Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Korean Cortina

Project

• Please log in to reply
1122 replies to this topic

#1111 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,963 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationRiding the trough of the fashion wave

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:14 PM

The speedo drive is still under investigation! I jacked a rear wheel up last week and let the engine idle in gear while I checked the drive unit for the flashing LED denoting a signal. Nothing. So it looks as though there is no signal being generated until some time into the journey. To further prove this I connected my rather elderly 'scope up to the sensor, and went for a drive.

attachicon.gif20180828_2109061.jpg

Amazingly, the internal (Ni-cad!) battery still holds a charge so I was able to check out the signal on the move. With the speedo working, I get the pattern below:

attachicon.gif20180828_2102451.jpg

I've not yet been able to monitor with the speedo inoperative, but would expect a flat line like in the first photo, although it's possible that under certain situations, electrical noise could swamp the signal, hence the reason for carrying out the checks.

I had a bit of trouble tracking down a suitable speed sensor - I'd bought a universal one but that was not compatible with the cruise control system. Bearing in mind this was 20 years old I wasn't confident of finding spare parts, but I eventually discovered it was an Australian manufacturer of the kit, and they even listed spare parts. Bad news is no reply to my emails on shipping to the UK, but MorrisItalSLX has come to my rescue and is going to post one on to me :-D

As I'm coming up to the magic 200k miles I don't want to miss any, so important to get my odometer working properly!

• Banger Kenny, The Moog, mrbenn and 1 other like this

#1112 OFFLINE   colc

colc

• Full Members
  • 4,163 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationThe Garden of Ingerland..........

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:21 PM

You being a handy sort of bloke, could you fillet the guts out of a GPS speedo and plumb it in to operate the original speedo needle?

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish

#1113 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,963 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:37 PM

Possibly and thanks for the compliment!), but I'd still have to drive the cruise control somehow...

Anyway, the sensor is on its way to me now, so should be a plug and play solution.

In the meantime I've been securing the new oil hoses, with something more rigid than P clips. First I had to install a few nut inserts, and as I don't have the proper tool, had to improvise with a nut, bolt and washer.

20190128_215818.jpg

20190128_220015.jpg

Just tighten the nut whilst holding the bolt stationary, and the insert expands to grip the hole.

20190128_220139crop.jpg

I could then attach a number of clips to hold the hoses securely.

20190203_210021.jpg

The new air filter housing was painted in black, but this was incredibly thin and would have likely started to rust very quickly. So I decided to give it a few extra coats of paint.

20190202_215526.jpg

Bit of a strange choice perhaps, rather than black?

Well, earlier in the thread I had half an idea:

I think if I was going to paint it, I'd probably do it in grey as a nod to the original filter housing:

engine bay4.jpg

Looks a reasonable match don't you think  :-)

20190203_142647.jpg

• danthecapriman, Banger Kenny, Skizzer and 7 others like this

#1114 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,963 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:28 PM

I've secured all the oil hoses now, although under the radiator I'm less happy with.

20190208_170641.jpg

I managed to drill for the nut insert on the right of the photo by using a right-angled drill, but not enough space on the other side. So I've had to improvise by welding a nut to a length of DIN rail, and bolting that in place using the existing radiator fixings. Not very neat but functional I suppose...

But more importantly I had a package arrive today, from Kangaroo Valley!

20190208_161605.jpg

In it was the speed sensor I've been after for a while.

20190208_173639.jpg

It was then a very simple job to just swap out the old...

20190208_173503.jpg

...for the new.

20190208_174841.jpg

And while it was still jacked up, I started the engine and popped in in 4th. Success :-)

20190208_175537.jpg

Lastly, there was something else in the package...many thanks to MorrisItalSLX!

20190208_180313.jpg

• Spottedlaurel, colc, danthecapriman and 9 others like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
MorrisItalSLX

#1115 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,963 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:02 PM

We had a day of little rain today, and no salt on the roads! So I figured it would be a good chance for a brief test drive, to see how the new carb performed before any kind of tuning (apart from the idle mixture, which I started to adjust). It was a revelation! I was happy with the way it pulled from low revs before, but it felt breathless above about 4k rpm.  Now it feels so willing, and just wants to rev - I still haven't taken it to the red line!

I was actually quite surprised, not that it's super quick, but I was actually expecting it to be worse than the old carbs, before tuning. You do have to mash the pedal into the floor to get (almost) full throttle, which I only discovered in the second half of the video. You can tell when the second set of chokes open up though :-) There's a few mm more travel on the cable, so I may have to make some modifications to get full WOT.

