Ebay shite accessories and giffer trinkets

Alexg

In a similar vein, I started an argument with a local history Facebook page showing an old hospital building apparently from the 90s.

They didn't appreciate me asking if there was a classic car meet that day judging by all the obviously 70s cars outside.

Guest Breadvan72

The same place also sells C17 and C18 county maps, including some Saxtons and even some John Speeds, at reasonable prices.

I've long wondered how much enjoyment could be had from undertaking a journey somewhere using one of these road maps - like Portsmouth to Ipswich without using an M road. It'd obviously take ages but might be an interesting way to see some less-visited parts of the country. Or you might end up driving into a quarry or something...

You can simulate 1950s road travel by not using anything more speedy than a winding A road, preferably sticking to meandering B roads that go from A to B via C, within sniffing distance of D, stopping for a breather in E, then doing an about turn and finally getting to B via the F bypass. Extra points achieved by only using obscurely branded pez stops and having a cup of tea in a greasy spoon rendered into suspended animation by the construction of faster roads bypassing it.

You can simulate 1950s road travel by not using anything more speedy than a winding A road, preferably sticking to meandering B roads that go from A to B via C, within sniffing distance of D, stopping for a breather in E, then doing an about turn and finally getting to B via the F bypass. Extra points achieved by only using obscurely branded pez stops and having a cup of tea in a greasy spoon rendered into suspended animation by the construction of faster roads bypassing it.

Just how I like to roll......We did Southampton to Lowestoft last summer in the Cowley like this without using a motorway or modern link road.    Even in newer stuff, slightest sign of any trouble on the main route and the map comes out.   There are some lovely bits of Britain out there..... 

Mind you, it pays to have more than a 1955 AA Handbook in the car when you are late for an appointment in deepest Darset and somebody's taken the direction signs down.

Often you can find deserted A roads where a motorway runs parallel, or close by, to it. Even in this day and age it is possible to travel for miles without encountering another car, it's great! Part of the fun is planning a route avoiding motorways. I found this interesting website - be sure to check out the photo gallery, especially the old road signs!

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/

• 3 weeks later...

I've long wondered how much enjoyment could be had from undertaking a journey somewhere using one of these road maps - like Portsmouth to Ipswich without using an M road. It'd obviously take ages but might be an interesting way to see some less-visited parts of the country. Or you might end up driving into a quarry or something...

There was a BBC program where a guy did just that. I don't remember what it was called but I'm sure it will be on iPlayer at some point.

qu84I8A.jpg

Fake crappy radio so thieves don't see your Goodmans FM Cassette player!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEAT-CRIME-1-FALSE-FRONT-IDEAL-TO-HIDE-YOUR-CLASSIC-CAR-RADIO-/262939421178

My old Polo breadvan had a black card 'cup' that went over the radio, could well have been from the factory for all I know but it was still on there when I bought it from the second owner. I've got it somewhere still to this day.

I had this exact coffee maker about 20 years ago.

Bought it for a laugh at a church fete - a mate had had it for some years and never used it.

Neither did I, but one day, we decided to plug it in and test it.

Well, it draws a battery-killing 10 amps, which means you must have the engine running to use it, and preferably more than idle speed.

AND it takes something ridiculous like 20 minutes to come to the boil.  While your passenger is holding it.

%*@# that for a joke.  Just take a bl**dy thermos.

I remember my parents actually had one of them.

It was for the family road trips to France in the 1984 VW Caravelle we had. Good times, but those black vinyl seats were a bastard on sunny days.

Mrs BV found this in a local antiquey place.  It's an early 1960s motoring atlas - a fold out book of maps in a leather cover. The M1, the only motorway, starts at Watford and ends at Rugby. It's a lovely thing!

On a small point of pedantry shouldn't the M6 be on there as a section of that pre-dates the M1?

http://motorwayarchive.ihtservices.co.uk/en/statistics/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

post-17021-0-11746700-1504132542_thumb.jpg

Yeah, yeah. Parcel shelf speakers. So what?

Here's what:

post-17021-0-58118500-1504132542_thumb.jpg

Potential issues mounting two sets of fake traffic lights on your parcel shelf: none.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-CAR-AUDIO-Mitsubishi-SX-S5-Diatone-Illumination-2-Way-Speakers/142485242526