Discovery desires - rot replacement

dollywobbler

It's no good. I just can't do it anymore. I know they're shite, but I want one. I must own a pre-facelift Discovery 1.

This is why.
yan-disco2.jpg?w=645

That's a 15-year old me in 1993, driving a Discovery 200Tdi auto prototype. Apparently, J34 VKV still exists. I would dearly love to find it. But, realising that this is unlikely, I'll settle for finding any 1993 or earlier Discovery.

I'm well aware of the pitfalls - most of them, but not all rust related. The fact that boot floors and sills are readily available for them tells you that there's a market in supplying those parts. I know Land Rover engineering is questionable at times and that sadly a lot of Land Rover owners are complete idiots. However, just as there must be good Discovery 1s out there, I'm sure there are some owners who are not complete tools.

The Discovery may have its downsides, but there are an awful lot of them out there knocking on the door of 200,000 miles. That's not bad for something that was already 19 years old when it was first launched - being a Range Rover in a bumpy frock.

So, it's no longer a question of if I own one. I think my next purchase will be one. Fact. But which one to go for?

I think I've ruled out a three-door - the extra practicality of five-doors wins, and it's a lot easier to replace the sills on one. There's no way I'm going to go for an Mpi either. They're cheap as chips but that's because it's the wrong engine. The Maverick was proof that a modern, high-revving petrol engine is utterly wrong in a 4x4.

So, it's the classic battle between rattly diesel or glorious V8. A possible 30mpg against an impossible 20. Purchase price doesn't really come into it - I've found tidy examples of both just shy of a grand - but running costs surely will. Now, I won't be clocking up vast mileage in this thing - even the diesel will seem an unlikely choice for a long distance trip - so fuel costs alone aren't necessarily a deciding factor. Both have masses of torque and will be good for towing. The turbo diesel has many failure points, but the V8 has a few of its own - two head gaskets for a start. Deciding which to go for is very tricky.

Whatever I go for, it'll be as close to standard as possible. I don't want ONE LIFE stickers, chequerplate or a row of stupid looking lights above the windscreen (that probably aren't even wired up). Am I mad or is there justification in this mission?

You only get one life, you might as well - hang on, what am I saying? :shock::wink:

I know they're shite, but I want one.

Actually I think you've answered your own question, right there. Either that or you're asking the wrong people.

These cars have been forever tainted in my eyes by the one I’ve seen round Crewe from time to time which has a load of BNP stickers on it plus a campaign poster in the back window calling for reintroduction of the death penalty for criminals. Annoying, as they seemed very appealing for the previous 20 years they’d been knocking about. Now thanks to one small minded racist I have been forced to stop liking them and can only like the TD5, which of course costs more.

Jeeps just don't appeal in the same way. The six-cylinder engines sound dreadful, the diesels are VM's finest and most importantly, they don't come from the West Midlands.

Please someone buy my Merc so can indulge in some Silhillian fantasy time.

By the way, proving how tough the Tdi engine is, that white one ingested a sh*t load of water the day before after someone drove it into a lake. The water was bonnet deep and enough leaked inside the car to fill the door pockets. The injectors were whipped out, the engine spun over for a bit and then it was left to dry. Ran fine! Though it was a bit smokey...

More photos to maximise my love of the Transit Mk2-inspired 4x4.

At launch in 1989, demonstrating its towing power in a quite unusual manner.

CwVpVzql.jpg

I do love a G-WAC. The Discovery looks no better than when on the standard steelies. Especially with those funky side graphics.

R2OaeExl.jpg

The Camel Trophy was a fine showground for these vehicles, though you can't actually see them here.

0.jpg

Sandglow is the colour of winners.

d20ann_discovery1_camel01_dc07.jpg

Project Jay could have looked like this.

Ah5lo8Nl.jpg

http://www.aronline.co.uk

Would you like your interior blue?

d20ann_discovery1_interior_399f.jpg

Or beige? (wood not standard)

Rusty170413009_zps8b448d6c.jpg

Five doors and standard steelies sounds like a rare combo.

How about this V8? Just over the border and MOT until October. The electrics will have driven you mad long before then.

$T2eC16JHJHEFFl0vrI0uBRmgikHiZg~~60_12.JPG

It's a classified ad asking £850 but he has laid himself open to derisory offers and, with a day and a bit to go, may settle for something more reasonable.

