NEWBIE ALERT...Run Fe Cover

VWPowered

hi peeps, my names john, 33 live in france with the misses and my 2 girls aged 15 months and 2 weeks, been here for the last 4 years, was living in chippenham before that working for a company called dymag, before that lived in guildford, ran a VW club for a long time called no-rice, which had the biggest VW meet in the UK at one stage with over 300 cars in attendance each month, worked as a fast fitter for 14 years before deciding enough of the rat race but i'm now in france enjoying the quieter life, well was till i i set up franco-oldtimers, (was shadedbyrust but changed name) i do all sorts to make a buck as you do from building, gardening, servicing many fingers in many pies and all that, but still skint :wink:

gives me a chance to tour the area looking for 'autoshite francais' drive a retro shed, owned many sheds beforehand....

my current ride..

1983 Polo Mk2 1.3GT 75bhp of VW's finest 730kg - cost 251euros

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

my previous rides

http://www.franco-oldtimers.com/member_OAOA.html

and i like scrap metal :twisted:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so hello from me :wink:

Bonjour et bienvenue, I love france me and its a veritable haven for shite. I used to live there and have got a barn full up with my old cars in Les Vosges (ot at least it was full of cars last time I looked) , plan is to mave back there later on, probably when i get sacked from my current job for looking at the internet too much at work. Hows your french? Have you checked out www.leboncoin.fr? its a FULL-ON SHITEFESTI have bought assorted old bangers across the channel, exchange rate is WACK at the moment though meaning that I am not looking at french ebay very often.

oui mon francais es tres bon, j'regardez leboncoin toutes le jours :wink:

leboncoin is proberley the best classifieds in france..even ebays heres gone abit commercial..

yes was tipped off about a visa...

it being a Mk1 or Mk2, early models have set into the rear panel lights almost like trailer lights, Mk2 has wraparound :D (in case it wasnt explained before)

UK 'S' isnt the same as the early GT's motor was different..the GK engine so i hear was only available for a year and are like hens teeth, little 4 speed box, been offered good money to drive the car back to the uk just for its engine, also boasts near straight through system, JR filter and airhorns ;) the bore etc is also different on the UK 'S' I'll look into it more, find out exactly what it is frenchies got alot of models the UK didnt like Polo Mk2 Diesels, Scirocco Mk2 16v and the Goof Mk1 16v Oettinger...

im abit of a VW Nut but do have apprication for other cars too, in fact if i can raise the cash i want this...

http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/21641498.htm?ca=20_s

Posted Image

i'll own any car once ;)

I believe Baz (occasionally of this parish) had one of them Simcas. And Mr Bickle's probably got about eight.Weren't the Mk2 diesel Polos horrendously underpowered? I think they were a 1.4 or something. The French had some comedy diesels in the early '90s - like non-turbo 2.1-litre 605s and XMs. They even had 2.4-litre non-turbo E30 and E28 Beemers. GR8 4 being beaten away from the lights by old giffers in Acadianes.

Bonsoir monsieur! Vos photographies sont bien impressionantes, et j'espère que vous avez beaucoup de plus à partager avec nous.I've visited leboncoin a lot of times, but I always need a lie down after 2 minutes... might ask for your help some time in the future 8)(from now on I will only look for cars in the Charente...)

yes mk2 diesel polos were 1.4 and very nasty, also had a 1.6 non turbo golf that was nasty too, 1.6GTD was a much better golf, misses has a 2.1 Renault naff to drive but is good on diesel 900+ kms per tank..

michiel no probs squire :D

anyway well some vandal came along and graffiti'd my motor and stuck brown paint on the missing patches.. :wink:

i think thats actually it with the paint now next will be a weightsaving exercise

remember just a month ago this was a 250E banger off ebay...

Posted Image

so now the polo's looking like...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

it is yes :) cheapy brought then hit a cow in it :cry: only had it a week..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

cow damage (no animals were hurt in this accident, it didnt even say hello just walked into the car and went about his way...)

Posted Image

now just sat there on bricks..sold wheels for nearly what car cost me..

Posted Image

:oops::twisted:

I was actually thinking of more like this one....

Posted Image

Posted Image

But that coupe is deeply lovely & I definitely wouldn't say no! I believe last time I saw a Passat as early as that was on the Cote d'Azur in 2003, a bright yellow one passed us in the other direction, a blink & you miss it type situation so no time for any pictures! :(

Yep, that'd do me nicely! I actually prefer the single oblong headlights, they're less MkI Scirocco -a-like, not that there's anything wrong with that, it just detracts a little from it's Passatness! :D Funny how all these cars could be had with either single oblong, or double round headlights. On the Princess, single oblong headlights took you upmarket I think, whereas with the Passat & Renault 20 you went upmarket with double round headlights (which makes more sense), on the R20 you became the R30 owner when you switched to double round lights. :wink:

Posted Image

WOOAAH that's what I'm talkin bout! Love it! 8)

A late MkI Passat, probably the hatch (or was it one of those hatch-a-like saloons?) would be a car I would own if I had somewhere to put it! That & an R20, Chrysler Alpine....sense a theme?

Late mk1 estate or any estate mk2 (but pref. a GL5, of course!) in standardish form for me, but they all seem to suffer at the hands of the "scene", I'm afraid.

Hello none the less!

Does your Polo have 75bhp as standard? I know my Coupe S (GT equivalent in the UK) only had 55bhp. Still quite nippy though!

did some asking about

your GK engine is the good one! best cam of the solid lifter engines, best manifold, slightly better pierburg, 11:1 compression ratio :o Digintion ignition system. 75bhpthe S engine is a MH/2G engine, hydraulic lifter head, poop cam, poop manifold, poop pierburg, 9.5:1 compression, basic ignition system. 55bhpthe continental car also has servo assisted brakes, rear anti-roll bar and better weight distribution.

hey michiel i saw that add does look proper mental but think it needs finishing so would proberley need a trailer too :D

talking about light :wink:

well todays update is abit different, today i thought i'd make little polo breath better, so used a induction whatsit from a XR3i to get the cone abit closer to the front and abit more fresh air, and tidied the air horn tubes Posted Image was running funny this morning, afew of the rubber pipes to the carbs were badly perished so replaced these too, starter turn was also weak, would always take 3 turns of the key to fire up, so booted a bigger ampage battery in, now first striaght away first time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

next thing to to start thing polos diet..

as it was,

Posted Image

Posted Image

found this sticker dated Oct 82 under the rear seat, i noticed black on it so can only think its for the interior or something

Posted Image

all this lot removed Posted Image..

Posted Image

as it is, first aid kit, jack, wheelbrace, spare, warning triangle, high vis jacket legal requirements here so had to go back in..

Posted Image

lighten the boot too, removing naff plastics and rear wiper,

Posted Image

and the bung i used is...Posted Image

Posted Image

caught some mare at the car again Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image