Dire Dashboard Disasters

warren t claim

I love a good dashboard but some car makers spoil a perfectly good car by inserting a monstrosity just in front of the wheel. Like this...

post-3910-0-05606200-1380299037_thumb.jpg

This to me is just a hideous plank of wood with a few holes drilled in it. Jaguar used to be masters at the elegant fascia, the Series 1 XJ6 is a visual masterpiece with its gauges and rocker switches but the reason I'm more inclined to want an X300 over an X330 is I'd prefer not to have to look at the late 1990s tunneled out instruments. 

I really don't care about things like clearly illuminated switches and the almost universal markings that car makers use these days, I'd rather have a switches function written on in English like Bristol or the Americans do or left unmarked to encourage new owners to actually learn the functions that each control does, like TVR used to. 

I'm not in the slightest bit concerned as to whether a dash has won a Design Council award, I'd have an early Mk3 Cortina fascia over a facelift version and I actually like the Swiss cheese Lancia Trevi effort, I just want to see something different when I'm behind the wheel.

Rant over! What are your least favourite dashboards?

This 'five minutes during a lunchbreak' utterly shit design gets my vote:

800px-1980_Austin_Metro_1.0_L_interior.j

,,, because nothing says "quality" like a box on a fucking shelf, does it?

Honestly, how long did they spend thinking this up? Yes, I know it makes it easy to adapt from RHD to LHD, but I really don't care about that. That only benefits the incompetent communists that made the car, not the buyer.

That X308 dash is a bit of a minger. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the dash in the X300, but it's less hideous than the later one and the XJR / Sport interior with the black wood works rather well I thought.

38825_423117524643_8120071_n.jpg

There are still moments of nastiness, the digital clock that both the X300 and X308 have is shared with the DB7. Never works in any of them. Also, the cruise control rocker switch always feels like it's about to fall off. You know that special "about to break" feeling that late 70s Marina indicator switches had?

Saab 9-5.

3697610077_13d5572ee5_o.jpg

Some of the worst fake wood you'll ever see, hideous plastics and column stalks that sound like someone cracking their knuckles. Absolutely horrible.

Also, while I love the Citroen GS dashboard...

41860-500-0.jpg

...us Brits got one that looked like it had been lashed together by someone building a kit car.

sallydash.jpg

While it's not disastrous as an overall effort, something about the Rover 200 dash always bugged me - if you're going to be that stingy with the (pretend) wood, then why bother at all?

interior3.JPG

Similarly with the Rover 100. I mean, just how utterly toss does that little square of wood to the right of the steering wheel look.

21379130019_large.jpg

It's amazing the number of people going for Jaguar dashboards, I thought it was just me.

A couple of years ago I fancied an XJ8 but I got so fed up looking at ones with the horrible pale cream leather with brown walnut dashboards and these often usually filthy cream leather & wood-u-like steering wheels, rather than the (IMO) far nicer black leather seats & wheel with black wood that I had seen on one car but never again.

The other car I thought I wanted once was the original Lexus IS. I went to look at one, sat in it and within 30 seconds got out and never looked back. What made them think that the naff plastic trim with the childish clock style dash display and semi silvered steering wheel was acceptable? It was shamed by a Vectra, let alone a BMW or Audi, which the ting was supposed to be competing against.

$T2eC16J,!)UE9s3wBnneBR8l6gw4(Q~~60_57.J

E30 dash. Yes, controls are angled towards the driver and all that cobblers but quality of the plastics are a bit shit on them. Functional but dull. And considering how EPIC mk2 Senator's look from the outside, I always thought they could do with a better dash and steering wheel. A Renault 25 beats it on that score!

I had one of those W126 Mercs, a 500 SEL which was, at the time it was made the top of the range Merc. Full on dictator spec. The dash isn't that different to the one in a base model 190E other than having a few more switches. A bit of a let down for what cost a fair old chunk of money back in the day.

As for miserable dashboards, have a Polski Fiat.

60118_439787839643_1004487_n.jpg

This 'five minutes during a lunchbreak' utterly shit design gets my vote:

800px-1980_Austin_Metro_1.0_L_interior.j

,,, because nothing says "quality" like a box on a fucking shelf, does it?

Honestly, how long did they spend thinking this up? Yes, I know it makes it easy to adapt from RHD to LHD, but I really don't care about that. That only benefits the incompetent communists that made the car, not the buyer.

To be fair that was designed when the Metro was intended to replace the mini, hence why it looks like a slightly modernised mini dash.

The Mk1 Metro dash is supposed to maximise interior space in a similar way to the Panda and Mk2 Fiesta.

I'm sure we have had a similar thread once before. I seem to remember googling 405 early and late dashboards. I love the early one, but the quality was pretty.. Well Peugeot. The later one was a bit "Meh" but better built.