Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Korean Cortina

Project

• Please log in to reply
1070 replies to this topic

#1051 OFFLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 6,419 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

Y..M..C.. Nice piccie ;)

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_0815d58667.jpgSUCKS

#1052 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,819 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationRiding the trough of the fashion wave

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:56 PM

I have a moment of fame with this!

https://www.lancaste...yundai-stellar/

• danthecapriman, Skizzer, catsinthewelder and 3 others like this

#1053 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,768 posts
  • 169 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:58 PM

Can't be a Cortina, it'd have rusted away before you got off that beach!

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#1054 ONLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Staff
  • 18,100 posts
  • 99 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:13 PM

Ha, love they fact they just drop the V8 fact in last minute!

#1055 ONLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 10,298 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:15 PM

"Page Not Found"

#1056 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,768 posts
  • 169 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:23 PM

"Page Not Found"

You need better internets.

MEET THE OWNER – MAT FENWICK AND HIS HYUNDAI STELLAR Tuesday September 11, 2018

In 1997 Mat Fenwick passed his driving test so naturally, he was on the look-out for a set of wheels that was affordable yet reflected his youthful zest for motoring. And then he found the ideal car – a Hyundai Stellar 1.6 GSL:

“I was actually looking for a BX (that’s another story), but this caught my eye as being a lot of car for the money. My Dad owned a Stellar in the late ‘80s, and I remember being drawn to all the gadgets - electric windows, central locking, rear reading lights etc.”

And so, Mat went to see this fine car – ‘and the rest is history’.  In the late 1990s, there was still quite a few examples of the Stellar on the road, and back in 1984 it was only the second Hyundai to be imported into the UK – the first was the Pony. At that time the sales material deliberately targeted Ford owners who regarded the Sierra as far too bold a design.  

The South Korean company had commenced building the Cortina under licence in 1968, and when the Stellar made its bow in summer 1983, it employed the underpinning of the outgoing Mk. V. Its running gear may have been sourced via Mitsubishi, but the chassis and the overall appearance of the Stellar were definitely reminiscent of Dagenham’s finest, even if the two cars had no complements in common.  

Mat’s Stellar is the flagship version fitted with alloy wheels, a stereo radio-cassette and headlamp washers as standard. Inside, the GSL boasted moquette upholstery that was in the Toyota Crown/Vauxhall Royale standards of chintz, and there was lumbar and tilt adjustment for the driver’s seat.

To say that these details would have amounted to considerable showroom appeal is an understatement, as 34 years ago a UK price of £5,494, which meant that it cost less than a basic-specification Austin Montego 1.6 or Ford Sierra 1.6 “Base”.

Motor tested a GSL in 1984, and they clearly understood its intended market – ‘It doesn’t pretend to be the ultimate in engineering sophistication, but for the average erstwhile Cortina or Ital buyer it is a car of great competence at a very attractive price…we were surprised how good it is ’.

The coachwork, by Giorgetto Giugiaro, looked substantial yet  ‘conventional’, and the Stellar appealed to those motorists who craved ‘a real car’ as opposed to one of these FWD hatchbacks. It was also frequently used as a mini-cab; a Stellar taxi was soon as familiar a phenomenon of life in the provinces as punk rockers heading towards their 30th birthdays.

In 1987 the Stellar II offered slightly more svelte coachwork, modified front suspension and the option of a 2-litre engine. The original model became increasingly rare during the 1990s – indeed Mat did not realise how rare it was until it struck him that he hadn't seen another for ages.

The Hyundai amassed 100,000 miles during his first five years of ownership and in 2004 ‘the engine was getting tired’, so he fitted a Rover V8 unit. The Stellar then spent quite a time in temporary retirement but in 2014 it was back on the road, where it creates a stir almost everywhere it goes. Just don’t ask if it is ‘a Cortina’…

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#1057 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,819 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

Probably the last drive of the year in this, as off of holiday tomorrow and doubt I'll tax it for November. So I went for a spin in the hills seeing as it was a lovely evening.

bvh.jpg

20181019_1829051.jpg

Plans for the winter are to replace the carbs with either a 4-barrel Edelbrock, or possibly fit fuel injection. Plus generally tidy up the engine bay, and get the cruise control working again. Mileage is a shade over 198k, so should hit 200k miles next year :-)

• Heidel_Kakao, Richard, dollywobbler and 19 others like this

#1058 OFFLINE   colc

colc

• Full Members
  • 3,802 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationThe Garden of Ingerland..........

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:39 PM

Or Holley 390............

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish

#1059 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,819 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:34 PM

Indeed. I'm concerned the Edlebrock 1404 may be a little too big for optimum drivability (for a 3.5 litre), but from reading around seems easier to tune and keep so.

#1060 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,819 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:16 PM

I've found a suitable used manifold over in the US - works out around £130 plus postage/duty (yet to see what that will be exactly), but will be cheaper than the ~£300 they seem to be over here. I will probably try and go for a new carb for peace of mind and ease of set up, but yet to decide between Holley and Edelbrock. They will both fit the new manifold so no need to rush into a decision.

