Postcards from the hedge

Karmann Ghiaman

The Wikipedia entry also gives some useful links to official sites. Best view of the Prince Charles Ears is in this picture, complete with two fur-clad & smouldering Ukrainian beauties to keep you warm in the ZAZ while the blizzard blows and the wolves howl outside:

Posted Image

Unfortunately those two weren't available when the 1998 model was revealed to the world, but they did manage to get Timothy Spall and a lady dressed as a traditional yurt:

Posted Image

But surely this is the greatest kit car ad EVER?

Posted Image

I mean, not only is it brown, colour of choice for the discering shiteshopper; but also they have actually backed it into a field full of weeds in advance! Even before it's left the catalogue, let alone the showroom, it's already being displayed in its natural environment. Sheer Soviet Era genius! Look out Proton...

Posted Image

OK Comrades, we obeyed Comrade Stalin, made many cars. Now to design engine...

Posted Image

When we put engine in boot, then arse go down.

Posted Image

Western car only got four cables from distributor, this got forty-seven!

Posted Image

Hey Comrade! Which way to airport?

Posted Image

It was a hard morning's work, Comrades, but we managed to get all four hubcaps off!

Posted Image

I'll get to Dneproprovolsk before you Comrade Daddy...

Posted Image

Yes, this car look just like me. I buy.

Heres my addition to a Qwalitat post 8)8)

The only post card I have with any form of TAT in view

A BR Motorail issue of somewhere in the West Country

Posted Image

Anyone got an unstuck one of those early 1990's RAC/FORD tax disc holders that seemed to come with all new fords around the 1991-94 period? always liked those.. quite fancy one on the probe :D

Yes, somewhere! I also found one inside the handbook of a mk3 Granada I test-drove a coupla years ago, but didn't have anywhere to hide it on giving the car back :)

I think DarrenW has pictures from Bavaria, Derbyshire (Ashbourne?) & Wales. Don't ever let spectacular countryside spoil your enjoyment of crap-on-wheels.

Vin, railway buffs will nail that station for you! The car that was behind the Jag seems to have fallen off... :oops:

Keep 'em coming please, every hedge is full of postcards. :wink:

Oh this thread just gets better :D:lol: Thanks BS6 for location identification skillzzz :) In the Edinburgh pic can anyone ID the car between the Beetle and the Austin to the right :?: Also clocked the tourists Daf ( :?: ) on Dutch plates ( :?: ) parked on the end and sampling the delights of the 'Fourways' - sausage roll and chips anyone :?:

Sorry if I’ve missed mention of it here, but is anyone else aware of the excellent Phaidon Boring Postcard books? I have two, one is UK and the other USA. Both are truly excellent.Been too busy to round my odd ones up, I’ll see if any live in Photobucket.I also have quite a few US car postcards, one was sent to a potential customer and amusingly says something like “Hey Mike, get better mileage with a ‘77â€Â.

I have quite a few US car postcards, one was sent to a potential customer and amusingly says something like “Hey Mike, get better mileage with a ‘77â€Â.

Mind if I butt in with a couple?

Posted Image

62 Corvair

Posted Image

1910 Rolls Royce

KJ

I think it's this one they can't ID.....

Posted Image

Ah, yes; that is a bit more of a problem...

But thinking about Humber Sceptres led to the discovery of this!

Posted Image

It's at http://www.countryclassics-cars.com/

Tempting, but there are 2 prices quoted, a sensible £295 and a silly £1,750. I THINK it's 2 different cars, but they've used the picture of the cheaper one to try to sell the more expensive. Something like that.

Yes, the BORING POSTCARDS books are endlessly fascinating, though I don't have any to hand. They include early souvenirs of motorways with three cars on them. They did partly inspire my own collection, though my basic theme is 'Nice place, shame about the cars...'

As with the job of writing verses inside greetings cards, no talent nor taste is required to become a postcard photographer. Unfortunately the spread of culture and education (and the fact that nobody bothers to send them anymore) mean that postcards are getting more and more artistic. So it's important to collect & preserve classics.

Slight deviation from theme: I was in W.H. Smith's in a nameless market town in the East Midlands yesterday, getting more & more irritated by the Christmas Crap books. There is now a veritable plethora of shoddily-produced 'nostalgia' anthologies of Eagle, Look & Learn, Jackie, etc. often with a sneering commentary from some media twat saying 'How innocent we were! How sophisticated we now are!' Well, duh! We were children then, weren't we? And look, we could concentrate and read interesting things (unlike today's instant gratification gimme-it-now generation). There are also dozens of truly third-rate rip-offs of The Dangerous Book for Boys (itself pretty feeble) with faux 1950s covers and complete bollox inside. Incidentally a lot of them are already available for 1/3rd of the price round the corner at the publishers' clearance shop. Unwanted Christmas presents coming your way!

...anyhow, just wanted to share that with you.