Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Bikeshite Thread

• Please log in to reply
2468 replies to this topic

#2461 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 4,379 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted Yesterday, 04:00 PM

Having just started running insurance quotes for various things on the off chance I pass my test in August, even the bloody insurance seems cheap for them so a ludicrous bargain for someone who has the readies available now.  It's coming up as half the price of a ZX6r / R6 and only a third of the price of Cavcrafts Blade (which nearing 4 figures on insurance puts me out for that, even if someone doesn't buy it first). 

Is there no chance of keeping hold of it and buying an additional bike instead? It's almost philanthropically cheap looking at Ebay.

On the insurance frontFor some reason it is half the price of a ZX6r / R6 and only a third of the price of Cavcrafts Blade (which nearing 4 figures on insurance puts me out for that even if someone doesn't buy it first). Maybe I should be looking a tad more naked.

Naked bikes are a lot cheaper to insure for new riders. For the simple reason if you throw it down the road it's £200 of engine covers & a lever buggered. Do the same on a fully faired spurts bike & it's more like £2,000 for genuine plastics, plus an engine cover & lever....

• LostnotFound likes this

#2462 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 4,379 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted Yesterday, 04:00 PM

The busa is taxed. I have booked it in for a service because I have never touched it apart from fuel and a new tyre. I also have braided hoses to go on to firm up the somewhat wooden brakes.

I used to do everything on my gixxer but with having another sprog I really do not have the time.

How old are the pads? I've had a few go wooden with age & just not work.

#2463 OFFLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

• Full Members
  • 1,079 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationThe Lakes

Posted Yesterday, 04:21 PM

Is there no chance of keeping hold of it and buying an additional bike instead? It's almost philanthropically cheap looking at Ebay.

Maybe I should be looking a tad more naked.

I can't afford another bike too, it is very cheap but it seems everyone wants a mint bike these days,it has a plum sized dent in the tank and a few other scuffs and scratches, the plan was to sort all the bits out over winter (prob £300 to make it mint), I'm amazed it hasn't sold, I change bikes every five minutes and I waited months for a street triple to come up at the right price (sub £3k) and every time I'd try to buy one it had been sold already.

• LostnotFound likes this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#2464 OFFLINE   Bren

Bren

• Full Members
  • 5,541 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationI dunno man - i only just got here meself!

Posted Yesterday, 04:49 PM

How old are the pads? I've had a few go wooden with age & just not work.

I have had the bike nearly four years and I have never changed them.

#2465 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 4,379 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted Yesterday, 05:02 PM

Probably worth doing then if they are still wooden after the hoses & fluid is done.

#2466 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

A lot of companies claim to be a one-stop shop

• Full Members
  • 3,097 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Apprentice at work today decided to "clean the chain" on his 125 at lunchtime.

I found out afterwords that he did it by running the thing in gear on the center stand, with an old towel held round the chain with some degreaser.

He's somehow still got all his fingers but obviously the towel got pulled in and wound round the sprockets etc, Luckily the chain was mega baggy so it didn't bend it too much when it got thrown off.

• Hooli likes this

#2467 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 4,379 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Clever lad? to keep his fingers.

Silly lad to degrease a non O-ring chain.

#2468 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

A lot of companies claim to be a one-stop shop

• Full Members
  • 3,097 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 07:25 PM

This was about an hour after I told him not to use degreaser on it and just wipe the worst of the shit off with a cloth or somert.

• Hooli likes this

#2469 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 4,379 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Look on the bright side, he can ignore your advice while learning how to change a chain n sprockets soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users