Thinking about a 4x4 but dont want a tanklander

Father Ted

You won't want a Cavalier GSi 4x4 either then Marty. You had to replace all four tyres at the same time or it nadged the transfer box up and they didn't need an excuse to throw their hand in either.How about an 8V Cav 4x4 (if you can find one) or a 405? Both'd be a good laugh I reckon.

How about a Kia Sportage? Car like to drive but seemingly quite capable of going off road. My sister bought one for my mum but she didn't like it because it was too plush and prefers her agricultural old Daihatsu Sportrack instead. The Sportage has an injected 2.0L Mazda twin cam in it so should be pretty reliable and I bet older ones are getting fairly cheap by now.

I've got a Legacy estate at the minute. It's a 2-litre manual with selectable 4wd and low range. Not really done any off-roading with it yet, but it looks like basically the same setup as my old MV pickup, and that was brilliant in the mud.

No adjustable torsion bars on the Legacy though. :) How are you getting on with the Legacy? I might get one as a winter hack - my new commute takes me over some high moorland which is prone to some hefty snowdrifts in the winter.

I've got a Legacy estate at the minute. It's a 2-litre manual with selectable 4wd and low range. Not really done any off-roading with it yet, but it looks like basically the same setup as my old MV pickup, and that was brilliant in the mud.

No adjustable torsion bars on the Legacy though. :) How are you getting on with the Legacy? I might get one as a winter hack - my new commute takes me over some high moorland which is prone to some hefty snowdrifts in the winter.
No, that is one gimmick that the Legacy does without. I never touched the height adjustment on my MV - the handling was precarious enough on the standard setting. I like the Legacy - it's my third, which is usually a good sign with me. They're much more mature than a Prezza, they're reliable and easy to work on for a modern motor - loadsa space to get to the cambelt, the alternator is right on top of the engine and the plugs are easily accessible. It goes OK too for a boggo two-litre and it seems to be pretty good on petrol. The only thing I've come across that's unusually expensive to have replaced on Legacys is the clutch, although this might be cheaper on a part-time 4x4 model than on the full-time ones I've had before. Not that the clutch is anywhere near needing replacing on mine. I think if I were specifically looking for a 4x4 estate the Legacy would be my second choice behind a 2-litre Sierra, but 2-litre 4x4 Sierras are few and far between - the 2.9s are more common but too juicy for everyday use unless LPG'd up. A 100 Quattro, W124 4matic estate or an E34 525iX would also be nice, if more expensive to run. My worry with some of the other suggestions (Mondeo, 405, BX etc) is that 4x4 versions are so few and far between that getting 4x4-specific spares from anyone other than a main stealer is going to be nigh on impossible.

your all wrong :P

Posted Image

Now that is a thing of beauty 8) Where is this located and for what purpose was it built??? I assume Paris-Dakar....

Corrugations on bumpers, doors & bodyshell, plus door mirror mount point say MK 1, but the quarterlights are missing. I've never seen that before.....

I've fallen in love, it just looks right 8):D8):D8):D

Don't touch a W124 4Matic under any circumstances. Make a Cav 4x4 look like a paragon of reliability.Another bonus on Subs is the engine is non-interference, so if the cambelt breaks it's a bummer to set the timing again but you don't need to worry about bent valves. I'd always thought that all Subarus were juicy on fuel relative to their engine size, but since Mrs W's 1.8 auto Accord is averaging about 29mpg at the moment (heavy urban bias mind) I'll revise my judgement. I'm too used to 55mpg really...That homebuilt 4x4 405 1.9TD wagon on the Bay a few months ago would have been ideal really.

These things are a bit of an oddity

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-SUBARU-IMPRE ... 0303448722

Non-turbo nutter spec Impreza?

My daily is a 1.8GL - (FSH, 12m MOT £600)

Not very quick, buy they handle great, and low range useful for crawling in M6 traffic!

Non-turbos came in 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 flavours so take your pick. Beware, the ultra-povo ones were only fwd, turbos and some imports have no low range.

Thanks RW for the cambelt info, it's a slight relief, mine is well overdue for a new one...

I had one of these, too. Nothing handles better, but not as quick as it should be (1.6), haven't seen one for yonks.

This swift-shaped Justy is basically the same underneath, but more common, and 1.3. I prefer the older ones - pre facelift, Wuvvum spec, 1997 only I think.

Posted Image

The older Justys were part-time 4wd, you'll want full time AWD if you like pulling Gs in the bends.

I've had a Panda 4x4, too (lever engaged part time) great round town and light off roading, but not for the motorway...

Considered a Forester? My old man's S Turbo surprises many.

Non-turbo you get low range;

Turbo: you get scared.

Off topic edit: I just collected some new 175/80/14 snow tyres for my Scoob steels, from Dewsbury area (Hirst's parish) £10 each, the fella still has 4. Anyone want his number?

Audi Quattro. Not sure how the lesser-motored ones perform, I had a 90 Quattro 20v with the 2.3 5-pot and it shifted nicely but had the diff lock for when you really get stuck, and you can turn the abs off when you need to stop, downhill, in mud :) Believe you can get 1.8 and 2.0 models with the Quattro drivetrain in an 80 body and they still have all the right buttons too, but you'll lack the 180bhp performance and full goodies mine had :)Mine was £250 from a salvage yard with a dented bootlid and broken ignition switch, drove beautifully for a year and then i got £600 for it.

• 2 months later...