Classic Car Weekly in Shite expose shock!

Rocket88

This week's comic has a Tagora, an early Metro, Renna 16 in "disappearing shite" section. Most uncomplimentary about the Tagora, author [Nick Larkin, who is a man who thinks that Morris Oxfrods are the cutting edge of motoring technology] needs a good birching..............

I remember an old Wheeler Dealer episode where he went to look at an old Oxford/Cambridge thing with a view to buy. Was more concerned about the fact that it had lost it's original number than if it had a floor or not. Reminds me of Alan Partridge, with tinges of Wilson [Dad's Army]

Nick Larkin strikes me as being an utter utter twat, I remember reading an article about how the famer whose land he was storing an old double-decker on listed (and nearly sold) it on Ebay after concluding that he was never going to hear from Larkin again. :roll: Seemingly the guy has an incredible quantity of old junk scattered around the country that he's extremely unlikely to use or restore.

utter utter twat

Bit harsh old chap! ??Certainly a very odd/eccentric character, I assume some kind of repressed deviant or other. But certainly not alone in having massive caches of tat that may or may not ever get finished (or even started). Certainly there are characters on here guilty of that (but perhaps not -as- strange).Larkin used to spin quite a good yarn when on PC/PopC, maybe just not as good at reporting the straight facts.

I remember an old Wheeler Dealer episode where he went to look at an old Oxford/Cambridge thing with a view to buy. Was more concerned about the fact that it had lost it's original number than if it had a floor or not. Reminds me of Alan Partridge, with tinges of Wilson [Dad's Army]

I remember that though it was actually on an episode of Deals on Wheels. As I recall, he came across as a bit of a knob.

'S good telly, innit. Anyway, Eddddddddddd China seems to know what he's talking about. Yes, all the buyers for the cars are setups - and I've never found a scrapyard owner who rolls over quite like they do to Mike's "deals" - but it's still a decent watch.

Every episode of Wheeler Dealers I've seen has ended with Brewer losing his shirt. In Deals on Wheels he paid nearly £1000 for an unMOTed XR2 with a view to tarting it up for a quick profit. It was terminally rusty and I think he ended up having to sell it for spares.

I saw the Wheeler Dealers where Brewer got a 205GTi. Cost him a 'baahg ah saahnd' to buy, spent £1,600 on parts for it and sold it for £2,300.And that does not include all the word that was done for FREE by Ed China. Incidentally i have a very very lame to fame regarding Nick Larkin as i once got a lift home from some guy whose mum was dating him. How do you like those apples? Eh?

Incidentally i have a very very lame to fame regarding Nick Larkin as i once got a lift home from some guy whose mum was dating him. How do you like those apples? Eh?

You see I always assumed Larkin was batting for the opposition. Not in the modern screaming Gok-Wan/Alan Carr/Peter Tachell way, but sort of in a furtive, clandestine 1950's way. All mild manners and the occasional bumming in the parlour, followed by a nice cup of tea.

Incidentally i have a very very lame to fame regarding Nick Larkin as i once got a lift home from some guy whose mum was dating him. How do you like those apples? Eh?

You see I always assumed Larkin was batting for the opposition. Not in the modern screaming Gok-Wan/Alan Carr/Peter Tachell way, but sort of in a furtive, clandestine 1950's way. All mild manners and the occasional bumming in the parlour, followed by a nice cup of tea.
Bit judgmental of you sir... !! ;)However - there is a certain amount of truth in stating that the magazines he's involved with on the subjects of elderly trucks and buses are primarily targeted at a market of males who "don't have wives". :lol:

I think he may have told you porkies as I'm pretty sure Larkin is of the pink persuasion. Maybe he swings both ways.Maybe he just takes what he can get as its not easy to woo the ladies with chat about buses :lol:

Now you come to mention it, he does have a touch of the "Quentin Crisp" about him. As for Mike Brewer, he does buy some old poo at astonishingly high prices. Even more annoying is that little bald git, his name escapes me, who buys Catergory right offs, and then "rebuilds" them for some impoverished poor sod who wants a Mk13 Snoozemobile, but can't afford to buy retail . There's usually a large coloured gentleman offering sage advise, and a couple of other blokes larding on wag like it was going out of fashion. Miraculously, the said project always comes in £7 under budget, and the happy punter drives off into the sunset. I think not...........................Vicki Butler Poshbird sometimes appears on it, looking coy, and generally doing the eyelash fluttering bit. [Christ, she annoys me almost as much as that Jason Whatsiname ,the big bloke they sacked from Top Gear after the first series.] Friday rant over, pass the Valium, nurse.

