AS in the community: Cannock Motor Auctions

chaseracer

I assume here.

OK, I'll be at the Hollies on the A5 from around 9am, getting myself outside something from this fine selection of comestibles... http://www.m6services.co.uk/cafe.html

Look for the silver Merc W124 outside and the grumpy fat bloke inside  ;)

May not be there for 09:00 for a sarnie, but will be there for around 09:45

I'll be the shorter, fatter bloke in a Xantia

- Dave -

Never mind, Dave - hope princess_gadget is feeling better  :)

As well as yours truly, we had FPB7, outlaw118, Lord_Sterling, Junkman and V40ish (who has incriminating photographic evidence). Many loffs were enjoyed, much chod observed and a lot of 'bad' food ingested. High points? A probate-sale 'old giffer' 75 Tourer, a 300,000-mile Multipla, a £290 Mundano and a functioning Ford Exploder for less than 400 quid. 'Low'? A very barried Clio!

We'll be doing it again, definitely.

Excellent! A great day was had by all watching all these broken down/poor excuses for motors struggling thier way into the sale room whilst badly dressed, overwieght blokes with wads of cash bid on these motors. (Well, I say badly dressed, but of course theres me in my 'Arfur Daley' Camel-Coat)

Not only that, but I got to meet some more great faces from Autoshite, have a laugh and even got a ride in Junkmans Rover P6 V8. Because of this, I have decided that I must buy a P6 very soon :D

One thing I noticed in the auction was that alot of Japanese stuff, particularly Toyota Avensii made quite high prices, of course, other stuff like Merc C220 Diesels and a smokey head-gasket blowing BMW 116i made over the 1k mark. Golfs/Clios/Vectras didn't make quite so much. So, got a Toyota Avensii? Need rid? Get yourself over too Cannock auction and laugh yourself all the way to the bank.

Anyway, some bad photos:

161120137287_zps91eb9e24.jpg

161120137306_zpsdb312319.jpg

161120137353_zpsb6f0de62.jpg

161120137333_zpsd2bce134.jpg

Rover 75 made £950

161120137303_zps1b89d19c.jpg

This LDV Van was refreshingly hanging.

161120137360_zpsff1021d1.jpg

£400 for this high miles, but very clean Vectra saloon. I would've, I really would've.

161120137357_zpsd453c933.jpg

Food:

161120137312_zpsbe80b14f.jpg

BIG BURGER with even BIGGER ONIONS.

Great day, great people, a good laugh. Thank you guys for making it happen, it was a truely great day with great people. Also big shout out to V40ish for taking me - Thank you, it was great meeting you. Junkman - I promise to bring one of my 800s next time. Gadgetricy - Hope your Daughter gets better soon.

Y'know, being at the auctions today and watching minor mafia types buying cars to punt on has really given me food for thought. Ole_FATHA_Sterling dabbled in buying and selling cars and we used to hang around many over dressed Arabs buying and selling cars on the side of a dodgy well-known street in Brussels. Being at the auction today reminded me of this and I've wondered why I haven't at least dabbled in the buying and selling game. I love cars and love cleaning them up and probably selling them on for profit.

I'm tired now of working for people, tired of waking up in the morning to go and do jobs I don't really enjoy. Yet there are guys out there with wads of cash and a bit of brashness buying up fair motors to punt on. I really think its something I could do, but not only that, I reckon I'd even enjoy it. Since the days of watching my Dad do this, I conform to that type, (used to be) always holding folding and being "dapperly" dressed as that's how I feel to be. However, I think whats lacking with me these days is confidence and folding. Another thing is where to keep the cars and the legalities seem rather daunting.

I guess this'll be a pipe dream.

Y'know, being at the auctions today and watching minor mafia types buying cars to punt on has really given me food for thought. Ole_FATHA_Sterling dabbled in buying and selling cars and we used to hang around many over dressed Arabs buying and selling cars on the street. Being at the auction today reminded me of this and ive wondered why I havent at least dabbled in the buying and selling game.

I'm tired now of working for people, tired of waking up in the morning to go and do jobs I don't really enjoy. Yet there are guys out there with wads of cash and a bit of brashness buying up fair motors to punt on. I really think its something I could do, but not only that, I reckon I'd even enjoy it. Since the days of watching my Dad do this, I've often conformed to that type, always holding folding and being "dapperly" dressed. However, I think whats lacking with me these days is confidence and folding.

I guess this'll be a pipe dream.

why not at least try doing it on the side? one or two motors at a time? it may work out as there are plenty of people who'll buy a cheapie as a stop gap car. a mate of mine in newport used to do it and it always surprised me how much he could shift for a profit and the sort of people who used to buy them. (people with smart moderns who wanted something to take the dogs out in, go fishing in, something to use if they were close to their mileage allowance etc)

Sure, why not?  As you've already said, you look the part; all that's missing is a pitch filled with manky old Visas and Metros that nobody wants.  Oh wait, this is supposed to be supportive, isn't it...

