How shite is a Xantia Turdblow Diseasel?

Timewaster

New job means I am going to be doing quite a few 100 mile+ trips on courses and postings all over the place.Much as I like the AX, its not the thing to do 500 miles a week in - so I am thinking Comfy, Cheap to run even cheaper to buy.I have been trawling Ebay for an Ex-auntie diesel.I know about the paper mache heater matrix which means stripping the car to every last nut and bolt to get at, but is there anything else I should know?What mpg am I likely to see on a long run?Anything else I should consider?I dont really care about performance (I've still got the cossie hidden away for that).I would even consider a slushomatic - although the comfy seats, "magic carpet" ride, slushbox and 5 am starts might make me a gently snoozing road statistic! :wink: I'm no stranger to a 405, but TD ones seem to be thin on the ground lately.

ZX Estate would be a left-field choice; still a few about and big enough to carry tonsastuff, as well as being comfy. Plus cheap. So I like 'em. Mainly non-TDs around, mind.I don't know much about Xantiae, other than - hard-bouncing suspension means new spheres required, lots of clicking means a new accumulator sphere is required, any leaks are bad, and they rust around the rear door shuts.But the DERVler engines I know a bit more about. Not much though! Check out http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk, they know their onions there and also have a semi-lively for sale subsection.Nonturbot diesels apparently never eat head gaskets, but the turbo's do. So watch out for that. Temp gauge should never go above 90C, even when caned. Start one from cold (check for white smoke/rough running for a few seconds - chances are it will be the glowplug behind the fuel pump which is a bitch to get to), see how the temp rises. It should take another ice age to reach 90C at idle from cold, so walk away from anything that shoots up there quicker. Check the heater generates heat!Check the rad isn't going to fall apart and the coolant isn't rusty. Also listen out for grinding noises at idle - a sure sign the fanbelt tensioner is going to fall apart and take lots with it.Any funnies in the steering, brakes and suspension dept - Pug or Citroen, doesn't matter which model - should not be tolerated. Basically, if you know 405s, you'll know how well they ride and handle. I am led to believe that Xantias are squashier, and ZXs are good fun.A/C is unlikely to work at shite level, so go for a leccy 'roof instead.My 405 TDs get around 48mpg in mixed use, rising to 54-55 on a long run (say Newbury to Bradford and back, no more than 70mph indicated). And they shift pretty smartly when they need to as well. No idea what a non-turbo drives like, but some seem to think they're worth an extra 5mpg when cruising. Dismiss any talk of "60mpg all the time M8" as bollocks.j-j will be able to fill you in on a non-turbo Xantia auto driving experience, but I seem to recall he said it wasn't the greatest M-way cruiser.Don't be tempted by a cheap 1.9TD 406 - they're just too heavy for the engine. And check the spare wheel is still there, if it's an underslung jobbie on the model you are looking at...Bigstraight6 might still be selling his dad's 405D which seemed a fine example to me, might be worth a check?

Expect a little over 40mpg from a Xantia TD, like the 406 it's really a bit too heavy for the engine. Most have a Bosch pump so they can run on veg if you can find any at a sensible price.The suspension isn't that hard or expensive to work on and generally just gets on with its job. Strut tops are a weak spot. Reject any Xantia with soft or flaky bits in the strut top- or at least knock £100 off the asking price.Other than the suspension the inspection process is the same as any other old French car.

Yep, just what they said! I'd just add that the probs with Citroen suspension are a myth - it's not hard to fix, it's dead easy to service (actually easier than metal suspension) Change the fluid and filter (one hour job) and you've serviced the brakes, steering and suspension in one go. Only small problems with suspension like spheres mentioned - easy fix, and the links between the anti roll bar and the leveling valves - they can come off due to wear, the link is plastic and costs about 4.99 or something from the stealers. The symptom of it is the front or rear suspension going high and staying there, again, easy to sort.Xantia is a brilliant car and just edging into prime shite status now to make it worthy. Get an SX level model and you get full electric windows and mirrors etc. Nice interior and fogs and such. Getting the VSX model gives even more toys but then the car comes with computerised suspension with 2 extra spheres - if you're not fussed about getting that then it's best avoided. The coolest Xantia is the Activa with fully active suspension but it's only a Petrol turbo in GB and there are even more spheres on that (9 I think) and it can go wrong and do bizarre things at traffic lights such as rocking from side to side.2.1 Derv is the unit to have but the 1.9 in any form is so dependable (has been since the mid 80s) that you'd have to drop it in a lake to go wrong. Yes, I had the rare non-turbo type. It's not fast but it's surprisingly nippy around town. On the open road it finds it's upper limits too early for most tastes I'd say. I say give one a go - they can be had for spazzy money these days.

