V6 x type jag any good or potential money pit?

michael1703

Currently I've got a 1995 jaguar x300 4litre sovereign, there's not wrong with it but I've seen an opportunity to buy an x type cheap,it's 2002 2 litre v6 auto

A few mpg better would be good for its 300 miles a week commute it does,but the current straight 6 is bulletproof and I know nothing about the v6

Anyone owned one/suffered one?

I have never owned an X300, but have had an XJ40 and a V6 X-Type.

The X-Type is a good, smooth and much underrated car. I found it entirely reliable. However, the XJ40 was preferable in every way bar marginally worse fuel consumption and a smaller, awkward shaped boot. Choosing between the two, I'd much rather have an X300 than an X-Type.

Another reason for our old mate Ash Micro to come back, he's the whizz kid on these cars.

I (briefly) had an X-Type and didn't gel with it at all, it just offered nothing in the way of anything noticeable that would make me want to keep one long term or whatever.

X Types, pez ones. OK, good, cos the diesel ones are rubbish.

The 2.1 is FWD and just about the same drink-wise as the 2.5. The 3 litre is a bit juicier yet. 2.5 and 3.0 are AWD.

If you do buy one, the first thing to do is to take off the OE locking wheel nuts and throw them away. You cannot believe how much hassle getting a busted one off is. No-one wants to know about getting it off. OE non locking wheelnuts are £1 from a main dealer.

Mine's a 2005 2.5 SE AWD saloon with a slushbox which is 5 speed and not six like the 2.5 S Type. I get 22.5 mpg around town, a bit more on a run, rarely more than 31-32.

Stuff that goes wrong:

Windscreens leak, and drown the TCU (gearbox brain) which is in the front passenger footwell and a bugger to get out if the car also has automatic wipers because the control unit for them is on top of it.

The auto-dimming mirrors never work, and if the car has automatic headlights, they'll work whenever they feel like it. The sensor is in the shite mirror.

Interior trim is generally good.

They eat batteries.

Other stuff that goes wrong with them (this one is my fifth X Type)

Brake servo anti return valves have a bitch-fit and stop working. You now have no servo assistance. Dirt cheap fix, though

This one's fun: the throttle pedal can jam right down as some cars had an incorrect type of throttle stop fitted (on the floor) and the pedal arm got jammed behind it. 200 BHP, remember. Worth checking!

Generally speaking, they're not too bad. Most gearbox faults are actually the aforementioned submerged TCU. There's a fat man on YouTube who'll show you how to fix one with WD40 and Duck Tape (really!)

Good points: fast, sure-footed, comfortable, generally well made. Post 2004 cars have better rust prevention. Parts are generally in line with "Normal" rather than "FUCK ME HOW MUCH?!?!", although wheels are expensive new.

I had estate versions, one of which was an uber-rare ex dealer demo Sovereign SE 2.2 diesel. The sodding mirror/auto headlights on that never worked either.

First off, it's not "just a posh Mondeo".

The only serious bit carried over from Ford (apart from the engines, LOL YO IRONY) is the rear suspension which came out of the Mondeo estate. Apart from that, your average Ford mechanic woulden't know it from Adam.

I've heard a few people in the trade refer to the X-Type 2.2 derv as a "Transit saloon", and they are whiney, lathergic lumps of poo in my experience.

Don't know all that much about the V6s, apart from it was meant to be rather fun in the Mondeo...

I've heard a few people in the trade refer to the X-Type 2.2 derv as a "Transit saloon", and they are whiney, lathergic lumps of poo in my experience.

My ex-boss owned a diesel X-type. I can confirm that the engine is a gutless, unrefined piece of shite. Totally out of place in the otherwise sleek, sport-kitted car.