In the 80s I worked with a lad who did exactly this.  He'd buy some cheap old Marina or Viva, either by auction or word-of-mouth, Vulgalour it up and flog it on at a small profit within days.  He's probably still doing it...  He was never without a car, and often had two or three.  I've even had some of his!  Sadly, that includes my hated Maxi, which tarnishes the memory somewhat!

The equivalents of his Marina and Viva would probably be Corsa/306, at a guess.

Glad a good day was had by all. Normality is resuming to the Gadgetgricey household with daughter now feeling much better and my son being a grumpy teenager.

Sort of happy I did not make it, as the Ford Exploder is right up my street of future shite to own. Think I would have been sleeping in it though if I had been there  :-D

Defo count me in for the next one (ones). We could all buy a car to put on Lord Sterlings new pitch and see who makes the most.

Most upset about missing the burger, looked awesome.

Cheers all

- Dave -

It was a proper day out - well for me anyway, up at 5.45, at Hollies by 9.20, met da chaps, drooled over Junkmans Rover, then mileage hunting with LS.

Seriously chaps, if you get the chance to go to an auction, you should; more than anything it shows that there is a world outside of ebay - and there are bargains to be had.

Oh, and I sat in the LDV, and it wasn't as bad inside as outside. Lord of Sterling took more photos of it, including the bizarre silver overspray (white van remember) and the carrier bag fuel cap.

Shonkyseat managed 34.2mpg @ average 67mph on the way home, with the EML blazing a yellow scar into my retina. And when I got out @ Outlaw_Towers, the door seal fell off. GR3.

How much did the Multipla fetch?

EDIT: Where were you Mr Cav, you facking dirty Northern Monkey? :-D

Photo overload due now, here is a dozen of the 50 odd pics I took today:

Beware, the Autoshiters are here

med_gallery_17488_35_183985.jpg

Brown car, yellow trousers, it takes years of dedication to make this look right

med_gallery_17488_35_367477.jpg

The hall of shame

med_gallery_17488_35_143026.jpg

Waiting for their turn under the hammer

med_gallery_17488_35_210962.jpg

I almost bought this, only £300, but I had promised the wife that I won't turn up home with an extra car

med_gallery_17488_35_117280.jpg

291k on the clock and still going strong

med_gallery_17488_35_166021.jpg

Sometimes good taste is what happens to other people

med_gallery_17488_35_157805.jpg

And the lucky winner gets a dent in every panel at no extra cost

med_gallery_17488_35_131536.jpg

Would sir like it in red, in brown, or something in-between

med_gallery_17488_35_57887.jpg

This is what happens when you have one curry too many

med_gallery_17488_35_141309.jpg

Thanks to all the others that turned up for an entertaining day out, hope to see you all again soon at some random event.

That was great fun, we must do it again!

Quite an interesting demography. Although, it was a tad void of barges.

My wife is a bit disappointed, since I returned without making a purchase.

The way back was not entirely without incident though.

I left Cannock northbound on the A34 since I was not in the mood to take the motorway.

I made it to Stafford, where the council tax is used to put a traffic light at each and every intersection.

This leads to stop and go traffic regardless how few cars are on the road.

After the 87th traffic light, the gearbox of the haunted Rover decided to make funny noises and a lot

of slippage was had. I just made it into the car park of a Halfrauds. A quick check revealed that the

gearbox was indeed low on fluid. Hellfords of course didn't have the correct type, so I put in a pint of

Dextron II, which was the cheapest. The slippage was gone and I decided to rejoin the M6 so I can

pamper the car home at a constant speed and load.

Despite the gearbox worked properly now, it started to make weird noises again and I pulled out at

the Stafford Services. This is when a few spiders decided to jump ship.

I let the car cool for an hour and then continued with no further issues whatsoever.

I would say that Lord Sterling was taking a close look at more of the chod than the rest of us but I really liked a tidy Alfa 147 (£650) and also the Proton Gti that went for only £300. I may well be back with cash as next year I want a trackshite car.

For a sub £500 winter snotter then there was a load of choice.

I used to really enjoy going to Colchester car auctions on budget car night, would have been about 13 years ago, back when Volvo 340s and MK1 Fiestas were going for £15 each.

There was always a keen sense of humour at the rostrum, too. I remember a Vauxhall Carlton 2.2iCD going through, tidy enough except that nice Vauxhall "Family" smell of burnt oil in the air. It seemed like everybody in the hall wanted to have a bid on it, so the fella calling out the numbers allowed bidding in 5P increments.

The Carlton ended up going for something like £37.25 or something, when nobody wanted to go the extra shilling.

I've probably told that tale before with totally different details. Early onset Alzheimers.

I used to enjoy a visit to the car auction at Ormskirk, which was about the nearest to me in the 70s and 80s.  There was a LOT of old rubbish going through (it was the aforementioned Russell's prime hunting ground, after all, both as buyer and seller!) and I even bought one...

post-4559-0-96007300-1384690222_thumb.jpg

January 1986, and I came away with this, which I'd just taken pity on.  It was almost the last one through, and did at least drive, which was something!  I'd taken a mate because I was actually planning to buy something, I just didn't know what.  77.50 including buyer's premium.

Carl, who drove it home for me, would buy my MG Maestro 20 years later.....