North West AutoMarty

Marty

What's a 'Metro Sport', just some rubbish special edition?

Yes - a boggo standard 1.3HL with slightly sporty looking wheels (optional extra - or you could have trimz sir) and half leather stering wheel.Not until the GTa edition did the lump get breathed on slightly and it got the slightly sporty seats and steering wheel as standard - the GTa also got cross spoke alloys too, which look quite nice painted white.It was still a bag of old ladies crusty pants though.

Yes my mate had a D plate Metro Sport, however his was based on the Ultra Povo Spec City, with 'trimz, stripes (ending in a fetching tennis ball motif), a britax pop up 'roof and erm... thats it. Not even a Clock, Cig Lighter.. nuffin!! :roll:

Early Metros also had a problem with the low down fuel filler just in front of the rear wheel arch. It would slosh fuel onto the OSR wheel on left hand bends causing the rear end to lose grip. I seem to recall a number of police panda cars were involved in such incidents, after which BL did something about the problem. A girl in our school sixth form (this is going back a bit!) rolled her Metro at low speed on left hand bend. I remember she described the rear sliding outwards and she veered up the nearside bank, putting the car on its roof. It was years later I heard about the fuel filler issue and always wondered if it was the cause of her accident.

Funnily enough I was reading some 'Outraged of Tunbridge Wells' letters in Motor from the mid-80s on exactly that subject recently, although it did remind me of people who fill their cars to the brim, then wonder why petrol starts coming out of the overflow when they've parked their cars in the sun...Cross-spoke white alloys - as on the Advantage special edition, no? Torsten, I think the alloys you mention weren't cross-spoke, but still nice. I have a bizarre hankering for a wood n' leather Rover Metro 1.4GS myself...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

For some reason I thought this was a 3 door, I realise now its not :(

Posted Image

Davey Bond Waggon

Posted Image

Sponge for bumpers, now there is a novelty....

Posted Image

Another mint Mk1.... Where do they keep coming from?

Posted Image

Garlic eccentricity and unreliability in its basic form...

Posted Image

A very shit photo of a rare working Vel Satis.

Just read this thread through -- some great spots, Marty!The first car on p1, the black Viva drag-monster, wasn't that on the bay recently? Apparently quite usable.Absolutely love the BX harlequin! My brother built a Ford Ka version out of a vandalized write off. He ran a breakers yard in Leeds at the time. It was his son's first car, I think. Turned some heads, that one.Keep up the spotting...looks like the weather is usually too foul in Blackpool to venture out of the comfy,warm BX though! :wink::)

I think its more my tidying up my photobilge account and arranging into separate folders, Just been looking back myself and it looks like I spend a lot of time at McD's

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of the busted links again...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

I have quite a bit to upload, but having "issues" with my home PC - but caught site of two beauties which needed immidiate upoloading off my phone (apologies if I cant get the Metro with its Supercover sticker the right way up - photobilge is being a cnut today)

Posted Image

Somewhere near Garstang

Posted Image

St Annes on Sea.

Is the Renault 18 a diesel? I seem to remember them having a little diesel badge on the grille..

Not sure, Snapped in a hurry whilst trying to find this totally out of the way GP practice - I was Uber late and Uber lost. :(

I have quite a bit to upload, but having "issues" with my home PC - but caught site of two beauties which needed immidiate upoloading off my phone (apologies if I cant get the Metro with its Supercover sticker the right way up - photobilge is being a cnut today)

Posted Image

Somewhere near Garstang

Posted Image

St Annes on Sea.

The postman has the same Renault except his in perfect condition, possibly restored, but an original Irish registered car. I remember that was one of the cars my Dad thought of getting, the one he looked at in the showroom was green, he instead plumped for a Toyota Carina.