Wuvvum in MoT'd Renault shocker

wuvvum

Finally got around to picking this up today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

44,000 miles from new and the best part of 11 months' ticket (the only old Renner I've had recently with more than a fortnight's test left was Baz' 11). It's had the trailing arm mount welded up (pretty well too - if the chap had been a bit closer I'd have asked him to do the 6) but otherwise is surprisingly free from welding. I drove it 180 miles back from the far side of Aylesbury today, and it's an absolute honey. It gets a bit hot and bothered if I take it over 60 (the rad looks like it's seen better days, and the fan isn't kicking in at the moment) and it's running a bit lean (like every 5 I've had) but just from driving it it was obvious it was a good 'un. No play in the steering, nice sharp brakes, surprisingly acceptable gear change, and all the electrics work, even the original push-button radio/casette. Being a GTL it's a nice spec, with a 5-speed box which is almost comically high-geared for the 40-odd bhp from the 1108cc engine. A speed machine it ain't, but it seems to manage pretty well on petrol. It was owned by a little old lady who used it once a week to potter into Princes Risborough, and it was sold by the chap who used to look after it for her until he retired (he was a Renault mechanic by trade) and it was looked after with no expense spared - the bill for the last service, in January this year (since when it's done about 350 miles, 180 of which were done by me today) came to £565.07. No that's not a typo, she really did spend five hundred and sixty five pounds and seven pence on having her 25-year-old Renault serviced. I almost felt guilty paying her less than half that for the car... Hopefully this one should be a keeper. I'm completely skint now, having been let down by the chap who was s'posed to be buying the Trooper, but I'm glad I got it.

Not much shite spotted on the journey - plenty of VW camper vans, but they don't really count. I did see a Lancia Thesis and an F-plate Pony going the opposite way on the M11, and I was overtaken in quick succession by a Mk2 Granny 2.8 Ghia, a Lotus Elan +2 and an Integrale on the A11. And I saw my first ever Veyron in Gerrards Cross (I took a bit of a detour) - registration YE51CAN. He gave it some welly away from traffic lights on the A40, and WOW what a noise! The chap in front of me tried to race him in his C-plate 911SC - the Veyron left him almost as far behind as he left me. Those things may be fugly, hideously expensive and get through a tank of fuel every seven minutes, but under full throttle they are absolutely fugging earth-shattering. I am going to have to start playing the lottery again.

Indeed. I am imagining myself gently (and sparingly - we`re not talking about cheap stuff) massaging the trim gel into the grooves and all around the inside edges of the air vents in the front bumper as I type.Are my eyes playing a rotten trick on me or is that Radio mounted so that it stands on it`s end, and you effectively drop a tape into the deck?

Neat little car and quite a find in this condition! I picked up one in the early 90's and it was owned by a granny and was mint and had fsh but those rear suspension turrets had pretty much disappeared, rendering it useless to me. Sounds like the mostly troubling aspects of this car can be fixed quite easily.

Lovely. GTL is super-economy spec, no? I thought the GTL started out with a detuned 1289cc, but I'm probably talking rubbish as usual. One of those cars you just don't see around any more. I'd take Mr Bickle's early 956 for purity, but this is still damn nice.

I had a gold Renner 5. I really liked it. Was reliable, simple, eceonmical and comfy. It met an unfortunate end after being stolen and colliding with a roundabout on Worthing seafront.After smashing it at about 60 into the wall of the roundabout they made a valiant effort in still trying to drive it another 100 yards until they realised that one of the front wheels was at a 45 degree angle. Was on my way to pick it up from the bus depot in the morning when i saw it at the side of the road. Went to the police station to report it stolen and they said, 'Can you get it moved?' I did ask them whether or not they wanted to have a look at it to see if they could catch the kids who did it but they said, no just get it moved before it gets a ticket. What a pain in the arse. No finger printing or anything. Obviously have too much high profile crime in Worthing to worry about a petty car theft......