowledge of its history.So -where did we stand. i am clearly legal owner -crime number alone effectively proves that- & I'm unlikely to sell it less hood, lights, bumpers etc- still in my possession. That and a copious wad of history. So the Old Bill would have grabbed it -mucho hassle all round.We met -nice bloke -and thrashed it out. I had a good look at 'my' car -and he had a good look at my paperwork. He offered to buy the paperwork, bumpers etc etc -or sell the car for what he paid -about 60% of the listed price. I took the later route. I had already shelled out £1500ish on 'repairs'- and wasnt going to get that back.I had the history to prove it has only done 16000 miles -cos of a silly fault when it was first assembled. In essence- the titled lady owner (really!) sufferd brake failure every 1000 miles. Renault Knightsbridge put new pads in each time (bills for 12 sets in 16000mls!) and sent her off. M/cyl was sticking on -wearing the front pads down which -then shot out of the caliper! So the front was a mass of dents and bashs -and the car had been stored since 1977.Anyway -I paid for it and collect next week once the cheque has cleared.I then intend to file formal proceedings against the miscreant -lets call him Paul, for instance, and follow up with civil proceedings for the lot.Criminal proceedings is a cert -and once found Guilty -civil should be a formality. So -all being well -money back in about 2 years!!
  • Pete-M and Faker like this
Barkas,Datsun 411s, U11sssFiat 850, 1100's,124, 127, Stradas, Croma,Regata,Coupes,Gaz's,Isuzu 117,Bellel,BellettFord Taunus,Transit p/up, Nissan Pintara,Pug J7,505, MussoRenault 4,5,9's,12's,18's,Fuegos,21,25, Safrane, Colorale,Fregate's,Caravelle,Seat Ibiza,Ronda, Simca Aronde, 1100, Standard's (various),<p>Zast 313, Zaz 968's

#9 OFFLINE   Mr_Bo11ox

Mr_Bo11ox

• Full Members
  • 22,623 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationUttoxeter/Derby

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:41 PM

Trebles all round!Marvellous work NB. You really are a shitemeister, with answers to all the problems which afflict ordinary shiters - distance, space, crims, pikeys, halfwits and so on.

PIGEONZ NEST

CHECK OUT MY AWARD-WINNING SHITE-FIXING BLOG HERE

"THE 2.3 POWERTRAIN IS A SILENT IS AS A FISH, AND IT PULLS LIKE A GREAT"
"The engine has airbrushed skulls on it"

"Car shows are full of mentals talking tosh"

"I promised her I would waxoyl her Polo"

#10 OFFLINE   nigel bickle

nigel bickle

• Full Members
  • 3,610 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Locationnear to Liege

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:50 PM

Ta Mr B -bit of a turn up really. 3 more to trace -1 day!!

#11 OFFLINE   MrRegieRitmo

MrRegieRitmo

• Full Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationS Coast England

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

That's a story - I love it when wronged people have things swing back in their favour! :D Shame something couldn't have come up about your arson! :x

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

Good bit of luck there-nice to hear of getting one back for a change :D .Hope you open a can of "whoopass" on the original tealeaf.

#13 OFFLINE   seth

seth

• Full Members
  • 4,040 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNW London

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

Wow! Must be a great feeling to finally be getting it back. I tip my hat to you for the way you've dealt with it too. Lets hope you have success with the legal proceedings assuming you track the bloke down.

#14 OFFLINE   nigel bickle

nigel bickle

• Full Members
  • 3,610 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Locationnear to Liege

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:59 AM

I have him already. I'll wait till its in my garage (possession being 9/10th's etc) then I'm going to ruin his Christmas

#15 OFFLINE   pompei

pompei

• Full Members
  • 3,551 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationGrimsby

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

Good for you! Top man!

#16 OFFLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 5,864 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationLugbúrz

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Long-dead thread resuscitation warning...

What was the outcome on this, Nigel? Did you get your money back, and did the miscreant get his come-uppance?

Never knowingly under-ambitious

'97 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'86 Honda CBX 750F
'82 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana

#17 OFFLINE   nigel bickle

nigel bickle

• Full Members
  • 3,610 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Locationnear to Liege

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

WTF!

Miscreant did time, funds were returned. Car is still in my possession.

• Pillock, M'coli, Pete-M and 4 others like this

#18 OFFLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 5,864 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationLugbúrz

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

WTF!

You sounded like you needed cheering up Nigel, so I put the jump leads on one of your old threads :smile:

Never knowingly under-ambitious

'97 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'86 Honda CBX 750F
'82 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana

#19 OFFLINE   Danblez

Danblez

• Full Members
  • 766 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSouthportish

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

I dont know you Mr Bickle but have read a lot of your troubles in life and well and trully doff my hat in your direction!

You are a one man "doing the right thing" machine, and it cant be easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users