Yellow headlamps

andrew e

I always thought cars with yellow headlamps looked the business when I saw them as a kid, & I still think that now, but of course now you don't see the practise continuing on modern vehicles it only works on cars upto the early 90s.I never understood why it was just French cars (or cars registered in France) or cars that you saw in France that had them & I never understood why you suddenly didn't see it happen anymore. But on asking my parents about them, I believe the response was that they weren't legal to use over here hence why you never saw them. :? I reckon my R14 (possibly the Ritmo but not certain about that) would look cracking with a pair of yellow bulbs, especially as the normal lights on old skool cars look more yellowy anyway, so it'd just be taking things a bit further!

can i suggest yellow fogs for your ax squire :wink:

Posted Image

lots of cars here still on yellow lights, the main reason their isnt as many is whenn i go to the supemarket the only have white ones...

the french ran yellow lights during the war was not as bright (remember france was heavliy invaded by the old germans..and they kept running then and running then and running then lol

*irony john runs army colour with french stickers and its german :shock: *

I always thought cars with yellow headlamps looked the business when I saw them as a kid, & I still think that now, but of course now you don't see the practise continuing on modern vehicles it only works on cars upto the early 90s.

You should go out drinking in Leeds Reg, a certain taxi company have all their Minicabs fitted with them.. easier to spot amongst the hoards on a saturday night.. makes the place look nowt like paris either..

BTW, Yellow headlights are perfectly legal in the U.K. The MOT manual states that headlights can be either white or yellow (but clearly, NOT one of each!) and must be of the same brightness. Side light bulbs must be white if the headlights are white and must always be white if the sidelight bulb is a separate fitting and not incorporated into the headlight unit. Incidently, I also managed a few years ago to buy a load of yellow "cones", which clip over the H5 60/55 watt bulbs to give a yellow light. The good thing is that you can re-use these when a bulb blows! Andrew353w

That's interesting because I had one of each on my GSX-R in the late 90's but that was outside of the UK in Hong Kong.I only did it because I thought it looked "cool" at the time :roll:

I fitted some "bad weather" bulbs to one of my Fiascos that I got from Halfrauds [ the bulbs, not the Fiasco - I dont think Halfrauds sell old crappy Fords] ( I think they were Osram or Philips branded) and they had a yellowy blue tinge. I only fitted them because I thought they looked cool - they did bugger all in the "bad weather".

I have some cheapo rectangle-shaped "Ring" spotlamps (of the sort you can still buy in Motorworld, unbelievably). I was just wondering if I obtained some of this yellow paint and did them, would it work? Or would it be an absolute disaster?

I bought a small bottle of headlamp yellow lens tint back in 1995 for the Fiesta mk3 that was my first car; I tinted the bulbs in the pair of crappy "Ring" foglamps that I attached underneath the front bumper. Worked fantastically for about 30 minutes then I found that the stuff had melted off and coated the reflectors of the foglamps :roll::lol:

Fine if you do the outside of the lens... I did come across another bottle of yellow tint stuff still on sale at a motor factors in Leicester last year, there can't have been more than 30ml of the stuff but the robbing bastaads wanted about a fiver for it. I did not complete the transaction :)

Remember my mother taking a car - supershite Austin Mini I think - abroad in the early '70s & having to fit plastic yellow-tinted covers over the headlamps. It being that Golden Age of poor quality control they did not fit at all well. Seems to be one of those anally retentive 'rules' designed simply to make law-abiding people's lives a bit more difficult & remind them that they are always subject to petty bureaucracy. Isn't there now a crazy law in France that you have to carry a reflecting jacket in every vehicle in case it breaks down in the dark?!?

If a classic British car is sold to a country where they drive on the right, you have to adjust the lamps to shine inwards the other way, so why make such a fuss if one of ours goes over for a week or two's holiday?

Posted Image

• 2 months later...

If any member of the forum wants some glass covers to clip over their H4 halogen bulbs, I've just acquired 20 yelow ones! Please email me and I'll be happy to post on, as and when required, at cost. Incidently, they look great on French cars....Andrew353w