Rover p6- classic shite progress. or not. anyone want it?

oman5

Some brilliant P6 p0rn there, gentlemen ! Keep it coming !

In my mind, P6es are like a British DS : I admire the engineering, but would never take one on, as I fear it would lead me to financial disaster or mental breakdown or both.

Both. No doubt. And being a total lunatic to start with comes in handy.

A leather wrapped Paprika V8 would be my choice.

Last one I had was in the spectacularly autoshite "Tobacco leaf".

This one might come up for sale soon:

pic012-1.jpg

pic010-1.jpg

pic009-1.jpg

It has an LPG kit installed and even on gas it's running on most of its cylinders.

It's a very tidy example with Sundym and black fabric. However, the current owner is a chain smoker, so it does need a very good clean inside, or you take advantage and put leather furniture into it.

Well, mrs Oman and I spent a pleasant couple of hours fixing the clutch master cylinder on the 2000 today, clutch was dragging like feck.  Luckily I managed to find a cmc repair kit (remember those? halfords don't) for only a few quid and with only slightly skinned knuckles due to inaccessible nuts the jobs a goodun. 

As a reward for helping me and getting her hands dirty Mrs Oman wants me to take her for a spin tomorrow- cue photos and maybe a spot of woolarding.

Its great having a wife who's genuinely interested in old chod too

Today's job was to change the thermostat, and I've also got a proper autoshite stereo fitted now; Its a sharp I'm guessing from the early '80s so not period perfect but I don't care.it works perfectly. note early red digital displayIMG-20130717-00139_zps1adf8afd.jpg

I really do have a boner for one as well, I love my Range Rover but my mojo has vanished since the engine went and despite having another sat here, I just can't be arsed with the hassle of changing it. I will do it - eventually - but really really have a longing for a new toy as well... :blink:

P6s are supposed to be undervalued at the mo- it said so in Practical classics so it must be true. Mines not pristine, and is low spec but its solid and it was less to buy than a white Peugeot 405 1.6 style with a dented bootlid and a handbrake not working due to trapped 20p piece.  so could be a good time to buy one...Parts are not much of a worry either. 

Mine will probably end up bankrupting me, there is plenty to be getting on with. I topped up the empty steering box with fresh EP90 and it promptly pissed it all back out of the bottom.

You are right, car for car, prices doubled over the past 5-6 years. The V8 rolling resto that cost me 650 quid would set you back 1300 today and the really good examples are now knocking at the 5k door, whereas it was practically impossible to spend more than 2500 on one in 2005.

4 cylinder cars can command strong money in good condition, but yes, they can be downright bargains if slightly tatty.

The good news is that 4 cylinder cars aren't that much slower than V8s, and that the differences are more than skin deep, so it doesn't really make too much sense to slaughter a 4 cylinder car for restoring a V8, hence the survival rate is high.

• 2 weeks later...

Most highjacked thread ever, so let's bump it.

One of the P6 Gurus in the club rescued this:

P1030763640x480.jpg

11thMay201374480x640.jpg

1978 registered (OMG late reg hype!) ex-Met Police (Regional Crime Squad) car.

This proves, that not all squad cars were 'S'es, since this an auto.

She's always been Avocado. This was a 'plain clothes' car - she was built police spec (strengthened front shock absorber mounts etc) and had all the radios/bell/sirens etc. but was not 'marked up'.

However, she has 'S' wheel trims and our P6 Guru clarified this once and for all:

Plod aways had either no, or 'S' trims, because the normal auto ones used to spin on the rims and chop the valves off (yours truly cannot confirm this, I'm running the regular trims and no valve off choppage has hitherto been experienced).

So now we know.

It's the exclusive use of 'S' trims (if trims were applied at all) that may have led to the legend that all police P6es were manuals, which is bollox, also according to a mechanic I know who did his apprentice at the GMP motor pool, when P6es were still Manchester's finest's interceptor of choice.

Also note how well optioned the car is with Sundym all round, full vinyl kit, nearside wing mirror, and headrests. Your father's tax money at work.

Our P6 Guru also has this to offer:

"I have the full service records for the car. The previous owner used to work on Police P6es and is full of interesting information.

Mileage is 205k. It doesn't look it though, she's been superbly looked after prior to layup".

Oh, and I wonder what it replaced. Wolseley 6/110 anyone?

• 4 months later...

Thread resurrection time!

Ok, the P6 has been much neglected due to having to prioritize my time in favour of getting the house done.. but after a few shakedown runs I took it off the road again. it needs further work before being usable.

The Steering box is mullered. obviously been run dry for some considerable time due to leaks and it's worn. very hard to keep in a straight line and any adjustment just makes it too tight.

It runs hot after a while at motorway speeds. given that everything on the cooling system bar the rad has been replaced, this is the next thing I need. head gasket failure was the reason it got scrapped in the first place- could be duff rad caused it.

The back end sits at an angle- coil spring is mullered on the driver's side. 

when it's up to temperature its evident that the ebay seller I got the engine off was full of shit...it needs the tappets doing badly (a major job) and there is also a touch of big end knock. It does however pull strongly, sit at 70 effortlessly with no oil burning so a new set of shells should see it ok.

On the plus side..I've replaced all the dented/rusty panels (door, wings, scuttle panel) and have got a replacement steering box for it and springs and rad on the way (you can buy these new...but not for any price I want to pay, hence the delay waiting for good used ones to turn up).

I'm not worried really, it'll all come together eventually. and then I'll only get bored that there's nothing left to do and sell it on for something else not worth having.

If I can figure out this STUPID FUCKING samsung touch screen piece of shit phone I will get some pics up tomorrow.

• 7 months later...