Slightly Off Topic... Varosha, Cyprus

michael t

Dont know if anyone on here has heard of this place or knows anything about it, basically the Turkish Army invaded in 1974 and the people fled leaving everything behind, it is now heavily guarded by Turkish forces and has remained largely untouched since 1974  there was a link posted up on the AS Facebook page which showed a Toyota Dealership with all the brand new models for '74 still sitting inside. Fascinating place. More info here http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2013/03/varosha-famagusta-rare-photos-inside-northern-cyprus-ghost-city-abandoned-resort/

Cyprus-3501.jpg

post-1424-022175500%201291075319_thumb.j

The place is fascinating. I've stood on the beach and looked through the fence. Sun loungers from 1974 still lie on the beach, curtains still swing from the hotel windows, I'd love to have a look round but the Turkish soldier waving an AK47 in my direction put me off somewhat.

You can actually walk right up to the point where you could touch some of the abandoned buildings through the fence. In the UN buffer zone is the former main airport of Cyprus, still with a Trident jet, left where it was abandoned mid taxi on the runway.