Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Korean Cortina

• Please log in to reply
997 replies to this topic

#961 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationRiding the trough of the fashion wave

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:05 PM

460 miles later, and Shitefest has been and gone :-( 7.5 hours behind the wheel to get there, but worth it! After replacing the sender I've noticed that any time sitting in traffic, or slow movement sees the gauge go up to 3/4 scale. This is despite the fans cutting in, and it's not something it did before the engine rebuild even in hotter weather. So either I am genuinely running hotter, or the new sender is more sensitive to temperature changes.

Oil temperature gauge is pretty similar to before, and that's never budged over half way even when working hard. So I'm not too concerned at the moment. But what was a concern is sorting out a cold air feed for the carbs - I'd always noticed it performed better in cooler weather, but Saturday was the first real hot day since the rebuild, and it felt pretty flat TBH. I'd put it down to carrying passengers, but it was little better on the way back so I was getting worried something more was amiss.

However, as I got back to Wales it (predictably!) got cloudy, as well as the temperature dropping in the evening. The difference was more that I'd have believed possible, so it must really suffer from the air filters sitting above the exhaust manifolds. Problem is, the radiator takes up all the space between the chassis rails and headlights, so any air entering the engine bay has already been warmed by the rad, and there's no space to run ducting up top.

However, I had a play around today and managed to route some spare ducting down past the anti-roll bar and into the air stream below the front bumper.

20170604_190750.jpg

The lower end should pick up air through the hole (crudely) cut in the plastic for the towing eye.

20170604_120749.jpg

I'm assuming it was cut that poorly at the factory, as I haven't enlarged the hole but it was handy to draw air through without looking visually different. I may neaten up the routing later if it makes a difference, but I had a BX to re-pipe today so we'll have to see...

• trigger, worldofceri, Banger Kenny and 6 others like this

#962 ONLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 5,869 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationLugbúrz

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

Good to see you found a route for the ducting, Mat - a cold air feed will definitely improve things IMHO.

And I was very impressed with the standard of the engine installation :-)

• mat_the_cat likes this

Never knowingly under-ambitious

'97 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'86 Honda CBX 750F
'82 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana

#963 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:33 PM

Thanks, but the lack of symmetry in the ducting is really bugging me now though!

• John F likes this

#964 ONLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 5,869 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationLugbúrz

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:49 PM

mat_the_cat, on 04 Jun 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

Thanks, but the lack of symmetry in the ducting is really bugging me now though!

Hah, you perfectionists :-D

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'86 Honda CBX 750F

#965 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,735 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:58 PM

Bonnet scoop. Engineer a pop-up one for maximum discretion. Sorted.

• Lacquer Peel and Asimo like this

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1995 Lexus LS400
1997 Honda S-MX, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#966 OFFLINE   Asimo

Asimo

Hondamatic

• Full Members
  • 4,316 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationRe-booting....

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:17 PM

Shaker Hood!

#967 OFFLINE   Rod/b

Rod/b

• Full Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationUnder the bonnet

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:54 AM

Space looks a bit tight but - wouldn't some heatshields under the filters help out?

Alternatively some discreet bonnet vents to let the heat out?

#968 ONLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 4,914 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

I cut the bottom out of my AirBox, on the Savv, and installed a cold feed....

35044363823_c79a0ccdb4_m.jpg

.... infeed was down below the bumper, beside the radiator edge, in a Cold zone :-P

35044369173_914c93c24b_m.jpg

First thing i noticed after the mod was a magic 'inlet roar'... like 40's!!

No idea if it made the car any faster.... fitting the S/S CATback certainly did, though 8)

35044397683_20a86f53e1_m.jpg

TS

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_3f0da8b633_m.jpgSUCKS

#969 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,735 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

This seems a good place to drop this. Thanks Mat! 

• outlaw118, The Moog, mat_the_cat and 6 others like this

#970 OFFLINE   Rod/b

Rod/b

• Full Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:29 AM

I know it's been said elsewhere, but FUCK PHOTOBUCKET. They've basically ruined what is, for me, one of the best threads on here.
  • loserone, Lacquer Peel, Cavcraft and 2 others like this

#971 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

Are there some missing photos on this thread? Think I was mainly using Facebook as a 'host', so that may be why. Will try and sort!

#972 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,735 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:28 PM

Yup. Right at the start. As you say, Facebook at fault rather than photofailbucket this time.

#973 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 5,693 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationGippeswick, which is near the fine place called Bungay!