As for Mike Brewer, he does buy some old poo at astonishingly high prices.

I do quite like Wheeler Dealers but it is very staged. Some nice cars though...

Vicki Butler Poshbird sometimes appears on it, looking coy, and generally doing the eyelash fluttering bit.

She used to be really fit. Wonder what went wrong?

I always found Nick Larkin's pieces in Practical Classics rather lightweight and flippant, and found his obsession with Farinas and buses more than a bit "WTF?" and hence was glad when he left. Don't get me wrong, Farinas and buses have their place, but like every other mode of transport at the end of the day, they're just tools that get you from A to B...

He owned/owns a pre production 18-22, which in my book makes him a good egg. His rants were a good read, sadly the classic car movement moved away from Oxfords and Minors in the late 1990s, and I think he's been left behind a tad.

"Wheeler Dealers" is not staged! Mike Brewer is almost completely unknown to the car buying public, and when people arrive to inspect one of his cars and the vendor approaches them followed by a film crew who tell them where to stand while they film 15 takes of them shaking hands with Mike after agreeing to buy, they just presume that this is the accepted way of buying used cars.'Staged'! You know 'The Office' isn't a real documentary, right?(I think it's one of those practical 'how-to' shows, designed to help people buy, sell and repair used motors. They just put in those 'prospective buyer' scenes to make it easier to understand, like.)I was in total floods when Tim & Dawn finally got together at that Xmas party....

I always found Nick Larkin's pieces in Practical Classics rather lightweight and flippant, and found his obsession with Farinas and buses more than a bit "WTF?" and hence was glad when he left. Don't get me wrong, Farinas and buses have their place, but like every other mode of transport at the end of the day, they're just tools that get you from A to B...

So.......why can't they be discussed in a lightweight and flippant manner?

So.......why can't they be discussed in a lightweight and flippant manner?
A good point. I think what I mean is that Larkin's style was always so, and very much in a "Disney" twee way.

I think he may have told you porkies as I'm pretty sure Larkin is of the pink persuasion.

To be fair it was a while ago, he may have said that Larkin was going out with his dad. :wink: It really has to be said that if you were going to make something up you would come up with something better than that like Joe Dolce is my uncle or something. :D I also dont remember Vicki Butler Henderson being that fit. But if you think of how fit Phillipa Forester and Gail Porter used to be back in the day and how they look now, i think VBH now looks the pick of the bunch. A slightly over ripe bunch admittedly.Anyhow i digress. I never really read his articles, but remember his shock when some of (what i seem to remember were) his buses were vandalised by some kids. I dont mean to say i told you so, but you leave some buses in a field next to a road, kids are going to destroy them. Thats what kids do. Its common sense to put them somewhere a bit safer. You dont leave your best shoes in the dog basket do you?

I &SWMBO participated in an episode of ''Deals on Wheels'' many moons back -although I believe its still circulating on some Satelitte channels.Initially it was to be an Alfa Guiletta ,but they then decided on my '53 split screen Traveller -as more unusual.I found that I got deluged with nobheads when I explained that there might be a 'tiny' TV crew following us; although it did eventually sell to a Learner from Hove who hoped to pass (at 3rd attempt) next week....Much filming of pre haggled negotiations, and handover of said wedge before I finally delivered -off film.Took 3 days in all -got nowt except lunchtime feeding, but found it interesting nevertheless. The crew were genuine enthusiasts -the nob on the mic completely disinterested. Never met Mike Brewer who just voiced over with intro & conclusion.Would i do it again? Maybe....