Camry future pondering + Bluebird has landed

Spottedlaurel

My fondness for my dear old Camry estate will be no surprise here, but with MoT time due early next year and a few faults starting to become apparent I’m mulling over what to do about it.

Posted Image

For those who don’t know it so well, it’s the 2.2GL 4-pot model, manual, 7-seater. It’s big, yet I can still crack 33mpg round the country roads. Nice and light to drive, even Mrs SL is happy with it, and it handles and goes really rather well.

Posted Image

Mileage is nearly 198k, whatever happens it will be going beyond 200k!

Posted Image

The combination of size and economy suits me perfectly and it’s a lovely, relaxing thing to drive. The controls are nicely weighted and still feel just right despite the mileage. Interior on very good order.

Current faults that will be a problem come MoT time are cracked ‘screen and blowing silencer. Might not sound dramatic, but remember this is an oddball US-built car, not a Mondeo. From previous quotes I know those two items alone will be at least £300, then there’s the cost of the service, MoT etc. I’ve stated before I’d spend £500 on, I reckon I’ll be very close to that and that’s without any other faults.

However, it did have a new genuine cam belt and water pump as soon as I bought it, and I recently stuck a new starter motor on it. Joncedric kindly gave me some lights, mirrors and other components for it, so the chipped headlamp it’s suffered is no big problem.

Faults I’ve lived with for the two years I’ve owned it are clicking driveshafts and an oil leak (yes, on a Toyota!). Clutch a bit soft, but been OK to date.

Something of this larger-than-usual family car size is handy for me, as I’m collecting lengths of timber and materials for the house on a regular basis.

Ideal would be to find a better, lower mileage example and keep my current one for spares, so if anyone sees one for sale please let me know. No V6’s though please. None on eBay right now, but a similar one on Autotrader for £489 with 230k on the clock. Still looks remarkably tidy though, one owner from new.

In writing this I’ve convinced myself that the best thing is to keep it (better the Devil you know and all that), but I’d welcome any other suggestions and examples of what else is available that fits the bill. One off-the-wall thought I’ve had is to buy a Patrol 5dr for occasional carting (and even towing) then buy a smaller, more economical daily.

Those Mitsubishi Galant wagons are not as big but offer some practicality.

Posted Image

Very handsome cars.

Also a similarly aged Honda Accord/Mazda 626 wagon would be just as good. As durability and economy is a factor have you considered a Peugeot 405 Diesel wagon? Or a Subaru legacy - they tend to be well looked after.

I vote to stick with it. Yes, £500 would probably find a suitable replacement but there's no guarantee you're not buying in to a new potential can of different worms.Take it you've shopped around on the 'screen? When I needed one for the 405 quotes ranged from £300 (RAC) to £110 (National Mobile Windscreens). No guesses for who I plumped with. Despite the oddball nature, I'm sure the screen is shared with the saloon and should be relatively easy to come across. Also, what kind of service does it need? If the cambelt etc have been done already it should be easily DIY-able (plugs, filters etc), to save a few more bob.Despite my love of 405 estates, unless you have time and patience to weed them out, there are too many ticking timebombs of the diesel variety out there TBH. A petrol would be fine - I saw a 1.8 in a scrappy with 260k on the clock - but the economy wouldn't be any better, really, than the Cam'. Also, despite my estate being a 2-owner example with all the history (including invoices!) from day 1, I've spent out about £500 to just get it mechanically A1 (I'm ignoring the expense on the bodywork damage here!). And I see a lot of Galants on the market with duff gearboxes etc. Legacy is a good call from DC, however.Still, my vote is bite the bullet, get the work done, then wang some Waxoyl in it to keep it sweet for another few years.

I’ve been ploughing through estates on eBay since posting this, must say there’s nothing that makes me think I should do anything other than you suggest RW. At the money I’d want to spend, most of the 405/Mondeo size stuff look like tired workhorses, and a lot of the bigger ones are auto or V6.Windscreen was quoted last MoT at £120, but they managed to overlook the chip then that is now a full width crack. It’s actually the exhaust that’s a pain, Toyota want £280 for the rear box, local place could get that down to £240 or I can get a stainless Powerflow one for £160, made to suit. Bosal etc pattern ones are NLA, it seems, but does anyone know of anywhere that stocks exhaust stuff like that? Bet there are a few kicking about somewhere, it’s just not worth anyone’s while to list it for general sale due to low demand.I think it would still be worth my while buying another Camry if ever one turns up cheap, weighing up which is the better option long term and keeping the other for spares. Do please let me know if any of you see one.