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

That sound is intoxicating, not what you would expect an old Korean Cortina to sound like at all

Yer can't beat a bit o' Autoshite

Felly :P

#974 OFFLINE   Rod/b

Rod/b

• Full Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:10 PM

That sound is intoxicating, not what you would expect an old Korean Cortina to sound like at all

You say that, it sounds like an air cooled VW on my phone ????

#975 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,735 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

You say that, it sounds like an air cooled VW on my phone ????

I recommend big speakers.

• mat_the_cat likes this

#976 ONLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 4,914 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

Have you seen the 'fairly well aged' 4000 miler over on RR?

Been ziebarted but the running gear looks anchor chain :/

..... needs more mould!

TS

#977 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:28 PM

/\ I hadn't until now, thanks. Another early Cortina-based Stellar; the first I have seen for a while!

I've gone through the photos on this thread so hopefully all should work now :-)

#978 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

After replacing the sender I've noticed that any time sitting in traffic, or slow movement sees the gauge go up to 3/4 scale. This is despite the fans cutting in, and it's not something it did before the engine rebuild even in hotter weather. So either I am genuinely running hotter, or the new sender is more sensitive to temperature changes.

Aha! The problem was actually down to one of the connectors for the nearside fan becoming dislodged, so I was only getting half the airflow when it got hot. A nice easy fix!

• Heidel_Kakao, Rusty_Rocket and Hooli like this

#979 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

I've just watched the video again and am grinning much like Dollywobbler! Because I can go out and do that again whenever I like :-)

Very well done, thanks. A couple of points you mentioned - the petrol smell is puzzling. It should be fuelling ok now but there are definitely fumes getting in, although I can't find out where. And the gear linkage isn't specifically designed as a short shift kit - it's because the linkage is from a Freight Rover van (to get the lever in the right place) but is obviously designed for a 3 foot gear lever on top!

#980 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

350 fun miles today, with the only problem being a blown fuse for the cooling fans. The seem to be OK now, so I'm not sure why it had blown - I initially thought the problem was more serious when I replaced the fuse to no effect, so I assumed the new one had blown instantly. Fortunately it was just my ineptitude in pushing a blade fuse into the terminals, and I'd somehow managed to not make a connection (I blame all the people who for some reason wanted to strike up a conversation as soon as the bonnet was opened!)

On my favourite mountain road the skies cleared as I approached, so I thought I'd strap my phone to the rear view mirror and take a video. Perfection :-)

• Banger Kenny, loserone, Sigmund Fraud and 3 others like this

#981 ONLINE   RayMK

RayMK

• Full Members
  • 713 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationMidlands

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

Fabulous!  

When you left the bonnet open at the festival, it was great to see people's reactions when they realised that this was no ordinary Stellar.  Eyebrows fluttered, jaws dropped and smiles broke out.  One chap said that Hyundai should have marketed a V8 version.  

• mat_the_cat likes this

#982 ONLINE   quicksilver

quicksilver

Renault 6 rescuer

• Full Members
  • 1,448 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationthe universe of infinite turtles

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

I properly love this beast, it's the ultimate Q-car. Nothing here to give away the secret and ostensibly it's another 1.6 GSL like the other two. Some amusement was had when Mat arrived behind a TR7 and everyone assumed the V8 burble was coming from that so there were a lot of double-takes and incredulous remarks.

stellars.jpg

• Banger Kenny, mat_the_cat, RayMK and 2 others like this

Always look on the Shite side of life

1999 Vauxhall Zafira - shit or shite?

1978 Austin Maxi - proper shite or proper classic?

1972 Renault 6 - genuine garage find

Rusty Old Rubbish - a shite blog about shite and stuff

#983 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:35 PM

I had a conversation with one chap who hadn't realised Hyundai had sold to the UK this early, so I explained that one of the marketing aspects was aimed at those people who thought the Sierra too modern - and indeed criticised the Sierra in one of their adverts. His response was that Hyundai should have made more of 'their' V8 engine, and there would have been no contest. So I then had to point out that the engine wasn't original...

I also overheard another bloke talking to someone, and saying that the cool air ducting looked like a non-standard addition :lol:

IMGP8198.JPG

• M'coli, worldofceri, Banger Kenny and 6 others like this

#984 ONLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 5,869 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationLugbúrz

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:30 AM

It has to be said though, Mat, your V8 installation looks OEM.

Hats off, etc.

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'86 Honda CBX 750F

Thanked by 1 Member:
mat_the_cat

#985 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 5,693 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationGippeswick, which is near the fine place called Bungay!