But very happy with that! Only minor problem is that the brake fluid warning light is dimly illuminated all the time, so suspect the float switch my be stuck (level is fine)

• danthecapriman, Burnside, Banger Kenny and 11 others like this

#1116 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,592 posts
  • 57 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:15 PM

‘Fuck me’ indeed!!

Doesn’t that sound sweet aswell as go well!
  • mat_the_cat, mrbenn and LightBulbFun like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#1117 OFFLINE   colc

colc

• Full Members
  • 4,163 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationThe Garden of Ingerland..........

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:18 PM

That does sound sweet..Edelbrock carbs, unlike Holley, usually work pretty well straight out of the box.

• LightBulbFun likes this
You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish

#1118 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,963 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:50 PM

The DIN rail was bugging me, so I had to find a way that I could get rid of it, and drill a hole for the nut insert! This was the best I could come up with, turning a hex drive drill bit with a ratchet spanner :-( (the irony that it would have been an easy job with the front cover off was not lost on me...)

20190210_165042.jpg

But it didn't take too long to break through, and I could fasten the hoses into place for good. It wasn't just for aesthetics, as the hose now has a slightly smoother curve around the corner.

20190210_171834.jpg

So that's the oil hoses complete...

20190209_145151.jpg

...but it struck me how manky the screenwash bottle was! I've never actually taken this off, as when I first got it back on the road I was just concentrating on the basics - and the fixings looked like they would shear off rather than loosen. I did later replace them with stainless bolts (after drilling out the originals), but left the bottle in position. This was what lurked behind:

20190210_173720.jpg

But this was only surface rust, so a once over with a wire brush made it look less of a worry.

20190210_180643.jpg

And tonight I've been cleaning out the bottle and getting rid of the discolouration.

20190210_205135.jpg

• danthecapriman, Burnside, Banger Kenny and 8 others like this

#1119 OFFLINE   N Dentressangle

N Dentressangle

• Full Members
  • 205 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationGloucestershite

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:57 PM

We had a day of little rain today, and no salt on the roads! So I figured it would be a good chance for a brief test drive, to see how the new carb performed before any kind of tuning (apart from the idle mixture, which I started to adjust). It was a revelation! I was happy with the way it pulled from low revs before, but it felt breathless above about 4k rpm.  Now it feels so willing, and just wants to rev - I still haven't taken it to the red line!

I was actually quite surprised, not that it's super quick, but I was actually expecting it to be worse than the old carbs, before tuning. You do have to mash the pedal into the floor to get (almost) full throttle, which I only discovered in the second half of the video. You can tell when the second set of chokes open up though :-) There's a few mm more travel on the cable, so I may have to make some modifications to get full WOT.

But very happy with that! Only minor problem is that the brake fluid warning light is dimly illuminated all the time, so suspect the float switch my be stuck (level is fine)

Love the way that little red car about to pull out at the start of the vid thinks better of it and reverses back!

• colc, danthecapriman, mat_the_cat and 3 others like this

1963 Land Rover SIIA - in a field, probably waiting for next summer

1974 Land Rover S3 - trialler, wood carrier and donkey

1984 Mini 25 - Mrs D's

1993 Range Rover Vogue SE V8 - liability

1996 Mazda Bongo - camper and comfy* cruiser

2010 BMW R1200GS - economical transport

#1120 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,963 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:47 PM

Behind the screenwash bottle I ground away the rust, although there was some pitting remaining.

20190211_204454.jpg

I'm not too worried, as this is just a rough tidy-up job until I consider the engine install truly finished (AC yet to be fitted). At which point I'll probably respray the bay, but until then I'm bound to drop the odd spanner!

I used BH Hydrate 80 to (hopefully) deal with the pitting:

20190211_204827.jpg

20190212_214425.jpg

Then (brush) painted with smooth Hammerite - easy to touch up when I chip it!

20190213_062851.jpg

Looks a lot better now, even if a long way from perfect:

20190213_223056.jpg

• colc, danthecapriman, Burnside and 6 others like this

#1121 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Banned

• Banned
  • 15,859 posts
  • 194 thanks
  • LocationThe next petrol station

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:56 PM

Sounds like it's running damn well now, that is a lovely noise.

• mat_the_cat and LightBulbFun like this
Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was my intention.

Champion cunt in the cunt count 2018.

#1122 OFFLINE   cms206

cms206

• Full Members
  • 5,120 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationSVM HQ

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:50 AM

Mine doesn't sound like that :(

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  • mat_the_cat and RayMK like this

'88 Hyundai Stellar 1.6GSL - GOOOORRRRRRRRRRLD MEDAL