The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Multibike policies question.

My classis bike policy with footman james is due for renewing but this year i've made a few changes and its gone up £80 to £250 for 13 bikes and they made a bit of a song and dance about how they don't cover Trials bikes while being used for trials, oddly they never mentioned it for the last 13 years. the newest will be 1988

Its a ball ache giving 13 lots of details ringing round getting quotes, does anybody have any recomendations for other brokers i can give a try.

I'm going to give Peter James a try tomorrow when i've got an hour spare.

TBH I've probably ridden 50 miles in the last 5 years but its nice for everything to be covered in case of fire or theft.

I'm with Carole Nash on a Rider Policy (comp cover). Not sure the difference between that and a Multi Bike policy to be sure it's either the age spread or the number of bikes. I've got 5 bikes insured 1 x 250, 2 x 650 & 2 x 1100. Ages from 1984 to 2003 and values from £1200 to £2500. Policy is supplied by Ageas and costs £319 including tax, brokers fee & legal cover. I'm mid 40's in a reasonable (but not great) postcode, stacks of no claims and only 3 points on licence. Bikes are insured as being in a brick built garage overnight when at home. I also get free(*) euro breakdown cover and (i think) 10,000 miles annual use. By way of comparison my 2002 Honda CRV (2 litre pez) costs about £300 a year comp. 

Guest Hooli

I'm with Carole Nash on a Rider Policy (comp cover). Not sure the difference between that and a Multi Bike policy

From memory when my cover became a rider policy you get fully comp on another other people's bikes you ride up to £15k.

More moped...

The brake rotor got cleaned up. Surprisingly, most of the paint is still attached to this wheel so it ain't getting painted:

post-19532-0-71295900-1500053596_thumb.jpg

Forks cleaned up and painted (again, more for preservation than beauty). The steering head bearings had a bit of play in, but this was adjusted out easily enough:

post-19532-0-00935600-1500053748_thumb.jpg

A good clean up, and a dose of red rubber grease (and some in-and-out action for the pistons) sees the little caliper back in action:

post-19532-0-80559300-1500053859_thumb.jpg

Look at these crusty fuggers. New ones on the way...

post-19532-0-58470000-1500053919_thumb.jpg

It still needs a handlebar top cover, but there's none on eBay (UK, German or Italian), or Bumtree, or anywhere else I can find. Yo, parts finding gurus, got any suggestions (I'm looking at you, Eddie Honda)??

It still needs a handlebar top cover, but there's none on eBay (UK, German or Italian), or Bumtree, or anywhere else I can find. Yo, parts finding gurus, got any suggestions (I'm looking at you, Eddie Honda)??

I may have mistaken your description, but it looks like Lings have something in stock, new, not cheap, and probably not the part you want...

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk?block_01=13GBYWEA&block_02=F__0500&block_03=4515&block_04=xx&block_05=hmc

I love some of Hondas part descriptions - your scoot is fitted with a 'handle pipe' and I know that my Honda bike has a 'rear cushion' rather than a shock absorber.

I may have mistaken your description, but it looks like Lings have something in stock, new, not cheap, and probably not the part you want...

No, you're spot on, and that is the very part, cheers. Nice to know it's there if I can't get a (preferably wrong coloured) 2nd hand one!

Bodge something else on?

As you might expect, the thought of bodgery had crossed my mind already... trouble is that the headlamp is secured to the bike by screws into the missing panel, which in turn is screwed to the other half of the handlebar cover, so cobbling up a different headset would probably result in problems aligning the mighty* beam.

There are loads of every other panel fitted to this model up for grabs on eBay, surely one will turn up before too long...

EDIT: New EBC pads on the way - £3.50 delivered!

Guest Hooli

Anyone recommend place to do valve clearances on cb500f 13 plate manc/ Cheshire area?

Ta

Your own garage?

Taking the cam cover off & slipping feeler gauges in is simple. You just need to do them in the right order, which would be easily found online, only worry about a garage if you know they need adjusting.

I'm assuming they are bucket & shim?

Just an hour on the rank moped today - thought I'd check that the electrics work. And they all did, bar the indicators.

The relay had rusted solid, so one from the electrical gubbins box got thrown on... still nothing. Then the switch was unplugged, and a headlight switch temporarily bodged on in place:

post-19532-0-90197100-1500142128_thumb.jpg

That worked, so I'll see if the switch can be opened up and cleaned. I might even have to buy another one :shock:

I covered 240 miles on my CBX750F during yesterday's Lake District trip, not entirely without incident.

The chain has got a tight spot, resulting in a nasty grinding / clicking noise, especially at at low speeds. I ordered a new DID chain and sprockets this morning... £112, ouch!

There's a blow on the exhaust where the downpipes join the collector, I'll have to get some exhaust putty in there.

Also, I need to investigate why the hydraulic clutch is only operating when the lever is pulled almost all the way to the bar... there's no sign of a fluid leak so it's a bit of a head-scratcher at the moment.

Other than that, though, the bike behaved pretty well :-)

post-5091-0-60843700-1500286068_thumb.jpg

twosmoke300, on 17 Jul 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

Some hyd clutch systems can leak internally into the engine - Ktms are good at this !

That sounds like a total PITA :-(

I've got an OEM manual for the bike, I'll have a look to see how the clutch system is put together.

Hooli, on 17 Jul 2017 - 1:14 PM, said:

Ouch on the chain, I got a complete set for £88 for my 14 last winter.

Bled the clutch lately?

Ha! Maybe the prices go up in summer :-(

Nope, I've never had to do anything with the clutch before, it's just worked.

How would it get air in the system??

Guest Hooli

Might not be air. The fluid absorbs water over time & goes 'soft' so it compresses rather than works the clutch. Engine heat makes it happen quicker too, I have to bleed the clutch on my 14 every year as the lever creeps back due to that.

Might not be air. The fluid absorbs water over time & goes 'soft' so it compresses rather than works the clutch. Engine heat makes it happen quicker too, I have to bleed the clutch on my 14 every year as the lever creeps back due to that.

Ahhh, OK. I'll try bleeding it, then :-)

Are you sure it was 'merge in a turn' and not 'merge in turn'?   As for which option, I would have looked for 'when exiting a filter lane' or  possibly option 1 if the traffic was heavy and speeds <30mph on the motorway.  Merging slowly when everyone  else is hacking along at 70mph is just asking for trouble, though I've seen many drivers do it, even stopping at the end of the acceleration lane and then requiring a 0 - 70mph standing start.

Guest Hooli

I'd say 1) on the theory test too. They are trying to get people to understand the reason they put cones where they do is THAT is where you need to stop using that lane, not 15miles back.