For sale: 1968 Reliant Rebel Estate, - Sold Sold Sold!

coalnotdole

1968 Reliant Rebel Estate £1800 ono

For sale is my Reliant Rebel estate. Its  MOT'd and taxed until June 2014. The last mot was passed with no advisories.  The car is good mechanically and has had a lot of money spent on it recently (Full details below) I've also tidy'd up the bodywork which needed a few minor repairs. It benefits from being a historic vehicle so road tax is free, insurance is very cheap a years cover costs me £68 on a group classic policy!

I've had the car for about 3 months now and in that time its been a great local runabout and has never let me down. I have taken it to a few local car shows and has attracted lots of positive comments. Sadly I cant keep it as I own 4 other classics and I'm at the limit of the amount of cars I can store!

It has had a few modifications in the past, notably it has been fitted with an 850cc engine, a rare high ratio rear axle (believed to be from a bond bug) which gives better economy. It has also been fitted with an all synchromesh gearbox from a 3 wheeled Reliant which is considered to be a better design. Odometer shows it as having done 22,000 miles which I sadly cannot verify. The interior has been refitted in the past though this is now looking tried in places, however the seats are comfortable and look presentable with a set of period covers. The paintwork is showing its age and it would certainly benefit from a respray, I quite like the honest worn look to the paintwork but its clearly not for everyone.

It will come with a Folder full of recent receipts, and some old paperwork, a few spares etc.

Recent work includes:

Brake system overhaul –

1.     Including new front wheel cylinders,  (Genuine Girling not pattern parts)
2.     New hoses,
3.     New Master Cylinder,
4.      refurbished rear cylinders,  (Genuine Girling not pattern parts)
5.     Solid Brake pipes are all copper-nickel replacements,
6.     Replacement handbrake links,

Suspension

1.     Upper and lower wishbones fully rebushed,
2.     New Trunnions
3.     New trunnion seals,
4.     1x nearside leafspring bush replaced for MOT.
5.     Ball joint gators replaced as needed,

Engine

1.     Recent Service, Plugs and Oil,
2.     Fitted with an alternator, with a new bracket and Fanbelt
3.     Radiator Replaced
4.     Refurbished water pump.

Misc

1.     4 New Tyres,
2.     Chassis welding to the offside front Spring hanger and nose supports.
3.     All locks operate on the same key.
4.     Brand new Stainless  Steel Tex wipers

Work still needed:

Paintwork in need of attention.
Has a classic case of reliant clutch judder, a known quirk common to cars of this period that use spring plate clutches, Only really noticeable in first gear when you bring the clutch up too quickly.
Interior is showing its age, the cloth on the front seats is quite worn, but i have a set of period covers which will go with the car. The door cards need attention and the mechanism to move / fold the drivers seat needs looking at.
Heater control needs attention,
Fuel Level indicator errattic, I tend to just keep the tank brimmed.
Other age related points

Like any 45+ year old car it does need attention in places, so viewing is highly recommended,

I will try my best to answer any specific questions you may have, please message me to discuss. My mobile 07756 146923. Or my landline is 01903 784182 and ask for Joe

Photos:

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

I am in Littlehampton west sussex and am looking for £1500

Please PM me for more information , or to arrange a viewing.

They are actually great cars, but i already have another rebel that I'm keeping long term so its best to find this one a new home, It would be great if someone on here fancied it. But be under no illusions it does need cosmetic work, but there is a nice car here just waiting to get out!

Minimad on here has one! He's taken a few* bits off though.

Good luck with the sale,ive been offered the legendary van back to which i was hopelessly obsessed with,sadly funds arent available,although i have been offered a straight swap for a pick up version,which is very tempting....

i did nearly 20,000 miles in my van in under 18 months and found it to be a very willing,reliable and economical way to get around,as well as very practical. The ultimate shiters car,especially for those who cant weld very well (like me!)

I can certainly see the appeal of these Rebels. They seem to have all the advantages of a Reliant 3-wheeler, i.e. mega low weight, economy comparable to any modern hybrid effort, ace engine, yet without being a ‘joke vehicle’ suitable only for mentals. I can imagine Ms_ba11s refusing to travel with me in one however.

It's not cheap by Autoshite standards though is it? I'm not saying it's not worth it, but my budget tops out at about a third of the asking price. Sadly, I'm increasingly starting to think that I've missed the Reliant boat. They were all stupid cheap a few years ago. How times change.

They are still out there,i do know of a Rebel dealer converted pick up thats up for grabs with t+t for less than a bag of sand :smile:

Ive also been offered my famous green Rebel van back as well,sadly the price i sold it for and the price he paid for it differ vastly,so its out of my budget sadly.

It's not cheap by Autoshite standards though is it? I'm not saying it's not worth it, but my budget tops out at about a third of the asking price. Sadly, I'm increasingly starting to think that I've missed the Reliant boat. They were all stupid cheap a few years ago. How times change.

Its at that age. Pretty much anything pre 75 with T&T is mega bucks (relative to my bank account) these days really. Late 70's will follow and so on as they become rarer and more sought after. 

I think its ace this. Shame I dont live in L.A. anymore, I would have seen this bad boy in the flesh.

Don't worry CND, it will sell its just in the current market everything is taking longer to move on. It will eventually, you just need to Percy Vere.   

Dont get me wrong i have people interested in it but so far no one has been down for a drive or a kick of the tyres. I suppose it is still early days though and a number of the ads havent yet been published. Anyone got any reccomendations for paied adverts in magazines? I've mostly put it up on free sites so far.

I watch values for rebels carfully and they have been rising steadily over the last year. Based on cars sold in the last 6 months my etimate for current values are:

Total basket case - not on the road, needing mechanical work, paint and interior can sell for up to: £900

On the road - Hardly any road worthy rebels actually come up for sale, but the few that have been sold are around £1000 - £2000

An average quite presentable car starts at £2000+ a saloon recently sold for £2500

£1500 is what the car owes me, Try adding up the cost of buying it, moving it, all new brake parts, all new tyres, and rebushing the suspension etc getting it through an MOT and the costs mount up quickly. I dont expect to make anything on it but I do need to see most of my money again!

If its still here in a few weeks i'll try my luck on ebay...

• 3 weeks later...

Bump! this rebel is still avaialble, the ebay auction diddnt quite meet the reserve. But I'm open to sensible offers from one of you lot.

The tank sender is now working and the radiator has been replaced. It will probably be fitted with an SU carb before sale for better power and economy.

If theres still no interest in it in a few weeks I'll do some of the GRP work and put it back on ebay.

• 1 month later...

I'm with the few that have said they'd love this but the bank balance says no.  It's precisely the sort of thing I'd go for and sensibly priced from what little I know but it's a stretch too far at the moment.  I imagine it's triffic for bumbling around town in and has a grin factor of about eleventy.

• 3 weeks later...