#1061 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,768 posts
  • 169 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:27 PM

Any possibilities to swap axle ratios or fit an overdrive, it sounds like something it could do with.

• LightBulbFun likes this

#1062 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,819 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, I pondered that a few posts/pages back. I think the top priority is getting the fuelling right first, especially given that it's mostly under 60mph on the roads around here so having a relaxed cruise is less of an issue. Next on the list I think is air con, followed by a diff swap - but at least that will keep me busy for a while!

• Burnside and Hooli like this

#1063 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,768 posts
  • 169 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

I couldn't recall & was too lazy to scroll back :)

• mat_the_cat likes this

#1064 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,819 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:14 PM

Tidying up the engine bay has commenced! This is what it looked like before; you have the relocated oil filter vying for space with the electronic speedo drive unit, the cruise control servo, an aftermarket alarm siren, and a bank of relays. Plus an auxiliary fuse box tucked behind the header tank, which I was unable to easily relocate at the time due to the length of the wires

NS inner wing.jpg

It all looked a bit of a mess, and not like a 'factory' installation.

So with a bit of jiggling things around, I've managed to fix both the cruise control and speedo drive tight to the bulkhead, meaning I could do away with the steel bracket I'd made for the oil filter head. That I fixed directly to the bulkhead, so I was able to move the alarm. The fuse box was replaced with a new unit, complete with LEDs indicating whether a fuse has failed, and was fixed in a more accessible position after extending a few of the wires.

20181104_172119.jpg

I still need to wrap the loom, but have run out of loom tape so that will have to wait for another day. I may tidy up the paintwork a bit, but not a top priority.

• Heidel_Kakao, Richard, danthecapriman and 11 others like this

#1065 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,819 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:46 PM

I took this for a quick trip out last night, seeing as it was dry and only the hill roads are being gritted. It was fun for a while, until I came to a stop and saw clouds of oily smoke billowing out from under the bonnet! I lifted the bonnet to find oil everywhere - while relocating the oil filter I had slackened off the unions, and forgotten to re-tighten :oops:

I nipped them back up, and made my way back home, burning off the split oil on the way. I confess that I hadn't bothered taxing it, as it was only a 10 mile round trip on quiet roads. So the last thing I wanted to do was smoke my way past a couple of police cars! Fortunately they seemed to ignore me, but I'm probably riding my luck a little.

I've been tracking the progress of my inlet manifold as it moves its way towards me from the US. All seemed to be OK until today, when the online tracker showed it's now in Turkey!

thumbnail.jpg

This is not looking promising...

• michael t, Lacquer Peel, Tickman and 2 others like this

#1066 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,819 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:39 PM

It got worse! Yesterday it was showing back in the US again.

image001.png

But then this morning it had been scanned in the UK, and even more surprisingly, later on it actually turned up!

20181108_204448.jpg

Happy to say it looks in great condition, not that there's much which could go wrong with a manifold anyway. Plus it comes with the heater hose connection stub, saving a few quid. Next to find a carb!
  • danthecapriman, Burnside, tooSavvy and 5 others like this

#1067 OFFLINE   colc

colc

• Full Members
  • 3,802 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationThe Garden of Ingerland..........

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:59 PM

Weber 500 worthy of consideration.....Holley 390 good option

• mat_the_cat likes this
You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish

#1068 OFFLINE   rainagain

rainagain

• Full Members
  • 1,457 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationFife

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:17 PM

What about one of those self teaching fuel injection setups that they alway seem to use in Roadkill? Should be a fit and forget solution.
  • mat_the_cat and cort1977 like this

#1069 OFFLINE   cort1977

cort1977

Thatcher shoehorner

• Full Members
  • 1,506 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:41 PM

Have to say that would be a good option. Think you can get the fi tech ones for 800 usd now. I would be happy to assist with shipping if required.

1974 Pontiac Grand Ville Convertible - The Exxon Valdez

1970 Ford Cortina Estate - In a shed in Ireland

Thanked by 1 Member:
mat_the_cat

#1070 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,819 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:45 PM

Looking at it logically, that would be an excellent option. A lot easier to tune, and more fuel efficient, EFI is superior to a carb in just about every way - my favourite description of a carburettor is "an incredibly ingenious and complex device for providing the wrong air-fuel ratio under all conditions of load and speed."

But if I looked at everything logically, I wouldn't be driving this car at all. For some reason I just like the idea of a purely mechanical device controlling the fuelling, plus with EFI the choke knob would be redundant! I haven't completely ruled it out, so the head may yet overrule the heart...

In the meantime a new roll of loom tape has arrived, so I've finished tidying up the wiring.

20181109_1855323.jpg

• Pillock and colc like this

#1071 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 1,685 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:21 PM

Loom tape. Something I really need to get to finish off the injection system on the Lada...

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  1990 Mercedes 208D Auto Trail Navajo.  1985 Sinclair C5.  1973 & 1975 AC Model 70s.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users