I really like the first series three door in white, I think the headlamp/grille arrangement looks like a MK2 Transit, whereas the later ones look like a metrocab.

Poor Man's Cherokee.

"I would rather push a Land Rover than drive a jeep".

The early Disco is shown much love here in rural South Oxon, and many chug merrily on the roads of the shire. If I see one up for chops, I will let you know.

I just sold the one in my avatar on Sunday, although you may not have liked it being a 3 door and of '94 vintage.

You'll find a reasonable one for under a grand, I've always had doozils but wouldn't turn down a v8 if it had gas fitted (20mpg is a bit optimistic, more like 14/15 realistically :shock: ). If you remove the cat from the tdi and turn the turbo up slightly (only slightly) you can get pretty reasonable performance for a 2 tonne lump of Solihulls finest and they aren't as noisy as you think.

Good luck with your search and if I hear of any good ones going I'll pass it on, although I may be a little far away.

I am getting an 18 mpg average from the Remarkably Red Rangey, which, being a 1990 car, has the 3.9 version of the V8. I mainly use it for chuggy local trips, although it does go like hell on the motorway when required.

I'd certainly hope for a little better than 15mpg from a V8. My LR 90 V8 did 15mpg absolute tops, but it had hideous aerodynamics, a pair of carburettors and crap gearing. With fuel injection, I'd hope for closer to 20 in most conditions, though resisting that noise may impact economy...

But a Tdi is likely to do rather better, will tolerate veg and I actually quite like the noise they make. Reminds me of work experience at Lode Lane in 1993 when almost every vehicle made that distinctive noise...

my old 3.5 RRC and Skattrds 3.9 never achieved more than about 15 except on one really long run I almost managed 19mpg but it was way too boring a drive to repeat.

On second thoughts though, both those v8's were on gas so that might explain us getting a bit less.

There was one time I thought I'd overdone it. I was in the Maverick and half way across a flooded stream crossing, the nose dropped into a hole. Water washed all over the bonnet and I was just waiting for the bang...

At least you can get off-the-shelf snorkel kits for Discos. There's nowt for Mavericks.

Some twerb put a totally gash home made snorkel on my old Landy. Drainpipe and crinkly stuff. This photo makes it look better than it was. It was shit (the snorkel, not the Landy, that was fooken ace). Bodgemeister General, or what?

landy1y.jpg

Had 5 discoverys ......

1994 200 tdi Auto - Pulled like a train, auto was great for offroading, just lock in 1st or 2nd low box and would conquer anything. Auto box caused it to be quite thirsty - 18 - 25 mpg depending on use

1996 3.9 V8, manual with LPG, ran a bit lumpy on gas till i'd swapped all the ignition components. Running costs worked out slightly less than a diesel (when running on gas) running on petrol caused the fuel needle to drop in front of your eyes (I didn't do this very often...)

1995 300tdi, Manual (Still got this one) Bought it 4 years ago with 160,000 on it, now on 180,000, its been abused off road, used for towing and holidays etc, fetching firewood. Had no mechanical issues at all other than a couple of wheel bearings and a couple of sets of brakes. Rust wise, in my ownership its had both sills replaced, rear wheel arches, body mounts. Boot floor had been replaced by previous owner. Needs front inner wings replacing for this years MOT (in progress at moment). I don't use it everyday, its a weekend toy.

1990 200 tdi Manual - bought this for £500 with a years MOT, just for the hell of it. Ran it for a year, sold it just before the MOT ran out, as it was about to need a load of welding and it seemed silly to own 2 discoverys at the same time. Sold it for more than I paid for it. Was superb mechanically, 2 owners from new and a box file full of history.

1999 TD5 Auto - Biggest mistake I ever made, drunken ebay purchase, sold it after the gear box shit itself. Also rear end of chassis was badly corroded.

In terms of ownership, apart from the TD5 i've had no major mechanical problems, it usual land rover stuff that lets them down, leaky windows, dodgy electrics, rust etc. All of the parts are available at sensible prices. I love mine and even if it self destructs i'd buy another to replace it. I get about 25mpg from the 300tdi driving around the pennines with a fairly heavy right foot.

I love the Discovery and I like the 200tdi - it's noisy but tough. Using cheapo steal was always going to be a problem, but it can all be sorted. They are very impressive of road and around here there are still plenty old ones with torn seats bumbling about towing sheep trailers and horse boxes.