The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Carbs out of balance can make some bikes sound awful at tickover too.

Camera sound can be deceiving too

Agreed - it's very deceptive, it also makes the clutch basket rattle too if there's any degree of wear there which sounds equally horrible. (My B12 did this if the carbs went out of sync). If you have a proper balancing gauge set then doing it is a half hour job usually. 

Just said I'll have a DT125LC on a Q plate if it hasn't sold by tomorrow night.

Wonder if I'm looking back with rose tinted specs or they really were more robust than the DT125R that replaced them?

Bonus is I have a frame and logbook for one of the earliest UK ones so that's the Q dealt with easily. Now I need to track down a 170 kit and a fresco exhaust

Wonder if I'm looking back with rose tinted specs or they really were more robust than the DT125R that replaced them?

Bonus is I have a frame and logbook for one of the earliest UK ones so that's the Q dealt with easily. Now I need to track down a 170 kit and a fresco exhaust

Saw that on eBay I think- up near Glasgow?

WINNER!

Made some progress with the bandit, put the other set of carbs on and they didn't leak, which was nice. 

Started and sounded much better, still a tad tappetty but more sewing machine than spanners in a washing machine. 

I think maybe a cylinder or 2 wasn't firing before so +1 internet mechanic points to JohnK.

It won't idle with the idle speed below about 1500-2000rpm, hoping I can get away with a quick blast out of the jets / pilot circuits.

i did the fork seal trick with the carton,it works (wont help if your stanchions are corroded though

Yeah the stanchions are in perfect condition, the bike has never seen a real winter as it spent all its life in Hong Kong.

I did the carton method on my old GS450GA back at the end of 2015 and was very impressed that it worked.

It's a Florida bike and in cracking condition, bought it as a non-runner.

YKlUayE.jpg

7CmQgNQ.jpg

Made some progress with the bandit, put the other set of carbs on and they didn't leak, which was nice. 

Started and sounded much better, still a tad tappetty but more sewing machine than spanners in a washing machine. 

I think maybe a cylinder or 2 wasn't firing before so +1 internet mechanic points to JohnK.

Think you might mean "John F" there, chief...

As mentioned in the grump thread, my throttle cabled snapped today. Handy it happened at home when I was turning the throttle to check I had enough slack in the wires for the just fitted heated grips.

My CBX has been on loan to a mate for the last couple of weeks. I turned up yesterday to pick it up & it was dead... no dash lights at all. Very strange, because he'd ridden it to work and back that very day.

Plenty of juice in the battery though, so I checked the ignition switch. One of the solder connections at the back of the switch had given way and the wire was hanging loose  :shock:

Luckily it hadn't happened while my mate was riding the bike, he doesn't understand how vehicles work.

Even more luckily, one of his neighbours saw me stripping the ignition barrel out & came over with a gas soldering iron, a reel of solder & a tin of flux, so 5 mins later I'd fixed it :-)