AS in the community: Cannock Motor Auctions

chaseracer

I used to enjoy a visit to the car auction at Ormskirk, which was about the nearest to me in the 70s and 80s.  There was a LOT of old rubbish going through (it was the aforementioned Russell's prime hunting ground, after all, both as buyer and seller!) and I even bought one...

attachicon.gifVictor.jpg

January 1986, and I came away with this, which I'd just taken pity on.  It was almost the last one through, and did at least drive, which was something!  I'd taken a mate because I was actually planning to buy something, I just didn't know what.  77.50 including buyer's premium.

Carl, who drove it home for me, would buy my MG Maestro 20 years later.....

Eddy That victor looks great, love the ominous looking tide mark on the valence. What did the victor turn out to be like? Id love to have been around the auctions at around that time

Great thread, and a nice day out by the looks of things. Bet the people watching aspect was interesting who was going for what etc

That's the "after" picture! :mrgreen:   I bought it with a black tidemark, which was unappealing, so I prettied it up with some blue striping tape and a leftover can of Ford Olympic Blue.  It actually wasn't a bad car, but it was a bit low-spec, being an 1800 base model.  I came to it from a Granada 3.0 GL auto so you can imagine the drop.  But, I had to replace the Granada, it was a bag of shit, and the Victor filled that gap.  I sold it on to a mate and he kept it for several months.  Meanwhile I replaced it through Russell, with the infamous Maxi From Hell.  Those were the days, he and I would buy just about anything that could move!

Bet the people watching aspect was interesting who was going for what etc

It really was. It interesting to see who goes for what and how much they are willing to pay. You could tell who the dealers were and who was there buying a car for thier own personal use. The dealers would buy up 4/5 motors, some of them were in groups of 4/5, some on thier own. The buyer of the Dark-Red Rover 75 for example won it at £950, paid up and left the auction soon after with his new purchase (lucky sod). Some car dealers would stay behind until the bitter end, but most people had left.

Popular motors attracted crowds to the car trying to open up doors and asking the driver what it was like, then there were unpopular cars where not one person would approach it. There would probably be one person, but thats all.

And then there were the chancers. During the auction, a re-sale Silver Mercedes C220 Diesel went through, it sold for £970 but the bidder disappeared to which the auction was halted for a minute until the bidder could be found. He obviously wasnt as the Mercedes then made a re-appearence this time selling for £1,020 or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Return match, Tuesday 21st January? Who's in?

Had a slight panic as thought it was my Son's Birthday (but its the 26th) so looking forward to this one. Probably have to come straight from work though, so looking forward to the burger for evening meal.

What time are we meeting up?

Cheers

- Dave -

I'd be up for this, it's just over half an hour for me (and I'd be happy to collect anyone between Leicester and Cannock) (and take them back too)

Helpfully, my work rota indicates I'm working in places unknown that day so I'll confirm closer to the time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...