New Shite Aquired!

Torsten2001

I had (and killed) two of these 50cc bad boys when I lived in Zante.

Posted Image

50 KM/H top speed (redlined on the speedo at that).. could do 70 KM/H 2 up for short periods. Zante is only small, so that's what it did all day. Used to last about a month between engine seizures until it ended up on a 50% oil / petrol mix.

I'll have to see if I can find another sometime.

I had (and killed) two of these 50cc bad boys when I lived in Zante.

Posted Image

50 KM/H top speed (redlined on the speedo at that).. could do 70 KM/H 2 up for short periods. Zante is only small, so that's what it did all day. Used to last about a month between engine seizures until it ended up on a 50% oil / petrol mix.

I'll have to see if I can find another sometime.

Those things used to be quite popular with the 14-year-olds in France in the early '90s, before the Yamaha BW'S was introduced in '92 and instantly became the darling of the acned set. I was rather dubious about the handling of something with wheels that small though, so I bought myslef (or my dad bought me) an MBK Swing instead (basically an updated Mobylette with kick start and electronic ignition - would do 45mph on the flat) which was much more stable.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a Yamaha QT50 from 1981!

That looks very much like the Honda Express that a mate bought himself in about 1997. That thing was anything but nippy - 28mph flat out, and hillstarts were best carried out with assistance from the rider's legs. I remember riding from Norwich to Cromer one October evening to get fish and chips (the things you do when you're 18) with him on his Express and me on my RS100 - I just wanted to get there and get in the warm, but I had to stay with him buzzing along at 28 and it took an absolute fugging age to get there. So I'm not a big fan.

paid a visit to my local Yamaha main stealer this morning. Thought i'd give 'em a laugh by enquiring about the availability of some bits for my QT50, but to my suprise, they rolled out the 'fiche & hooked me up with a brand new shopping basket for the front: £19.81 & a new rubber seal for the petrol cap: £2.36! Well impressed! It's coming from Holland & should be here by Friday! :lol: