The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Guest Hooli

Cut the chain? A splitter isn't expensive and you can use some of them to do the rivet link with.

I have a feeling the front sprocket fixing on the CBs might be a retainer held on with 2 m6 bolts

I've always joined chains with two hammers & removed them with an angle grinder.

Either way, using the back brake & maybe jamming the rear wheel is the best way to get a front sprocket nut off.

post-4427-0-32129000-1500753920_thumb.jpg

I know this might not be strictly Bikeshite but here's my latest acquisition.

I've had a hankering for another Lambretta for quite a while now but I had to sell my DRZ400 first and as we all know, selling secondhand vehicles is fraught with danger from the mouth breathers that lurk on the most popular selling mediums. Mrs Diesel also stipulated NO PROJECTS.

Anyway, after a couple of false horizons on a popular auction site a genuine and normal person actually bought my bike with no hassles what so ever.

I wanted another GP200 but I couldn't afford an Italian one again, so I was all set to buy an Indian model even though it meant a bit of travelling to get one. A family 'event' curtailed any plans I had of GP collection, so I planned a trip to Peterboghorror to have a look at a nice Li125 Special. Family events also kicked that idea in to touch so I was left with a two week old Gumtree advert to take a chance on which was fairly local to me. As luck would have it the seller had just been given the back word, so I went and had a look and bingo.

I have been hammering the overtime lately at work so the figures including the bike sale just about added up although I did have to rob a bit from my inheritance.

I've had to do a bit of fettling but I am mega happy with it and the Mrs loves it. I forgot how much I missed the smell,of 2 stroke. 

Went to look a 1994 900SS's this afternoon and the owner let me take it for a test ride. It was a treat-not massive power, but a nice dollop of torque. Clutch was nice and smooth disengaging,with the reassuring rattle from the air cooled clutch. Brakes were great and the engine,once underway, is mechanically quite with a booming, not too loud, exhaust note. Seat height is low, and this one had rear sets on it which were quite cramped, even for my 29 inch inside leg.

This one wasn't for me, although at the price it will be a good buy for someone.

I've read a lot more about them now, and spoken to a few owners-I'm seriously hunting for one now, although most are miles away, but seeing as I went up to Glasgow from Essex to pick up a bike bought from this very forum, distance is no object in looking for a good one.

Guest Hooli

929 Blade - girls bike them !

( my wife had one for 3 years ) :-)

My ex has had two GSX1400s since 2001 (obviously you need two, like handbags) so they must be girl's bikes too.

On the way out of Towcester today I saw a four wheeled scooter.  It was narrow and as it came towards me I thought it was one of those twin front wheel scooters, then in my rear view mirror saw two wheels at the back with fresh air through the centre as it went over the brow of a hill.  I've seen quads of course, but they are much wider.  This was a new one to me, perhaps one of these:

https://www.quadrovehicles.com/vehicles/quadro-4/

Chain & sprocket kit now fitted, and a short blat home from the unit (in the rain, meh) has revealed that it's absolutely transformed the bike :-)

Very chuffed!

Here are the old bits:

Borked chain:

post-5091-0-31900900-1500837920_thumb.jpg

Utterly borked drive sprocket, the flanks of the teeth have been scored very deeply by the old chain:

post-5091-0-15503800-1500838002_thumb.jpg

Same with the rear sprocket:

post-5091-0-54528100-1500838039_thumb.jpg

Goldie lookin' chain (and you knows it):

post-5091-0-95613800-1500838113_thumb.jpg

Oh gawd... it's the last thing I need in terms of space or unfinished projects, but it looks like I have another bike incoming this evening.

This will at least motivate you to finish one of the others to create space ( or something like that).

I know its probably a bit rich for a lot of folk and not really shite at all but I'm having no joy shifting this elsewhere so does anyone want a cheap street triple R?

I really need to buy a bigger bike for September so this has to go, its a cat d and has a few marks but its over a grand cheaper than a non cat one.

$_86.JPG

£2500 shitters price

Been coaxing my 250 Gamma back into life.

The last time i used it (start of December) I got back home and nearside carb was spewing petrol out the overflow. I parked it and didnt look at it [mainly as the fuel tank has not petcock and the oil tank is integrated and awkward, so it isnt a quick job]. I knew what the problem was: the float valve o rings, which were as hard as concrete the last time i went in there. I ordered a selection box of viton seals in readiness months ago.

Resolved to sort it this week.

[Attempt 1]So yesterday fuel tank drained [usual pita with no petcock], all ancilliaries off, carbs on the bench and stripped. New viton seals and reassembly.

Carbs on test with mini moto tank, no leaks so all good. Reassemble including tank refuel. Bugger, bugger, bugger float bowl leaking.

