The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

A late afternoon session on the Pavement Pizza moped.

So the fuseholders did arrive and I cut off the fusebox, replacing it with this arrangement - result!

post-19532-0-13377600-1499199271_thumb.jpg

With the seized rear brake jammed on, the starter turned over - no signs of life, though. Big fat spark, plenty of compression; fuel then?

Off came the carb, the float bowl was full of 2-stroke oil that had wept into the carb over the years!

post-19532-0-25363300-1499199351_thumb.jpg

A quick clean-up later, and it fired up and ran, albeit briefly. Then the starter motor burned out... anyway, now I know it runs I don't mind spending a quid or two on it. A new Taiwanese starter has been ordered (£23 delivered) and a second-hand headlamp scored for a tenner. I just need the front handlebar panel now.

Oh, and before I sacked it off for the evening, I stripped and cleaned up the rear brake, freed the seized pivot and lubed it up before putting it all back together. Hopefully most of the fixing up represents graft on my part, as opposed to forking out £££, so hopefully this should be a fairly cheap resurrection!

I'm sure you got a job as a product developer with Honda, please take this CB500 and clock up as many miles as you can seeing what breaks or wears out and we will pay you as well.

An old mate of mine sort of had that job except he worked for Castrol and the CB500 was of the late seventies variety.

Did those CB500s (the twins) had odd valve springs ? Torsion rather than spring ?

I'm sure you got a job as a product developer with Honda, please take this CB500 and clock up as many miles as you can seeing what breaks or wears out and we will pay you as well.

Bike bought 18700 mls easter 16

Done 37800 ish as of earlier

The time mileage thing was 18 months 25k on a new cb900f in 2003 pxed fir a pan

Down thru danish tomorrow

Goodbye Norway the last 4 .5 hours have been a pain in the arse

Boat has four engines but it's running on 3

Shoulda left at 2015 now leaving at 2320

Would t get to hirshals till 0230 they say it's supposed to take two hours

Spoke to motel they say they leave key on table in foyer

I kinda hope so as there's nowhere else open and a ride to frederikshavn itherwise

post-4817-0-82731700-1499463363_thumb.jpg

Pavement Pizza delivery bike update...

The new starter motor arrived, was fitted and - after a bit of coughing and farting - the heap ran like a good 'un (on that basis I think UW wins the sweep).

post-19532-0-11688500-1499465393_thumb.jpg

Nope, I can't see anything wrong with that either! The exposed bits of the frame got some (very gloopy) Zinc 182 lashed over it, followed by a dose of some black rattle can or other that I had lying around. Not pretty, but you'll never see it, and as long as it keeps the rust off - who cares?

post-19532-0-52680400-1499465547_thumb.jpg

The camera went flat at this point, so to briefly summarise...

• shit rusty swingarm was wire brushed and sprayed up
  • crusty old shocks refurbished (well OK, the damper rod was masked with an old sock and they got sprayed satin black
  • rear wheel removed and wire brushed ready for re-painting
  • switchgear cleaned and lubricated - most of it works now!!!!!1!
  • zorst got wire brushed and sprayed up with VHT

More soon!