Another vote on sticking with it, my Galant needs a lot of tinkering which I'll never get done in time for MOT (so now it is time for the Stanza to shine!), but I definitely want it done. It's a pretty big overhaul to be honest - engine/gearbox/diff need a bit of tinkering, cambelt change, welding, paint, loads of random bits like ignition parts and a service. It'll all add up and it could easily come to £500+, more than I paid for the car in the first place. On top of that, I have already spent a bit of cash having the brake calipers overhauled earlier this year.However, with that added onto the cost of the car and any previous work, it still only comes to a bit over a grand. For something I've put over 7000 miles of daily driver action onto, I reckon it works out very cheap! And giving it that sort of overhaul should mean it doesn't need a lot spending on it for a while to come.In conclusion, get it sorted!

Yo Hirst,

for your galant, I am envisaging you taking the engine + box off me from the sigma wagon. You can have it for the nowt and it runs super well, no point spending coins on your old 1.6 motor in that case. Only obstacle to me hoiking it out the car, is that the garage is STILL full of this old heap.

Posted Image

Re: the exhaust, my mondeo needed a new one when I bought it in April 07, I've patched it twice with no-nails type grip adhesive and each time has lasted 6 months. After the run to Cornwall and back I had to fill a small hole but thats it and it's still holding well.This was not a small hole, it's a big hole around where the pipe enters the silencer. As far as I know, they can't fail it on the MOT unless it's leaking, all they can do is say it has a temporary repair.

That's a mega generous offer and I'll definitely take you up on it, you can have a bit more than nowt if you're going to the trouble of taking it out though! I think there was another bit I need to change to a 5-speed conversion, can't remember what though, propshaft? Dunno now.I'll need a think on how to get it back up to me, how do people usually manage it? I have zero towbars and the most heavy duty hauling machine is that comically lightweight 323 Wagon.

Top offer there! Glad I started this thread if that takes place.Good idea RG, got a tube of that in the gun at home, nowt to lose by liberally chucking some on the hole.

Or even use it to stick a flattened can over it or something of the hole is in the middle of the silencer.You could stick the can on, then cover it with the stuff. I chuck loads on of the cheapo tube I get at the market for a £1. I'll try and take a pic later.

I think sticking with it is the sensible course of action SL; the Gripfill exhaust method is a good 'un, I did this myself on Mrs W's Fabia.Have you tried www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk ? They have an exhaust section, and it lists several options for the Camry 2.2 between 1994 and 1996. It doesn't differentiate between saloon and estate for this age of model - it does for the earlier ones - but it might be worth checking with your local friendly Toyota dealer if there is actually a difference or not...it seems to me the chassis code (SXV10) is the same for both...On this screen (http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/category/camry-22i-0894-0896) it seems to indicate a rear box is available and only £100. Might be spurious, but worth a try...I've ordered from these guys before (Senator centre pipes) and they were pretty good. Could try comparing your box as it stands to the one in the picture, anyway...

There's also this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-CAMRY-2-2-GL-SXV10-1991-1996-BACK-BOX-EXHAUST_W0QQitemZ270263846573Might be worth giving them a call to discuss - they seem to do a lot of Japanese parts. Never used them myself, but their Accord radiators (should I need one) are reasonably priced so may do in the future...Other option is to do an eBay US search, of course - with the dollar/pound rate still being quite healthy, and the fact that your model was built in Kentucky, you should still have quite a healthy saving even with shipping.

I vote hanging on to the Camry too. If it ran like a bag of nails or needed a lot of welding then fair enough but you could end up throwing more at a new purchase as others have said.I'm in a similar quandry with the Accord which is currently sat on axle stands in my dad's garage until I summon up the enthusiasm to finish the bodywork off. :roll: It hadn't been used since July but it fired up straight away and drove like a dream when I took it there last week, no complaints and no seized up bits.I'm just not confident it'll sail through the MoT next month but it would be great if I can get another years ticket for not much money because it'll make a great winter hack. If it fails I'll have to think about my next move with it as it really is borderline at present.I just hate chucking a car away that's 90% OK!

Nice one RW! It wasn’t on the page you linked to, but I dug around and discovered it on another one, fortunately I already have a Bosal one on the car and it gave me the part number (228-905) which I could cross-refer it with. Reckon the one you put up was for saloon, shame it doesn’t say so. Pay day tomorrow, better get it ordered.