Yup, but E39 + LPG must >£1,000, no? Not really cheapo autoshite (but E39s are getting there - I saw a honey of an S-plate 520i recently for £1,995). I dunno what tontops' budget is, but if he's after a Xantia TD let's assume it's < £1,000.Dunno where you are based tontops, or how much work you want to do on one, but on FCF there may still be an early Xantia SXTD for sale with shortish MOT and one or two jobs needing doing for scrap money (£140) in Chippenham, Wilts...

I'd go for a turdblower Xantia myself.Any ZX is gonna be literally falling to bits inside at this stage.The 1.9D N/A is economical enough in the ZX, and it'll do 70mph at 300rpm all day long.If you are looking at buying one, check the rear subframe mounts as they like to separate and are an MOT fail. You'll know if they're gone 'cos you'll have a noise like someone's in the boot banging on the parcel shelf. They should be about 15 quid each on t'bay and about two hours labour. Shonky trim is a given. Central locking, electric windows and front door speakers with a mind of their own should also be expected - most likely down to broken wires from the body to the door.Most of the ZX diseasels I've seen had Lucas pumps, so not much chip fat action going on...And I never liked the seats for long journeys.So to sum up, get a Xantia. 8)

Central locking, electric windows and front door speakers with a mind of their own should also be expected - most likely down to broken wires from the body to the door.

...and are a FUGGING PAIN to sort out properly. I had to try and fix this exact problem, when I parted the connector block on the door hinge it was a mess, looked like someone had been in there with silicone sealant too. Twisted contacts aplenty, in the end I just ended up plugging and unplugging and trying things until the most individual gadgets worked.

Thanks guys! :lol: Im near Cambridge and got somewhere around £500 to burn I guess.I've saw a Xantia for sale at the roadside for half that yesterday - but on closer inspection it was a 2.0 petrol :cry: Mr.Welfare, wasn't that 405 in your fleet for a while? Is it the one that rolled away? *stiffled snigger*I'm now off to multimap to check the distance.

Mr.Welfare, wasn't that 405 in your fleet for a while? Is it the one that rolled away? *stiffled snigger*

No, I still have that one. I bought the one that's for sale again for it's mint driver's seat, front end panels (which is why the paint is flat on the bonnet - my spraygun technique ain't great - but the roof is nowt to do with me!) and alloys with new tyres. I had it for a couple of months but only drove it about 150 miles in total. All the parts I swapped over are fine (paint finish on bonnet and n/s front wing aside - my technique improved for the o/s one!), and overall the car is a goodun. Bosch fuel pump too so she'll do veg. If you think it's a goer and you want to know more, PM me as the new owner (Terry) hasn't really written a lot about it. It's done 128k which is nothing for one of these. Clutch pedal is a bit stiff at the bottom end of it's travel but the plate doesn't slip.Anyway, if you do buy a Xant do bear in mind the rear discs are well known for rollaway so quell that sniggering...

Anyway, if you do buy a Xant do bear in mind the rear discs are well known for rollaway so quell that sniggering...

Fronts.Handbrake works on fronts on BX, DS, CX, Xantia etc (HP sprung ones) [/smug bastard mode]Where is your 405? Im looking for something barge like and diesel myself - but thats to drive round France next year.

Ah bollocks, shows what I know. In common with the Alfasud and original Saab 900 then :lol: Father Ted - it's down in Surrey, so a fair old trek. 'Tis a good motor though.I might know of a pretty much one-owner P-plate Xant 1.8 16v going begging, if it fails it's MOT tomorrow :lol:

BX TZD (1.7TD) better bet as Father Ted suggested. I'm not a huge fan of Xants, but they do have a following of osrts. I can tell you if you get a ride in a green blooded Citroen with decent suspension you'll never find a comfortable as car again most likely.If you're not fussed about speed get an n/a 1.9 dieseasel and poverty spec so less daft electrical problems to go wrong.

For just a few quid more, why not look at a Xsara Unpicasso; hatch, estate or coupe(ish) versions were made. Early ones had the 1.9 D or TD, and being Pug 306 based, are a reasonable drive. The povert spec ones have none of the bits that seem to cause problems, although they all seem to have a healthy appetite for front brake discs. Don't go for the petrol 1.4 though, it is completely gutless; the one I used to own was passed by a service bus as it struggled up the 1 in 7 drag of Clee Hill :(

On a similar vein early 3 door Multispaz'z are now banger money - esp the 1400 and 1900 petrol ones - the 1900 DW8 dizel is slow, but frugal. Actually they are all bloody slow, and of course you run the risk of looking like postman pat - even if you buy one of the hideous nuclear waste green or incontinent cat yellow ones.For maximum fun try and find one with the roll back roof.