Rover p6- classic shite progress. or not. anyone want it?

oman5

I've now got this running and mot'd, but theres plenty to be getting on with,

Note the crappy late '70s spotlights. I like them

IMG-20130703-00134_zps7d3cf209.jpg

Interior is buckskin leather, I reckon cleaning and feeding should bring it back ok. everything works.

IMG-20130703-00135_zpse6f9178b.jpg

back door is dented and rotten. luckily I have one in stock.

IMG-20130627-00129_zpsb0822b56.jpg

nasty scrape on back wing, rust damage to scuttle panel. again, I have these panels in stock

IMG-20130703-00136_zps56e74175.jpg

it has grommits in the front wings where mirrors should be.looks crap. I think theres a nice pair of chrome wingards around somewhere if i can find them.

IMG-20130627-00130_zpsb29837e6.jpg

It drives better than I expected, feels at least as quick as my 20 years newer volvo 240. comical amount of body roll when cornering. it has quite a farty exhaust note so everyone stares at it.

/\

What he said.

Still haven't managed to score a P6 yet despite years of admiring them. Is it true that all the panels are bolt on, Oman?

Shepfact: I am a huge fan of the Rover P6 (possibly due to nearly being born in a Cameron Green 3500S - long story) and almost bought one in 2003, but practical considerations meant that I ended up with The Volvo instead. I'd love to own one at some point in the future, though, ideally a 2200TC in Lunar Grey or Paprika with box-pleat fabric seats ;)

Thanks for your kind comments! yes everything unbolts, even the roof. panel changes are a doddle, but it means any rot in the base unit is covered up. I had this one up on a 4 post ramp before buying it to make sure it was sound, it seems a good honest example.

re.boot mounted spare...I think I'm going to get one of those, I prefer the p6 with.

I'm just using this locally at the moment as a kind of shake down, its been off the road for 3 years and there are bound to be things wrong. so far the clutch seems to drag which suggests master cylinder fault, and the cooling system seems to pressurise despite no evidence of head gasket trouble.

still, I bought it as something to tinker with on rest days (I find it therapeutic) so it should keep me amused. 

Very nice catch, congratulations!

Thanks god I have to look no further than at my front garden to spot another P6.

pic021.jpg

Unfortunatley it isn't to Mr. Conelrad's taste what with optional touring package and the later instruments.

Contrary to him I like the latter very much, they look like they were nicked from an aeroplane and emit a

beautifully soft green glow when illuminated. Driving one of these by night is a sight one never forgets.

The touring package comprises the reinforced bootlid with the aperture for the bootlid mounted spare, the mounting kit itself, the emblem in lieu of the spare wheel mount if you prefer to carry it in the boot, a prop rod for the bootlid, and the external bootlid handle, which is actually a series 1 door handle.

Guest Breadvan72

I just fuggin love these and am amazed that, in 30 odd years of classic car mayhem, I still haven't owned one.

I just fuggin love these and am amazed that, in 30 odd years of classic car mayhem, I still haven't owned one.

Friend of mine currently has a very tidy series II 2200 auto for sale. I think 1200 quid were mentioned, which I think is an extraordinary deal considering the condition of the car.

Guest Breadvan72

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES must picz or further deets of the yarmouth aforesaid be added to this thread.

Shepfact:  I'd love to own one at some point in the future, though, ideally a 2200TC in Lunar Grey or Paprika with box-pleat fabric seats ;)

I had this one,

post-3477-0-16013900-1373220697_thumb.jpg

it had leather so perhaps not one for Shep, It was a very nice one owner car, that I stupidly sold in favour of a Porsche 928.

That's the least popular one according to some club chap I spoke to the other day, so it's the definite Autoshite P6 of Choice. Hopefully some horrible colour too. It sounds like a steal at that price if it's solid. 

That's interesting in so far that the 2200 is in fact the nicest one to drive of the bunch, and especially the TC offers similar performance as the V8 at a much saner petrol consumption. The latter is relatively speaking, since all P6es need a lot less than what is usually told in pubs.

The example on offer is indeed coloured for maximum atrocity, it's white of all things rotten, which is an even bigger crying shame considering the car originally was Atlantis.