Welcome to

Welcome to , like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Horrible* places you have been to in the UK

• This topic is locked
245 replies to this topic

#221 AnthonyG

AnthonyG

• 2,721 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

Watford - got lost driving back from RAF museum in N. London last weekend and accidentally drove round twice. What a hole.  I generally dislike the entire South East now, its just got too many fucking people in it. Surrey is particularly objectionable, the really rural bits of Essex, Kent and Sussex are OK. 

For driving through/round - Hereford, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury - all nice enough but no ring roads/by passes mean major pain - Hereford on a Friday has to be seen to be believed, council putting big supermarkets in the centre of the town dosen't help. Oxford and Cambridge are a fucking nightmare as well.

The worse place i have actually been to is Newport in South Wales, although somewhere in North Lincs came close, so horrible I've blanked the name of the place from my mind. May well have been Scunthorpe. 

• oman5 and purplebargeken like this

#222 AnthonyG

AnthonyG

• 2,721 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:31 AM

Oh, and Luton. How could I forget Luton. Anywhere that makes Dunstable look good has to be pretty awful. 

When I worked for a large dealer chain in the 1990s, I worked in some delightful places. Particular highlights were Sutton in Ashfield nr Mansfield (Vauxhall franchise), Eltham (Ford), Lewisham (Ford - parts dept got held up by a bloke with a shotgun  :shock:) Liverpool Kensington (Ford or Rover, memory fails me) and of course, Luton (Ford). The Christmas party for the SE London Ford garages was in the Circus Tavern in Rainham, an enormous concrete box in the middle of a post industrial marshy wasteland. I got very, very drunk that night.

• warren t claim and RobT like this

#223 londonm

londonm

• 707 posts
  • LocationOil Drum Lane, W12.

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Thamesmead.

#224 Ghosty

Ghosty

• 1,369 posts
  • LocationManchester / Wolverhampton

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Lancashire, especially Blackburn.

#225 srad34

srad34

• 422 posts
  • LocationThat there North Lincolnshire

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Not sure if anyone has missed the aptly named sCUNThorpe, often referred to as Sfrontbottomthorpe on forums, home of the shellsuit, inventor or the pregnant teen with year round murky weather (I blame the steelworks!).

Home for the last 12 years.....great..... 

• brickwall likes this

srad34

Living the rusty dream........

#226 Station

Station

• 7,390 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

Just to confirm once again, I hate Coventry (where I live) and Leamington Spa (where I work).

Coventry is a big road to nowhere with horrible architecture, and Leamington is BORING. It's like the nice part of Chester, but about 200 miles from any water.

#227 Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• 23,379 posts
  • LocationPied Piper of Penniless Pond-life.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

Scotland

*All of that was tongue in cheek, the Scot and the land.

And the winner is....CMS!

#228 minolman

minolman

• 151 posts
  • LocationHiding in the shed

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Whenever I've been "up north" it has felt like a foreign, far-away country, where southerners with "posh" accents like me aren't always welcome.

However there are some seriously beautiful places in the north of England, and some pretty ghastly places in the south. Another vote from me for Milton Keynes, the Ford Orion of towns.

Ditto on the MK opinion.

With regards to the unwelcoming feeling, this may be because since the 1970's there seems to have sprung up a stereotype "southerner moves to the coutry" breed who move up for the unspoiled country, cheaper land etc, then moan about the noise of cows, mash up the roadsides/verges with their Range Rovers, talk down to the locals, get their mates to come and take over the pubs to price out the locals, never use the local shops because [I may be presuming] they get everything sent up from 'town' from places like Fortnums, etc. I've lived in three reasonably nice towns in North Yorkshire or just outside them and in everyone I have known and recognised these stereotypes many times. Occasionally they may join a local society or club tointegrate with the locals, this usually has a couple of results, they either end up trying to 'out local' the locals in manner and deed, or they claim some kind of superior intellect that indicates change is needed. Often resulting in the locals needing changing for their other ex-yuppie mates. I find this all very amusing. I like to live and let live, so I don't react quite the same as many "old and bold", but, for example, there is one old boy hereabouts who doesn't consider another friend of mine as a local and he's lived here nigh on 30 years - with him you have to have at least a couple of generations in the churchyard before you get a nod in the street ;)

On the driving front I live near Harrogate and York, neither of which inspire me and have gone downhill in the last 20 years. Every time I visit Harrogate I get cut up by a woman on a mobile in a 4x4 Audi, Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover or similar, changing lanes, failing to signal on or off roundabouts. No wonder there are so many small bodyshop places, they must thrive on doing scrapes and scratches on these. Obviously these people believe they own the road. Driving into York after about 7.30am allows me a 20 min drive to the outskirts and the truly awful north bypass where it then takes a further 20 or 30 minutes into the city. And the parking...!  Good news ahead is that they are finally widening most of the roundabouts on the bypass. If they'd not ever so obviously done it on the cheap in the first place it would have cost them probably a 5th of what it must be costing now, and with all the traffic chaos in the meantime!

