The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

How are NS125Rs pricewise? A few mates had them at the time, but I could see me with one nowadays. Thankfully I'm still fairly 'compact' if not as light as I was at seventeen...!

Don't know for sure but if the prices are remotely like anything else from the era then they'll be pretty high I'd have thought as they weren't that common compared to the RD, AR, DT & KMX125's were plus learner abuse thinned all their numbers of course!

The restricted one was rather crap IIRC - not as good as say a RD125LC or a AR125, but the full power affair (as owned by a neighbour of mine at the time) was silly quick for a 125. 

^^ Don't know why, the TZR is another excellent little bike, easy to derestrict too and the motor is pretty tough like it's RD125LC predecessor. 

The 250 is great too but rather cramped for a six footer like me. 

Remember there being a lot of hype around the JDM Teaser 250s, with the reverse cylinders and such. Same with the 250 four stroke fours and their mega rev limits.

I knew a guy with a KR1-S who seemed to have the engine apart every other week, and a guy with an RGV250 who suffered regular 'nipping up'. I nearly nicked the damn thing off him: we were engineering students at the time, and fannybaws wouldn't strip the fucker because it was under warranty, and his parents bought him it...!

I agree with the kr1s - friend of mine has had one for about 15 years and it's seriously quick - measured 67.7 hp on the dyno at Gt motorcycles but seems to spend half the time in pieces .

Try to get 67.7hp out of a KR1S and you'll do it for about ten minutes. The standard was about 50hp, after all. Add to that the nickel-plated cylinders which became nickel-unplated cylinders in about ten minutes (or as long as it takes to blow up a tuned one) and a chassis that tried to tank-slap you to death and hey, it's an ideal bike.

He used to get a right strop on when I used to kick his ass on track days with my sv650s

I used to do the same to quite a few people on my Bros 650.

Then again, it had a revalved CBR600 front end & wheel, VFR750 back end & wheel, a Blade shock and a 115dB Supertrapp exhaust. Oh, and just-about-road-legal sticky tyres. Slow on the straights but you didn't have to brake very much for corners ............

Remember there being a lot of hype around the JDM Teaser 250s, with the reverse cylinders and such. Same with the 250 four stroke fours and their mega rev limits.

I knew a guy with a KR1-S who seemed to have the engine apart every other week, and a guy with an RGV250 who suffered regular 'nipping up'. I nearly nicked the damn thing off him: we were engineering students at the time, and fannybaws wouldn't strip the fucker because it was under warranty, and his parents bought him it...!

Oh god, wasn't there but! A real pissing contest I recall, reverse cylinder this, SP that & so on. Never rode a grey version, liked the normal UK version (esp in blue) and considered replacing my YPVS350 with one but the latter was just nicer to ride even if it didn't have the better brakes and suspension of the TZR,. 

The KR1-S was pretty renowned for destroying it's top end from what I read, never knew anyone with one though. 

The RGV was another fragile engined bike, shame as they handled beautifully but were no good for anyone over 5'9" (lets me out) and ten stone (ie: built for jap teens really). A so-proportioned mate had one for years as a fun bike and though careful, he still seemed to always be fixing/rebuilding the motor. I loved riding it but only for less than 20 miles! He eventually bought an LC like mine.

The original Gamma - RG250 was a parallel twin not a V-twin and had a better reputation but its been decades since I saw one. 

I think iirc, that the guy with the KR1-S used to replace the rings and major gaskets pretty regularly, which is where I got the impression it was apart every other week! His was Dynojetted with hotter reeds, so I think he was paranoid about it stripping the Nikasil off as LBC mentioned. Even with the expensive Motul oil in it. But then, plenty of other engines have suffered that fate too.

I remember all the trick Japanese market 250's being imported back in the 90's. The NSR250SP looked amazing and had a credit card instead of an ignition key. Think they were all restricted to 45bhp though so not as quick as the less exotic UK stuff. Seem to remember the Reverse Cylinder TZR's had a terrible reputation for reliability?!

