Yugo for life (in hell)

hauserplenty

I couldn't resist asking about this chap's 1987 Yugo GV...I'd seen it parked in his driveway for quite a while, and I finally managed to stop by when he was home. "Are you really interested in it?" he kept asking. Well, I was...until I did more research. But more on that in a moment:

0616131431a_zpsdb9391b9.jpg

Of course, it's not worth the asking price, but when was a Yugo ever worth what was paid for it? I'm still not quite barmy enough to buy it...but I guess there's still time:

0616131438c_zps374ddc51.jpg

"I'll throw in a trunkload of spare parts..." Actual meaning: "I've been dying to get rid of this shite..."

It's a great value all right:

0616131443_zps6ad568e5.jpg

A nice little earner, this car. Looks like it's been sitting (natch!)

Yeah, but does your Yugo have a start button on the dash?

0616131434b_zpsc1637ed7.jpg

The speakers are worth more than the car:

0616131434a_zps0ec38b6a.jpg

One lump of America [sic]. Too bad it won't idle (I was told):

0616131438_zps1c967551.jpg

But that was probably just a safety feature to prevent you actually driving it (or buying it, thus saving your life should your windshield hit a bug.)

Ran when parked:

0616131438a_zps5976fc6e.jpg

Seatbelts are always a good idea:

0616131447c_zpsbf9e5feb.jpg

I thought it might make a very acceptable commuter car, what with a fresh timing belt and all of 88K on the clock. But of course that means it's long since broken in, (i.e. worn out!) and in Yugo mileage, that means it's a bit like a million-mile Toyota. But with much less resale value.

I'd have to be crazy to buy this car. Oh well, back on the road to sanity, I am.

For further reading, may I suggest:

http://www.zastava-yugo.co.uk/

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=498707

http://www.theyugobook.com/scripts/excerpt.pdf

http://www.inet.hr/~bpauric/epov.htm

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/transport/2010/01/was_the_yugo_really_the_worst_car_ever.single.html

What do you call a Yugo with a flat tire? Totaled.

What’s included in every Yugo owner’s manual? A bus schedule.

What do you call a Yugo that breaks down after 100 miles? An overachiever.

Yugos came with heated rear windows--to keep your hands warm while you pushed 'em.

Car dealers at the time nicknamed 'em BICs. Flick this!

Fair enough, it really is a fine example of a disgusting turd vehicle from the West Coast...

The biggest reason I can see not to buy it, is that the chap won't take a gas cap in trade for it.  'Cos that's all I got...and I'd be overpaying, at that. Carbeureted, California-legal versions of this car were quite underpowered. I would guess the 55 hp figure is as optimistic as the 110-MPH speedometer: downhill in a hurricane, sure. I'll buy that...but I'm not quite convinced yet. But if anyone can talk me into it, I'm sure autoshiters can!

What's wrong with that!! :smile: It's irresistable for all the reasons you've explained lol. I have one of those (the last few sold in the UK were named "Tempo" in a vain attempt to increase sales). It's a must-have for the dedicated shiter. Actually it's an ok little run-around, and probably no worse than any similar vehicle of this type from this era. OK it's not fast, but that's not the point. Go on...you know it makes sense :smile:

California-legal versions of this car were quite underpowered. I would guess the 55 hp figure is as optimistic as the 110-MPH speedometer

As a great man once said: "It's a Yugo. It's built for economy, not for speed!"

Maybe the gold bar on the rear seat will sway your decision?

They also seem to attract the ladies. :)

nick-and-norahs-infinite-playlist-nick-t

PURCHASE

"We wanted a dependable second car!"

"But instead, we bought a Yugo."

I'm sure everybody needs a Yugo sometime...but I'm not sure if now's my time.

Hubba-hubba! Wotta doll! Well, if it'd improve my luck like that, I'd already have bought the damn thing...but I doubt that it would without a gold bar on the rear seat!

6978196240_36f88f86ce_z.jpg
Scooters's Yugo by Skizzer, on Flickr

I had a go in this one when I went with Scooters to collect it from Nigel Bickle.  The acceleration didn't threaten to snap anyone's neck, but it did handle pretty well - rather like the 1960s Fiat that lurks somewhere in its ancestry.

Buy it immediately then go out in search of a road with bends in it.

Aye, agreed - I didn't say it would be a quick search!  I sense it's a California car so there might be some hills and/or coasts to be had.  