Tank redrain, all the bits off again.

[Attempt 2]

Carbs back off, leaking bowl removed. Nick in the gasket the cause. Hunt around for a replacement VM28 bowl gasket and find one. Bowl back on with a bit of non-setting petrol-proof goo for good measure.

Fine on test, so all parts and tank refitted refuel (shit load of petrol and 2 stroke oil on garage floor though FFS). Get it running and start tuning to get both cylinders syncronised [i use an IR thermometer and tickle the throttle openings until the downpipes have same temps and it sounds sweet].

Clean up, notice petrol pissing out of carbs from somewhere. FFS, FFS, FFS. Luckily neighbour brought lager for signing their passport in the morning, so stress passed quickly.

Park bike up.

[Attempt 3]

So today got up and determined to sort this (want to MOT this week).

Tank drained and back off, ancillaries off, carbs put on test, used a low pressure pump to help spot the fault: it's the union between the carbs, so a tweak and all the stuff back on. Decide to reroute fuel lines at this point as kinking concerns me.

Finally no leaks and a chance to set it up properly.

Now running on 1 cylinder, but it's classic 2 stroke plug failure: anyone who's run a 2-poke will know what it goes like - the gamma is particularly prone, as one coil runs both plugs, so if one plugs as gone down it will fire the other plug and it's obvious.

New plugs acquired and chuck in.

Got it running nicely now, no leaks, no kinked fuel lines, nicely +/- 5 degree match on the headers. Bike back together.

Front brakes tomorrow, hopefully MOT tomorrow afternoon or thursday. Got to love these things when they are in good health. They go like stink, oh and they do stink too.

That Street Triple is SERIOUS VALU, but I've already had one.  Loved the noise, handling and sequential shift lights, ace!

It is stonking value! and I don't want to sell it but there's no way I can fit myself and my wife plus a weeks worth of kit on it.

It is stonking value! and I don't want to sell it but there's no way I can fit myself and my wife plus a weeks worth of kit on it.

Having just started running insurance quotes for various things on the off chance I pass my test in August, even the bloody insurance seems cheap for them so a ludicrous bargain for someone who has the readies available now.  It's coming up as half the price of a ZX6r / R6 and only a third of the price of Cavcrafts Blade (which nearing 4 figures on insurance puts me out for that, even if someone doesn't buy it first). 

Is there no chance of keeping hold of it and buying an additional bike instead? It's almost philanthropically cheap looking at Ebay.

On the insurance frontFor some reason it is half the price of a ZX6r / R6 and only a third of the price of Cavcrafts Blade (which nearing 4 figures on insurance puts me out for that even if someone doesn't buy it first). Maybe I should be looking a tad more naked.

The busa is taxed. I have booked it in for a service because I have never touched it apart from fuel and a new tyre. I also have braided hoses to go on to firm up the somewhat wooden brakes.

I used to do everything on my gixxer but with having another sprog I really do not have the time.

Guest Hooli

Having just started running insurance quotes for various things on the off chance I pass my test in August, even the bloody insurance seems cheap for them so a ludicrous bargain for someone who has the readies available now.  It's coming up as half the price of a ZX6r / R6 and only a third of the price of Cavcrafts Blade (which nearing 4 figures on insurance puts me out for that, even if someone doesn't buy it first). 

Is there no chance of keeping hold of it and buying an additional bike instead? It's almost philanthropically cheap looking at Ebay.

On the insurance frontFor some reason it is half the price of a ZX6r / R6 and only a third of the price of Cavcrafts Blade (which nearing 4 figures on insurance puts me out for that even if someone doesn't buy it first). Maybe I should be looking a tad more naked.

Naked bikes are a lot cheaper to insure for new riders. For the simple reason if you throw it down the road it's £200 of engine covers & a lever buggered. Do the same on a fully faired spurts bike & it's more like £2,000 for genuine plastics, plus an engine cover & lever....

Guest Hooli

The busa is taxed. I have booked it in for a service because I have never touched it apart from fuel and a new tyre. I also have braided hoses to go on to firm up the somewhat wooden brakes.

I used to do everything on my gixxer but with having another sprog I really do not have the time.

How old are the pads? I've had a few go wooden with age & just not work.

Maybe I should be looking a tad more naked.

I can't afford another bike too, it is very cheap but it seems everyone wants a mint bike these days,it has a plum sized dent in the tank and a few other scuffs and scratches, the plan was to sort all the bits out over winter (prob £300 to make it mint), I'm amazed it hasn't sold, I change bikes every five minutes and I waited months for a street triple to come up at the right price (sub £3k) and every time I'd try to buy one it had been sold already.