Dollywobbler's Daihatsu - MOT of fail

dollywobbler

I'll stop clogging up the News thread and will keep my pathetic wittering to one, easily ignorable thread. 

So, I've got cash sitting around and a driveway that looks a little bare. New car has no real requirements, other than it must be fun to drive around here, as that's where I do most of my driving. For that reason, I've decided barges are definitely out. So, we're talking Astra-size or smaller. Ford Puma is still a possibility - they're stupidly cheap. Fiat Coupe did briefly end up on my list but to be honest, I just don't need that sort of power, even from a non-turbo. I like getting the most out of an underpowered car rather than worrying about my licence in something with plenty.

That leaves me considering things like this.

(dead link)

Three-pot engine, tiny, £595 asking price. 

Or this.

(dead link)

Four cylinders sadly, another VW I know, but check out that interior!

(dead link)

There's actual colour in there! £500 opening bid, will no doubt fetch more.

But what I think I really want is one of these.

(dead link to a Daihatsu Sirion)

Great colour, but slushbox (on a 1-litre!) and bleedin' miles away.

Anyone got any other tiny-terror suggestions? Budget is £800.

I don't fit inside AXs. I hate hate HATE the driving position. Mrs Wobbler had one when I met her. I tried replacing it with a Rover 400. She hated it. We then replaced it with the Mini, which she adored. (in a slightly neglectful kind of way)

I can't really get excited about Micras and MGFs are far too sporty. I really do fancy a triple-pot engine again. That said, I've been sniffing around a 1-litre Skoda Estelle. Considered it a bit feeble, but it can't be much worse than most of the above!

I've got a Lupo, competant little cars. Handling is okay, if a little rolly/understeery. Mines a 1.0 8v and is/was a nippy little bugger to around 50 then it started to run out of puff.

If you like fords how about mk4/5 fiesta? cracking little cars if can find one that isn't rotten.

Equation for shite win: burnt orange mk4 5 door + 1700 puma engine (drops straight in) = a lot of upset audi driving twats.

Then what you need is a Perodua ! Like a Daihatsu, but with proper shite credentials ! Cheap as chips, too.

A Perodua Kenari is already in my watch list. Oh, and a Kelisa too. I draw the line at the Nippa, but only because they rarely have rear wash/wipe. That's a povo step too far.

Having said all of the above, a Cortina Mk4 estate has recently added itself to my watch list. It's reasonably priced, which means it'll be gone by morning I guess!

Fiat Cinquecento sport?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Cinquecento-1-1-Sporting-/121188523417?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c37661d99

Maybe paint one door red and create an inbetweeners tribute car, make £££££'S DOING STAG/HEN/PROM NIGHTS/BAR MITZVAH'S ETC

OMG SILLY BEARDED OLD MAN HACKS PERSONS EBAY ACCOUNT SHOCKER

i have all those on my watch list :D

cuore looks favrite at the mo although she (the aul wan i call mammy :D) dont like the colour but al least its not a micra - she hates them so much she turned here fone off when i sent her some pics of a nice 04 one :D

I honestly don't understand what's wrong with you lot.

Where am I  here? On some 'which is the best car to bring my little shitters to school with' forum?

I thought this is Autoshite.

Hence I will suggest Autoshite and not some dismal 'I have given up in life' on wheels that doesn't even break down on a regular basis.

Where is the romance in that?

Also, Winter is coming up, so the last thing you want is a car with proper central heating, because that's for financing wussies.

You want something ugly?

Something dismal?

Unreliable?

How about some black ice on the floor on a cold morning?

Some undeniable and certified Autoshite?

Presented on the Mongbay with the usual array of shit photos?

Please, step right this way, Sir:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271290367148

$T2eC16R,!zYFIcIpwKKFBST,EF1eJ!~~60_12.J

That Ami is bloody phwoar! The green interior thing would be next. Nowt wrong with Micra's, fuggin reliable as buggery and pretty nippy. MGF? I have a good un and they are not the fastest thing in the world but they are FUN to drive no matter how mph you is going. Plus they will NEVER be cheaper than they are now.

Of course, I do still have the chance to be a hero, as has been mentioned...

1013435_10151718568193200_1192219964_n.j

May go and offer him £100 today. I think £200 is too much - backed up by the fact that I advertised it in quite a few places for that and no-one was interested. He says there's not much work in getting it going again, I think there's a whole world of pain potentially!

The biggest issues with Ambassadors are locating missing or damaged trim and the rot around the rear pillar glass.  Everything else that can fail is normal old car stuff with the possible exception of the hydragas system but even that's not impossible to sort if you are unfortunate enough for it to collapse on you.  Of course I'm going to encourage you to go for it, but it could be a sensible choice too.

Presently, you have two reasonable vehicles which could do with a little TLC and you're after a third vehicle because you've a nice lump of cash burning a hole in your pocket.  Get the Ambo for a tiny sum - even the £200 asking isn't unreasonable, it sounds like it's been looked after even with the mega miles it's done - and use the leftover cash to treat all three vehicles to some love.  You'll end up with a gigantic hatchback, a fun 2CV and a super practical Discovery.  The amount of crap you can put in the back of an Ambassador is pretty astonishing too, you could probably use it as an impromptu caravan if you really wanted.

Offer him whatever he'd get at the scrapyard, that way if it turns out to be too appalling, you can always make your money back.