Also GR11.2 for staging a remake of Duel with the Yugo in the Plymouth Valiant role.  More or less anything else on the road could stand in for the Peterbilt.

As seen with Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks in Dragnet...

i088585.jpg

Do it, Lou!  I drove an ex-gf's one of these while we were dating, not long after I had a 1976 Fiat 127; both with the 903cc engine.  Sure it won't be the fastest thing on the road, but it's a very willing little powerplant, and handles accordingly.  The 127 was the industry standard when Ford was developing the mk1 Fiesta.  As I understand the story, Ford bought a couple of 127s new, stripped them, and fitted their lovely* new Fiesta running gear to see how it measured up.  Yugo, on the other hand, simply re-skinned the 127.  The ancestry is glaringly evident, but that's fine, Fiat sold a lot of their old designs to the Eastern Bloc and look how much we love them here!

Having had several of these various recycled Fiats in a long history of crap old cars, my advice is: don't expect much.  If it does anything at all, be glad.  If it does anything well, then you've really scored and should celebrate!  Go back there right now and buy it.  We need a San Diego restoration thread!

I've had the honour* of driving both the 903cc and the 1116cc versions of the Yugo. It feels less nippy and more agricultural than its Fiat and Autobianchi siblings, but it's still pretty good fun.

The 1301cc version should feel rather fast, even with all the US smog crap. And if the performance is not adequate, you can always do what an old acquaintance of mine did : gas flowed head, race cam and twin DCOE45s. He guesstimated 120HP and his car was a delightful way to scare/kill yourself.

I've had the honour* of driving both the 903cc and the 1116cc versions of the Yugo. It feels less nippy and more agricultural than its Fiat and Autobianchi siblings, but it's still pretty good fun.

The 1301cc version should feel rather fast, even with all the US smog crap. And if the performance is not adequate, you can always do what an old acquaintance of mine did : gas flowed head, race cam and twin DCOE45s. He guesstimated 120HP and his car was a delightful way to scare/kill yourself.

If it runs, the performance is adequate. It is a Yugo, after all. And I'm a Yank with lowered expectations, thanks to "the new normal". I'd consider it cheap insurance against the coming onslaught of $5.00-a gallon gas. You lot are used to that already, because you have to buy your crude from Brent, and he charges more.  The car scares me when it's parked, so I guess it really doesn't matter how fast I can get it to go. Of course those mods do sound enticing, but I get the feeling I wouldn't be able to register it again. Smog laws now have changed, and this car would be subject to testing every year, at the most expensive/least common smog stations. I do have an 80-mile commute I could use it for, but I don't like my odds against a golf cart, let alone a Peterbuilt. Funny how the Mitsubishi/Dodge Colts, Suzuki Swifts, Subaru Justys etc. are all extinct...?

I could keep the tradition of underpowered/inadequate econoboxes alive with this car, but y'see, me and its owner are verrry far apart on the price. I think he needs to take a zero off, to start. I'm on a low budget here.

Restoration thread? I'd be happy to oblige, but so far it's not in the cards. Does washing and waxing the damn thing count? At least it shouldn't take too long. I need to glue on a 3" piece of trim, and replace the spare tire...Oh yeah, and get it to idle. That should be fun!

I know where there are some great mountain roads to test the handling though...assuming it can make it to the mountain. Mom hates the idea. She keeps saying, "Remember: they were called BICs!" (She worked at a Mitsubishi dealer at the time.)

I used to be indecisive.

But now I'm just not sure.

He wants $800.

I'm at $80.

$200-300 for smog & registration.

I'll get 30 MPG on my commute...and I'll get laughed at everywhere I go.

Major upside is the mileage.

I must admit, I like that little car. I almost feel sorry for it--like adopting a stray dog at the pound.

They're almost all gone. Smog regulations and "Cash for Clunkers" have wiped out the cheap econo-car. In that sense, this Yugo is the most bog-spec econobox possible. If I wanted a better econobox, I might be able to find one, but for two grand or so. We have newer versions of the hatchback, but the term is no longer used. Now they're called "Minis"! (Station wagons are called "crossovers" now, too.)

I get the sense that our 1300cc would have the performance of your 903cc version. People tend to drive as fast as they can, as soon as they can on the interstates, and the slow acceleration means you risk being run over every time you take a freeway on-ramp. It's a white-knuckler going uphill. And forget about passing! For city driving, great. But the upside is...uhh...wait for it...