This week I've been waiting to go over and collect the heads and pistons (which they'd offered to put though the washer for me, no charge), so I've been busying myself with other things. It's a 140 mile round trip so I can only really do it on half day Fridays.
Anyway, I stripped down the starter, cleaned it up inside and out, lubricated the bearings and gave it a coat of paint.
I wanted to torque down the front cover, as it would be a lot easier to do the cover bolts now rather than with the engine in. But I was reluctant to tighten just the lower bolts without the water pump in place, and I can't fit the pump now as I need the clearance to lower the engine in! So after cleaning up all the threads I used some spacers to allow the long water pump bolts to clamp down the cover, which I'll remove before fitting the pump.
Heads were collected this afternoon, and look nice and shiny!
As one had already had a skim, they took more off the other to match them up, and compensate for the thicker composite gaskets. I also asked them to machine the guides to accept oil seals.
I was initially not too sure of this, as I was worried that the earlier cast iron guides actually needed the lack of seals to allow enough oil to lubricate them. But a lot of people have had this done, and some engines are designed with these guides and seals, so I figure it should be safe to do so. I guess the graphite in the iron helps with lubrication, and *some* oil will still pass the seal.
The pistons are pretty clean now, but I still will need to clean out all the grooves with a broken bit of ring. So that will probably be my task for tonight!
I've dropped off the flywheel with them for lightening and balancing, so will probably collect that in a week or two.