Yellow headlamps

andrew e

Yellow bulbs are better tbh, though they can be difficult to come by. You occasionally find them on ebay or you can get a yellow glass surround that fits over your existing lightbulb (or so I was told....)Otherwise down to the local art / craft shop.

I have a pair of yellow bulbs on the CX. I got one from a friend who removed one from an abandoned Renault 3 in France and the other from a French classic 2cv thing called http://www.amidela2cv.fr/ but they don't seem to have any now.

The yellow lights are officially called 'Selective yellow' and they're better in the rain, snow and fog than white. They're not as good in unlit country roads.

They look good and make the road signs reflect yellow at night.

Posted Image

Posted Image

They can still be had in auto places in some of the more rural French departments such as Limousin. Don't think you can get them from the French version of Halfrauds anymore.

Most decent motor factors sell specific bulb paint, it`s very cheap, it can be used to repaint orange indicator bulbs that have flaked and caused an MOT fail, I always used to keep some in case we ran out of bulbs at the lot. The first coat gives a yellow appearance, it took 2 or 3 to get orange, you could do the sidelight bulbs with that if its just "for fancy", I`m presuming it would be unsuitable for the headlamp bulbs but then again the yellow ones had to be coloured somehow....

Vic ta - this thread [hushes] is almost usefull, I hope its not deleted by the management :lol: However if ever VW beetle in England ends up with yellow lights I will drive of beachy head in a Pink Micra CC as self imposed "scene" punishment. I apologise now :oops:

My 3 series appears to have a slight yellow tinge on the headlamp bulbs, but I can't work out if they're meant to be like that. The inner lights are definately not yellow, but the outers seem to be at least slightly so.I wonder if it went to France in its early life for a holiday. Hmm.

My grandfather always painted the headlamps on his cars yellow, i can clearly recall his Zephyr six, Hillman Hunter, and Talbot Samba all having yellow headlights! (never understood why he did it, i thought it looked shite!) He never bothered on his Corsa Automatic though lolGoes to show the shite he was driving though, as im only 26 so some of those cars were bloody old when i was born lol.

Are yellow headlamps not a bit on the illegal side, though?I'm pretty sure the 'construction & use' law forbids anything other than white lights (except the indicators, which have to be amber) on the front of a vehicle.(Maybe pre 1973 vehicles are exempt from this, I'm not sure. I know pre '73s are allowed black and white non reflective number plates, so maybe.)

I stand corrected, Albert.

I was an MOT tester from 1996-2001. I have to admit, I never came across a car with yellow headlamps, although I failed a few for showing white lights to the rear (which is definitely not allowed!) Most times it was number plate lamps which had lost their shrouds, but I recall a Mitsubishi Colt which had a white flourescent tube fitted to it's parcel shelf!

(I wasn't one of those pernickity twats who'd fail a car for just this. If a point of failure could be quickly put right/removed or whatever, I'd do it. Most times these 'trivial' failures were just one of many)

I think white lamps make a lot more sense, mind. From a purely 'being able to see where you're going at night' point of view....

Way back in 1993, when the French were ordered by the EU to give up their yellow headlights, I was working there and bought loads of them from car accessory shops, at give away prices. Since then I've made a point of fitting, when possible, yellow lights to any car I have or repair; they are more easily seen and an oncoming driver's more lokely to notice the a car with yellow lights. Incidently, the French also give you a friendly wave if your use them in France-clearly an anti-EU thing!Andrew353w

BTW, Yellow headlights are perfectly legal in the U.K. The MOT manual states that headlights can be either white or yellow (but clearly, NOT one of each!) and must be of the same brightness. Side light bulbs must be white if the headlights are white and must always be white if the sidelight bulb is a separate fitting and not incorporated into the headlight unit. Incidently, I also managed a few years ago to buy a load of yellow "cones", which clip over the H5 60/55 watt bulbs to give a yellow light. The good thing is that you can re-use these when a bulb blows! Andrew353w

I bought a small bottle of headlamp yellow lens tint back in 1995 for the Fiesta mk3 that was my first car; I tinted the bulbs in the pair of crappy "Ring" foglamps that I attached underneath the front bumper. Worked fantastically for about 30 minutes then I found that the stuff had melted off and coated the reflectors of the foglamps :roll::lol:

• 2 weeks later...