I always thought some of the 'problems' with JDM grays were due to people not waiting for the correct parts from Japan, and adapting white model parts. Some stuff was interchangeable, some really wasn't. Highly strung strokers will find out for you...

Then there was the NS400R, which often gets forgotten, that was a weird little thing with its sort of V3 engine...

The NS400 (it was a V3 stroker) was an officially imported bike for a while - not a grey. It was seen as the natural competitor for the RD500LC & the RG500. Think it was very expensive for what it was so they didn't sell many. Seem to recall it had a weird exhaust note.

The problem with JDM/greys was more lack of understanding and ability to fix tuned two-strokes properly as well as parts issues. Many folk thought they were ace bike mechs because they once de-coked their Fizzie or put new clutch plates in a GP100, they couldn't or wouldn't differentiate between simple and complex motors.

Back in the day there was a real bodge-it mentality with motorcycles that I personally hated (& still do) - if you can't or won't do it properly and don't want to pay someone to do it then either leave it alone or don't bitch about it when it blows on you. 

Sorry if this sounds all rather sanctimonious but makes me think of the time I've wasted putting right such bodges inflicted by clowns who ought not to be allowed near tools (or prob. out in public). 

Definitely agree, there were a few bodge merchants making £££s off the back of the grey craze without much regard for quality. As my KR1-S obsessive acquaintance did, you had to treat serious work on these things like brain surgery. I did think that was why so many vanished: they're in sheds in bits awaiting fixing.

On the upside, the grey craze gave us lovely simple stuff like the Honda GB250 that I never understood why it wasn't sold here. Some of the weird 'tektro' stuff I could leave quite happily, but at least it was different.

'Tektro' - now there's a word I haven't heard for many, many years!!!! (might go home tonight and dig out a few old 'Grey Bike' magazines that I still have).

I think they didn't sell the GB250 and the like here officially because the great and the good at the importers didn't fell there was a market for them here. Even back then the 250 market was pretty small. The GB was a nice looking bike (never rode one myself), they sold a similar 500 version though but I can't recall what it was called (keep thinking FT500 but it wasn't that PoS) & there were quite alot of those about back then. 

The NS400 (it was a V3 stroker) was an officially imported bike for a while - not a grey. It was seen as the natural competitor for the RD500LC & the RG500. Think it was very expensive for what it was so they didn't sell many. Seem to recall it had a weird exhaust note.

The problem with JDM/greys was more lack of understanding and ability to fix tuned two-strokes properly as well as parts issues. Many folk thought they were ace bike mechs because they once de-coked their Fizzie or put new clutch plates in a GP100, they couldn't or wouldn't differentiate between simple and complex motors.

Back in the day there was a real bodge-it mentality with motorcycles that I personally hated (& still do) - if you can't or won't do it properly and don't want to pay someone to do it then either leave it alone or don't bitch about it when it blows on you. 

Sorry if this sounds all rather sanctimonious but makes me think of the time I've wasted putting right such bodges inflicted by clowns who ought not to be allowed near tools (or prob. out in public).

The NS400 also did about 12-16mpg which is far from ideal with a target market of cash strapped early 20 yr olds. My KR1S and RDs were hardly frugal but managed double that usually.

I think I've got almost all the Grey Bikes in my collection of shite. Not sure when it petered out...when Odgie smoked it maybe?

Twas a good read though, as were quite a few bike mags then. Pity they turned into lad/lifestyle mags and lost the humour. I'm looking at you, Performance Bikes...

That battery was a brand new £50 AGM jobbie, it's the right one for the bike but it looks tiny to me and the alarm flattens it after 2-3 days.

I never had a problem bumping it as I live up a hill, you're probably best to disconnect it, or get the alarm removed.

The latest episode of my never ending compulsion to buy more shite: more 90s sportsbikes. 

