Postcards from the hedge

Karmann Ghiaman

Posted Image

It's at http://www.countryclassics-cars.com/

Tempting, but there are 2 prices quoted, a sensible £295 and a silly £1,750. I THINK it's 2 different cars, but they've used the picture of the cheaper one to try to sell the more expensive.

Possible. Or maybe £1750 is after it's had a body overhaul. Want it though!

These are my favourites.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love this period shot - is that one of those yellow British Telecom vans as shown on Craig's latest thread? What type of van / lorry could it be?

Posted Image

Wow - where is this? Seems to contain every type of Autoshite under the sun - couldn't see an R14 though. Great fun working out what you can see though!

Posted Image

I love the vibrancy of colour in this, it would look great blown up & put on a wall! 8)

Föcking Amal, Sweden

Posted Image

A Swedish colleague at work informs me that Åmål is a place in Sweden. Focking Åmål is a film about a young lesbian growing up there who finds the town somewhat boring. So perhaps this picture was publicity for that movie?

[Hope you're not now going to trawl Swedish Amazon hoping to locate a DVD of that film so you can drool over all those chunky Volvos & Saabs parked all over the focking place.]

That'll be tame stuff compared with your Dutch movies, michiel... :shock:

Anyway, here are a few more British classics. These two are both from Roberts & Wrate Ltd. of Portsmouth, though interestingly 'Made in U.S.A.' A lovely touch is that they tell us motorists how to get there, so this place is 'located on roads A 27 and A 284' [sic]:

Posted Image

Anyone recognise it? Looks like one of those tinny corrugated French vans behind the AA sign...rare automerde for England.

This place 'is located by roads A 272 and 286'. They seem to have deliberately included hostelries too:

Posted Image

Q. Daddy, daddy, is it OK to drink and drive?

A. Of course not. Don't be so silly.

Q. So why do pubs have carparks?

Back to my favourite, Stratford-upon-Avon:

Posted Image

Looks like the rich-kids-at-school's dads were visiting en masse that day.

Posted Image

HELMETS MUST BE WORN (CHARIOT DRIVERS ONLY)

I have, however, often been to Tring (the late Karmann Ghiagranny lived there), where I collected this latest parkedshite card. Interestingly, it also features speedbumps, one of the greatest developments in recent motoring history:

Posted Image

Makes fascinating comparison with this still from Shillingbury Tales, more of which can be enjoyed over at ATV:

Posted Image

Incidentally, very few of the views of 'Shillingbury' are Tring. Most of it seems to have been filmed in a much smaller village.

Posted Image

TWO POACHED EGGS ON TOAST PLEASE

3 points and a £60 fine to Mr Dead_E23 for Arundel. (I've never been there either.)

Posted Image

Ever been to Midhurst?

(That one was quite tricky - still not sure what the pub is)

Yes! 3 more points on your licence, Mr D! The pub is the Spread Eagle. Your artist wasn't advertising for them, nor did he include vintage cars & an overflowing litter bin in his nice drawing of the church. Oh, and he got the whole spire in too. No career in postcard photography for HIM then.

I stayed at the Spread Eagle when I used to do the Goodwood Revival. Nice place, but needed a second and third mortgage to pay the bill. My best mate STILL raves about the Ozzie bar-maid who worked there, but he earns 7 figures in the City and drives a Proton Wira. I would not let his judgement guide anyone.

I know Arundel very well - only a few miles up the road. If the crow flying had been supping whisky from a saucer, you could go from mine, upto Nigel's then up to Arundel, probably 5-6 miles in total. I well recommend a visit to Arundel, I would say it probably has more interesting buildings per square mile, then anywhere else. It's like an old medieval hill top town, the perfect subject for post cards & such like. It seems to be self contained like St Mont Michel but between the river Arun & the South Downs rather than the sea. It boasts a full size castle in working order, a gothic looking cathedral, & loads of narrow winding streets full of old fashioned buildings, a bit of a jewell in the Sussex crown. If a more interesting & attractive little town exists, I don't know of it. It's perfect for tourists - but as has been mentioned, better visit early autumn or spring when things will be open but you'll find somewhere to park - it gets very crowded during high season.

I love this period shot - is that one of those yellow British Telecom vans as shown on Craig's latest thread? What type of van / lorry could it be?

Do you know where this is Regie?Local to you?Looks a nice place to live/visit.

Do you know where this is Regie?Local to you?Looks a nice place to live/visit.
Those were just my favourites from elsewhere in this thread, all from page 5 / 6 and were all posted by Michiel. That one is Rhondda in Wales so quite a long way from me - I would make the journey though if I thought for one moment it would be 1977 /78/79?? when I arrived & all those vehicles would be there (Life on Mars stylee!) :D