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:40 PM

If this was a Badermatic,it would be Junkman's perfect Stellar. Serious credit due for such a neat looking conversion, totally stock looking with the bonnet shut

Yer can't beat a bit o' Autoshite

Felly :P

Thanked by 1 Member:
mat_the_cat

#986 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

MOT time today, and a fail :-(

Imbalance of the brakes across the rear axle, which is a repeat of last year's fail which was down to a leaking seal on the axle. Same side which is down this year, so I'm wondering whether my clean up of the brake shoes didn't do a good enough job. It obviously was enough to pass the test straight afterwards, but maybe oil is impregnated in the friction material?

I can't think of anything else that would affect both footbrake and (to a slightly lesser extent apparently) the handbrake. Lack of adjustment would just give more pedal/lever travel. I'll pop the drum off tonight and have a look...

In other news the weather is as depressing as usual. Grey and rainy, but at least makes for nice beading photos if you're into that kind of thing!

20170811_1720491.jpg

20170811_1721011.jpg

• Heidel_Kakao, worldofceri, cobblers and 5 others like this

#987 ONLINE   RayMK

RayMK

• Full Members
  • 713 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationMidlands

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

MOT time today, and a fail :-(

Imbalance of the brakes across the rear axle, which is a repeat of last year's fail which was down to a leaking seal on the axle. Same side which is down this year, so I'm wondering whether my clean up of the brake shoes didn't do a good enough job. It obviously was enough to pass the test straight afterwards, but maybe oil is impregnated in the friction material?

I can't think of anything else that would affect both footbrake and (to a slightly lesser extent apparently) the handbrake. Lack of adjustment would just give more pedal/lever travel. I'll pop the drum off tonight and have a look...

In other news the weather is as depressing as usual. Grey and rainy, but at least makes for nice beading photos if you're into that kind of thing!

attachicon.gif20170811_1720491.jpg

attachicon.gif20170811_1721011.jpg

I was going to offer you a NOS set of shoes for free but I suspect that yours, being an earlier model, will require the simpler looking variety - and I am not sure if mine would be compatible with your backplates and/or cylinders .  I recently had similar imbalance on mine at MOT time and thus bought new ones off eBay. On collection, the seller was so pleased that somebody wanted them, he gave me another set rather than walk back to his house to find £2 change.   

Edit: Branded as 'Direct Components' Part no. DS1-264 (Hyundai/Mazda) with BW1099 added in felt tip.  Asbestos free.  I can't easily add photos on this Mac but can do so upstairs on my ancient netbook if you think the shoes may be useful.

#988 ONLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 4,914 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:09 AM

I was going to offer you a NOS set of shoes for free but I suspect that yours, being an earlier model, will require the simpler looking variety - and I am not sure if mine would be compatible with your backplates and/or cylinders .  I recently had similar imbalance on mine at MOT time and thus bought new ones off eBay. On collection, the seller was so pleased that somebody wanted them, he gave me another set rather than walk back to his house to find £2 change.   

Edit: Branded as 'Direct Components' Part no. DS1-264 (Hyundai/Mazda) with BW1099 added in felt tip.  Asbestos free.  I can't easily add photos on this Mac but can do so upstairs on my ancient netbook if you think the shoes may be useful.

https://www.ebay.co....-929/1229778450

..... like in this pic?

TS
  • RayMK likes this

#989 ONLINE   RayMK

RayMK

• Full Members
  • 713 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationMidlands

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

Yes, thanks.  The earlier shoes have fewer cutouts on the inner profile.  I paid £8 for mine, gave the chap a tenner and, as mentioned, got another set rather than him looking for change.

• tooSavvy likes this

#990 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

I was going to offer you a NOS set of shoes for free but I suspect that yours, being an earlier model, will require the simpler looking variety

Thanks Ray, that is a very kind offer but not needed as it happens. Mine is actually a Cortina 2.3 axle, which is the same as the early Stellars so shoes are fairly easy to find and I have a spare set anyway!
I popped off the drum last night only to find a repeat of last year's problem of a leaking oil seal :-( I did a spot of Googling and this thread seemed to be talking about similar problems:

As the leak was very small I've just cleaned up the oil for now, and took it round for a restest today which it passed!

20170812_2026561.jpg

To celebrate I went for a little drive into the mountains, up a little-used track to a small lake which is a good spot for photos.

IMGP8230.JPG

IMGP8232.JPG

IMGP8239.JPG

So much fun :-D
I'll still need to pull the halfshaft to see if I can stem the trickle, but that can wait a little while...

• danthecapriman, loserone, John F and 6 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users