Result! I wish to be referred to as "Master of the Pipes" in all further communications :lol: Looking at this US auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Camry-Wagon-1995-1996-2-2L-Rear-Muffler-Exhaust_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQihZ011QQitemZ320144057057), from the pic I'd say it looks very similar to the Izeura one anyway. Might be worth calling them and saving £13? Mind you, I'd probably err on the side of caution and go for another Bosal if you already have one on. I've had Bosal stuff on most of my cars - local garage does them at trade price with a 2yr guarantee - with nary a problem.

If it fails I'll have to think about my next move with it as it really is borderline at present.

At this point I'd like to register my interest!

You're out of control Hirst man! What happened to the blue 626?

I'd forgotten about that one! Wouldn't that've been a good daily replacement for the Galant?What about Ed's Sunny estate? I'd still happily home that one down here if you decide you have enough, as a good owner was found for the Subaru I vaguely had in mind.Surely Vicsmith can't keep stashing them away for you?...

626 recently went down for a test and it came back needing more welding than was anticipated, it's not the end of the line for it though, just more than I can justify spending right now. So me and Vicsmith are going to stash it away for now and fix it up later on, making it an official company car or something equally ludicrous.In the meantime I'm going to use the Stanza instead as it still has a valid ticket on it, but it'll be a bit of a downgrade from the Galant, so I don't want to be stuck in that forever, despite the mega-comfortable seats. People might think I'm suffering from the supposed "credit crunch" or something equally toss.I've not heard anything about the Sunny, probably for the best as I'm a bit skint now. Just seemed like a really good buy, I think you should get it! GR8 4 POTTERING

SL, while it looks like you're sorted for exhaust I'd never let something like that cause me to move a car on. At the end of the day its a pipe with some baffles in (assuming you're not talking about a cat section) and replacement of rusty bit of pipe with a non rusty section or silencer from something else is very easy if you know a man with a welder. I'd offer myself if you were closer.

Master of the Pipes.

YO!I'm sure the Scrapman could knock something up suitable, but I do wonder if a lambda-sensor-equipped motor such as this could have the back pressure levels upset by a non-standard backbox, and light up the engine management light/go into "limp mode"?I could be talking cobblers, of course - someone must have the engineering know-how to put me straight?

I know very little (er actually less than that) about injected motors but would have thought that a small change in pressure wouldn't really affect a modern system. I figure it would re-adjust itself a little as it must with different grades/qualities of fuel. Anyhow I wasn't suggesting Mr Laurel fitted a straght through 3" bire pipe - I think a similarly sized silencer of perhaps a similar year & similar engined UK spec car could be spliced in by a capable Piffle. :wink:Edit:R-R MODE ENGAGED> Star exhaust out the bonnet FTW!

hey why not get a 12" diameter universal rolled chrome tip 'ULTIM8 MIDNIGHT JOBCENTRE STREET WARRIOR' backbox from the kekker department in Halfords? You should get approx 48% increase in BHP and Mrs_Laurel will love it - all chicks go mad 4 a wikkid blinged up mota innit bruv. SORTED

Anyhow I wasn't suggesting Mr Laurel fitted a straght through 3" bire pipe - I think a similarly sized silencer of perhaps a similar year & similar engined UK spec car could be spliced in by a capable Piffle. :wink:

Indeed - apologies if you thought my comment was mod-inspired, I was just wondering about emission control gubbins tolerance. My thoughts were you can get away with this kind of thing on older stuff - indeed, an Australian blog using a 405TD as a project car suggests using a Holden Commodore back box for loadsapowah gain (with suitable air intake mods), but then that engine is pretty basic...

For the sake of £90 delivered I've ordered a new back box from that place Master of the Pipes found. Bit odd they can still get them, apparently direct from the makers, when my local exhaust place couldn't.It's easy enough to fit being the one right at the back, just heavy as it's Very Big.Boso star exhaust suggestion amused me...I'll leave the 'screen until MoT time, the crack is below my eye line so it's no real problem. Must get the tracking checked though as it's squealing a bit on some corners.Octavia would be too small for my needs, sadly. Not sure it'd really be 'me' either.

Glad they came up with the goods SL.Surprised that an Octavia would be considered too small...is a Camry much bigger in the load compartment? I haven't compared the Skoda with the 405, but I've often thought an Octavia will be what I replace them with. Hopefully at least another 3-5 years off.