Previously owned - '26 Model T Ford; '49 Cymota, '54 Trojan Mini Motor, '56 Hillman Minx Mk8, '57 BSA Winged Wheel, '60 Thames 300E Van, '62 Hillman Minx S3, '63 Morris Oxford S6, '65 NSU Quickly, '66 Hillman Minx S6, '67 Hillman Minx, '68 Hillman Imp, '68 Austin Cambridge,  '75 Yamaha V50, '78 Austin Maxi, '81 Mini City, '82 Triumph Acclaim HLS, '83 Triumph Acclaim CD, '86 VW Golf, '93 Skoda Favorit GLXiE, '95 Skoda Favorit GLXi, '99 Skoda Felicia Estate, '00 VW Golf - Currently owned '83 Skoda 120EL Estelle, '89 Zastava 311 Yugo, '92 Lada Samara

#229 srad34

srad34

• 422 posts
  • LocationThat there North Lincolnshire

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Just to confirm once again, I hate Coventry (where I live) and Leamington Spa (where I work).

Coventry is a big road to nowhere with horrible architecture, and Leamington is BORING. It's like the nice part of Chester, but about 200 miles from any water.

I worked down in Coventry for a couple of years, granted it was Walsgrave on the outskirts but on the odd occasion that I went into the centre, I agree, its pretty grim, almost as bad as Scunny!

srad34

Living the rusty dream........

#230 MrDuke

MrDuke

• 2,062 posts
  • LocationJunglist Massive

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Regarding southern 'new towns', I can confirm that they were one of the most utterly dumb-arsed ideas to come out of the '50s. I can understand the whole space-age idealism that thought concrete and beige-brick expanses were the future, but the fact that they kept on trying to make them work, decades later when it was obvious how god-awful they were, socially, economically and aesthetically, is unforgivable.

I had the misfortune to be born and raised in Stevenage. In its favour, it has a really clever and intelligently-planned cycle-track network. That's it. When I was young, the Old Town area (where I lived) was still a nice-looking place with character and soul, despite the monstrous sprawl to the south, but they've been chipping away at it ever since, and it now looks like a sick parody of an historic High Street. I could just about stomach the fact that the friendly local indy hardware shops and grocers have been replaced by wine bars and gastro-pubs, but the way that the centuries-old coaching inns now have trendy stainless-steel and glass office blocks looming over them just turns my stomach. I used to respect the fact that even though most of the town was utter sh1t, they kept it looking green, with every estate and office block broken up by trees, parks and flower-beds; now they're laying foundations on every square foot of land they can find. I used to think the Town Centre looked a wee bit crap, with stained concrete and cloudy glass everywhere....... but then the big-name stores pulled out, followed by the smaller & more interesting shops, to be replaced by pound shops, sandwich bars, slot-machine arcades and boarded-up facades - and because anyone with half a brain cell now shops elsewhere, it's full of human detritus waddling around with slack jaws and stained tracky bottoms, variously either screaming at their bastard children or lusting after the nearest overspill of back-fat and VPLs, depending on gender. In the words of Morrissey: "come, come, come nuclear bomb."

Wow, that was quite therapeutic. Apologies to anyone who still lives there and likes it.

MK: Slightly better execution than Stevenage, in that they didn't f**k up an existing town, but started from scratch. Still thoroughly uninspiring and rather depressing array of blandness. I have a grudging regard for the way that they kept each estate area separate, like mini-towns with their own shops etc: at least they tried to give them a sense of community in their misguided way. I just really wish that they hadn't made all the main roads completely identical in every way - unless you know exactly where you're going, it's a bitch to navigate.

Harlow: Takes the biscuit, possibly on a par with Stevenage but I haven't spent long enough there to make a balanced appraisal. The planning process seems to have consisted of a nominated councillor being plied with cheap booze and kebabs, then vomiting randomly onto a map of the borough, with laughably poor development commencing wherever the biggest chunks landed. I'd dearly love to visit somewhere more soul-destroying, so I could hate it a bit less. I don't have a problem with Essex per se, despite its image - it's where my ancestry lies, and has some quite nice corners.

• Doctormop likes this

I'll misspell search items until the autosuggest gives up, then quickly correct it and hit search before it can respond. These little victories make life worth living.

