Der Big Bad Blitzen Benz

Junkman

Some of you may still remember this ad:

http://autoshite.commlm/topic/14287-merc-coup-driftslag-not-redtopwrxomgpinkknickers-showcruiseunique-and-must-see/?do=findComment&comment=441510

Well, I fell for it and am now the proud owner of a

MERCBENZ GENUIN BARN FIND(Real Head Turner) (One off and Unique)   

Hence a collection journey was in order, however, I didn't manage to document it nearly as well as some of you guys can.

Anyway, I took the train to Watford, and walked the 1 1/4 miles from the station to Des' place. On the way, I did a tiny bit of spottage.

The first one is more buildingshite than autoshite, it's the Watford MOT Centre, which must date from the early days of motoring:

pic003.jpg

Then I saw this:

pic004.jpg

And when I saw this:

pic001.jpg

I knew I had arrived at the right place.

Lots of papers were exchanged, some big, some small, then I took off for the long journey home, which took me more than 7 hours, due to torrential rain, with a shitload of newfangled chod being stranded in puddles due to electrickery floodage and subsequent tailbacks. Some Range Rovers, most of the non-Japanese Far Eastern stuff, and the

MerC coup driftslag not redtop/wrx/omgpinkknickers/ show/cruiseUnique and MUST SEE

mastered the Noachian deluge without putting a foot wrong, and so a relaxed

MERCEDEZE LIKE WHAT PATRICK SWAYZEE DROVE ON ROADHOUSE INCLUDED WITH THE CAR IS COLECTER ITEM VHS VIDEO OF ROADHOUSE FILM WHERE HE RIPS THE BADDIES HEART OUT LOL.

and an exhausted Junkman made it alive and well to the Junkman Residence, where Helmut, as the Big Bad Benz is now known as, instantly literally doubled the engine displacement hitherto available to me.

pic002.jpg

pic003.jpg

Ah, Mr Clutch in Watford. I know it well...

The Mredeces looks fantastic. Hope it drives as well as it looks.

It drives practically faultlessly. It could do with a gearbox oil change and some brake band adjustage soon, if one was fuzzy.

What surprised me most is that it only sips tiny nips from the petrol tank, especially under the conditions we had today.

About 40 quid worth of petrol from Watford to Stockport is not bad for a big bloody V8.

The train ticket for the down journey was 37.50 (regular price £ 171.00 !!!!) and it was this fuggin pendolino,

which makes me motion sick.

Did your local petrol station put the bunting out for you?

He owns a P6. There is an entire North Sea oil rig dedicated to him. The purchase of the Merc will hopefully bring us out of the recession. 

Its a little known fact that the Piper Alpha disaster was a government conspiracy to try and offset dwindling oil requirements whilst Junkman took his P6 off the road for a new exhaust in 1988. Sadly, Lloyds of London did not fall for the scam and refused to pay out the Conservative governments claim for whiplash and loss of earnings, thus causing the long lasting recession in the 1990's and Daewoos entry into theh UK car market. 

TRU STOREEE!

I seem to find with massive engined cars they seem to reach a fuel saturation point of about 20mpg. My XJR has a 4.0 v8 with a supercharger. I was sure of single figure mpgs but 21mpg in reality. I recon the non super charged v8 may eek out an extra 2 mpg, My old BMW 740i with a 4.4v8 did 22 mpg, my Audi A8 4.2v8 did 23mpg. My BMW 520i did 30mpg. It don't make no sense.

Amazing, nice to see one that hasn't undergone the chrome arches/tints/blingy rims 'I IZ SO GANSTA' treatment that condemned many of them in the '00s !!!

The fuel consumption sounds pretty good, too... My 260E never managed more than 30mpg on a run, and this thing is heavier, less aerodynamic, with two more cylinders and double the cubic capacity !

I seem to find with massive engined cars they seem to reach a fuel saturation point of about 20mpg.

I think that when cars get above 3 litres they seem to do gallons per hour rather than mpg.

Stretch 80 miles into an hour and often the fuel consumption isn't much worse that a micro-engined shopping trolley full throttle at 90% of its top speed, but get one stuck in a traffic jam and you wonder why you didn't get out and walk.

As a former owner of the above do hope u enjoy it, wonderfull to waft and burble about in. Leaves great 11's at traffic lights due to having a still working LSD

I did notice that LSD bit. Fuggin ace!

I think that when cars get above 3 litres they seem to do gallons per hour rather than mpg.

Stretch 80 miles into an hour and often the fuel consumption isn't much worse that a micro-engined shopping trolley full throttle at 90% of its top speed, but get one stuck in a traffic jam and you wonder why you didn't get out and walk.

Fully agree. You need so and so many gallons per hour regardless how many miles you travel within this hour.