Once driven, forever smitten!

bigstraight6

For the first time today I drove a P6 Rover, a 3500S, and it was just superb, after having just driven my beloved MK3 Zodiac to the premises of a good friend of mine who runs a classic car restoration business for an estimate on a bit of bodywork, I was offered a go behind the wheel of this...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What a car! I didn't want to take it back and want it badly!, and could if I had £2500 in my bin!

Absolute beauty and in fine fettle.I see it also comes with a cat.(come on someone had to say it!!)Anyway, I keep missing the Rover 2000 around this way - just never have the camera ready - and it's gone, I think it's camera shy!

I had a Mexico brown 3500 many moons ago. Lovely old thing when it was on form. My dad had hundreds of P6 3500s in the 70s, most of my childhood was spent in a P6.

Unfortunately, the P6 also gave me the V8 fetish I've had ever since I was a child. A fetish which has cost me enough to probably buy a reasonable house. At the moment the only car I own which is currently in tip-top form is the Range Rover, so that's the one I'm using. Every time I go to the pub I'm showering people in petrol receipts whilst looking for that elusive twenty that should be in my pocket somewhere. The twenty that the 325i wouldn't have drank for me. Every journey seems to co-incide with the bloody fuel light coming on just as I reach my destination.

Does sound great though.

EDIT- Just noticed that the Rangie wasn't in my sig, so here's a quick pic.

Posted Image

I heard about one of these that come in part ex at another dealer, and was being put out to trade, and when I got there it was gone. I was glad really, I had no money for it and I had a feeling going to look at it would have been about as wise as impulsively going into a pet shop and asking to look at one of the puppies.

Not sure which you are referring to there Vic, but all those mentioned so far would be making me feel giddy. In fact a P6V8 is the only thing I haven't owned. Yet. I don't know why I still find P6's exciting. I have distinct memories of sitting in one, for hours, bored witless in various country lanes while my dad trudged to far flung petrol stations can in hand after his had run out of juice, again. I think that would probably be illegal now. If I left my kids alone at the side of the road in a 20 year old shitter while I went to get juice, social services would be quite unhappy. So I don't tell them. (JKS!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I was referring to the P6, I had the good fortune to get a V8 Vogue, E-registered auto with grey leather, in part ex a couple of years ago. Just the right time, too, bit of snow around. When you kicked it down it sounded very Smokey & the Bandit. Had a nice couple of months with it then reluctantly had to sell it to somebody.

Good. I am sure you have heard my tale of RR woe.A late Vogue has always been on my dream list (as they are from the circa 1990 'concorde moment' of car production). I bought one for £250 from a chap on RetroRides, happy as larry, to replace my Land Rover 109": Just needed some minor weldage, some fuel lines and the LPG conversion finishing.... we drove over to Oxfordshire and back no bother, then I had to scuttle off to do some business leaving the RR in the care of my mate. Whilst trying to impress his then girlfriend (now his wife!) he managed to ram it into a newly restored Mini, knackering the gearbox in the process. BAH!I still want one, hard, but I don't really have the space for one right now. :(

Oh I ain't complaining!Bought as a runner with a sliver of T&T for that, I think I got £400 after the the tax and test had expired and with the kenked box. Just would have been super nice to get a proper job at that cash!The one my crasher mate had was similarly awesome, 3.9 with all the unnecessary bollocks stripped off, 4in lift, huge tyres, lights everywhere, BFO wellers, straight through exhaust and not a single working electronic circuit in sight.

me likes P6s..funny past memory from the Highlands..probably about 1979..coming back from Fort William on the school mini bus..just outside Strontian the double track road becomes single..and a lovely gentile tourist couple in their fully loaded P6V8 took it a wee bit fast..met an oncoming and he had to ditch it..unfortunately travelling another 30ms before coming to a stop with two wheels up in the air..http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 741280.htmprices for them here are realistic or mad..