#231 New POD

New POD

• 1,092 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

For starters, spent most of yesterday driving* round various bits of Coventry. Driving, as in stuck in traffic. Reminded me of watching a tv programme about driving in parts of India. Huge pallets of onions in the road, blokes shoving overladen push bikes around and plenty of 'scene' VW's with chopped suspension and loud music.
Was all a bit new to me!
Driving was horrible.

I went to Coventry Polytechnic, and love the place. So much so that I last visited in 1993.

#232 New POD

New POD

• 1,092 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

The worst town or city I have visited in the last 10 years has to be Burnley.
  • ShiteRider likes this

#233 ShiteRider

ShiteRider

• 836 posts
  • LocationOn the liquorice ride.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Lancashire, especially Blackburn.

To be fair Lancashire does have some very beautiful parts to it. I live in west lancashire (almost on the Merseyside border) and work in east lancashire, Blackburn to be specific, and most of the villages still have their charm and sense of community. The towns however are by and large fucked. Blackburn and Burnley have already been mentioned but it's not just these former industrial towns in decline (you can add leyland, wigan etc) but the old market towns as well.

I went to school in Ormskirk, it was a nice, busy, quite well to do sort of place 10-15 years ago. If you go there now half the shops are empty, there are new McMansions everywhere (my old shool Ormskirk grammar, got flattened and turned into 'executive housing'). The streets are cluttered with road safety measures, and at night it looks like the outtakes from a shit zombie film with alternate hoards of pissed up chavs/students wandering around being cunts.

• Mr Lobster, Banger Kenny and New POD like this

'79 Cortina 1.6 gl saloon - Like herpes. Fun to get, imposible to get rid of.

'82 Cortina 1.6 gl saloon - As much use as a butter dildo
'82 Cortina 2.3 ghia s estate - More awesome than a Lusardi/Fox threesome
'01 VW Lupo - The little kraut gnome in my garden

'02 Fiesta flight- 1959 wants it's engine back.

#234 UmBongo

UmBongo

• 1,089 posts
  • LocationIn The Congo (With Bodie)

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

West Lothian...again.

A place where the local scum ask if you smoke as a precursor to an attempted mugging.

A place that is cold and dank at the height of summer.

A place where halfwits invent new words like hit (it), cooncil (council) and shoaps (shops).

A total hole.

I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done

#235 minolman

minolman

• 151 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

I was told by a friend that Accrington, Burnley and Blackburn are a kind of 'Bermuda Triangle" which is the centre of the UK "flash for cash and claim extra for whiplash" chav training grounds. Is this correct? For safety I try only to go through them by train, ideally on non stopping trains.

• warren t claim likes this

Previously owned - '26 Model T Ford; '49 Cymota, '54 Trojan Mini Motor, '56 Hillman Minx Mk8, '57 BSA Winged Wheel, '60 Thames 300E Van, '62 Hillman Minx S3, '63 Morris Oxford S6, '65 NSU Quickly, '66 Hillman Minx S6, '67 Hillman Minx, '68 Hillman Imp, '68 Austin Cambridge,  '75 Yamaha V50, '78 Austin Maxi, '81 Mini City, '82 Triumph Acclaim HLS, '83 Triumph Acclaim CD, '86 VW Golf, '93 Skoda Favorit GLXiE, '95 Skoda Favorit GLXi, '99 Skoda Felicia Estate, '00 VW Golf - Currently owned '83 Skoda 120EL Estelle, '89 Zastava 311 Yugo, '92 Lada Samara

#236 The Moog

The Moog

• 2,187 posts
  • LocationAccrington .. who the heck are they ...

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

I have just moved there so I hope not!

#237 ShiteRider

ShiteRider

• 836 posts
  • LocationOn the liquorice ride.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Yes it is, i work in a body shop in blackburn.
  • minolman likes this

'79 Cortina 1.6 gl saloon - Like herpes. Fun to get, imposible to get rid of.

'82 Cortina 1.6 gl saloon - As much use as a butter dildo
'82 Cortina 2.3 ghia s estate - More awesome than a Lusardi/Fox threesome
'01 VW Lupo - The little kraut gnome in my garden

'02 Fiesta flight- 1959 wants it's engine back.

#238 minolman

minolman

• 151 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

Yes it is, i work in a body shop in blackburn.

As long as its not you heading the scam as a way to drum up business, that's ok.... ;)

• ShiteRider likes this

#239 charlie2555

charlie2555

• 129 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

Yeovil, Somerset- hate the place! Passed my driving test there...

Here's a video some skaters filmed there, showing how delightful children there are: Watch from about 1:50...

#240 oman5

oman5

• 2,175 posts
  • Locationsouth wales, butt.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

I know you can't-because they're kids- but they do need a fucking punching.

• 500tops and warren t claim like this
desperately seeking allegro front wings!!