Obviously I've still got that bandit at the back of the garage but I'm thinking once it's shifted I will get another sportsbike, maybe a 600 as the 'blade was just a tad scary at times for a big wuss like me.

I'm looking for something in full SPEARS OR REEPERES condition and will spend a good while cleaning and painting and whatnot, maybe getting it on the road in a year or 2.

Candidates:

CBR600 - preferably an F2 for radial tyres, slightly more power and better looks, but this jellymould is winking at me something chronic, has already been through once at £200 and not sold.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172687736421?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ZZR600 - these see to be very cheap / underrated, although I find myself more drawn to Hondas for reasons I can't explain.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Zzr600-/122502628999?hash=item1c85b9c687%3Ag%3AXJ0AAOSwPh5ZHYbw&nma=true&si=5e0EBW8eXlLOCwK4z4e6OTnMTVw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

VFR750 - had an early one before, sold it for MOAR SPEEDS with the Fireblade, but actually fancy another, with a single sided swingarm. More broken than this one, obvs.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VFR-750-/112416753856?hash=item1a2c8f88c0:g:pvsAAOSwblZZJDN-

CBR1000 - Probably a bit big and wallowy but can't argue with the VAL-U.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR1000FJ-1989-/232347999992?hash=item3619051ef8:g:hc4AAOSwB-1Y68Pa

Any thoughts? It's likely to be a straight choice between the CBR and ZZR to be honest. The vibe I'm going for is 600 sports weapon circa 1994, although I am 6 foot 2 and huskily built and found the blade a bit uncomfortable for stints of over an hour.

I've owned them all at one point or another, apart from the CBR1000, but have ridden one a lot. I have the anti Honda, owned them but never quite "liked" them, even the VFR750, mine was an FT,1996 in very good nick but meh.. did nothing for me. Had 3 ZZR600's and a ZZR1100,as well as a ZZR400, and looking for another so you can see where my preference is, and I'm 6ft4. Although I fancy trying a Triumph.

Had an 87 TZR125 way back,full power too, but my mates ns125f pissed on it top end, looked better too in Rothmans colours. Maybe thats why I don't like Honda's

The NS400 also did about 12-16mpg which is far from ideal with a target market of cash strapped early 20 yr olds. My KR1S and RDs were hardly frugal but managed double that usually.

I got 20+mpg out of one at, ahem, speeds, so I suspect yours was fucked!

Guest Hooli

Nickasil is murdered by the high sulphur fuel we had in the 90s. BMW 2.8s were victims to this

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

So did X300 Jags.

I think I've got almost all the Grey Bikes in my collection of shite. Not sure when it petered out...when Odgie smoked it maybe?

Twas a good read though, as were quite a few bike mags then. Pity they turned into lad/lifestyle mags and lost the humour. I'm looking at you, Performance Bikes...

I think the last one I have is about 1996 (at work so can't check) but didn't buy them all, may have gone on to 97. Don't know exactly why the mag stopped maybe was due to the exchange rate £ vs Yen dropped as I recall that it was often repeated that below about 170:1 or so it wasn't worth the bother importing etc from Japan due to purchase price/shipping/sorting etc. meant there was no profit in it so the grey bike thing kind of blew itself out? 

Also the grey market did seem to spawn a good many cowboy/fly-by-night outfits who bought container loads of tat/crash damaged shite and fixed (bodged more like) & punted them quick to unsuspecting newbies. There were several in my old neck of the woods back in the day. This really damaged the reputation of greys IMO so people became scared of them to a degree.

What happened to Odgie? Is he still about? From the way he wrote, he always struck me as someone really enthusiastic and genuine about bikes, don't know if that was the reality but it seemed that way to me. 

'Tektro' - now there's a word I haven't heard for many, many years!!!! (might go home tonight and dig out a few old 'Grey Bike' magazines that I still have).

I think they didn't sell the GB250 and the like here officially because the great and the good at the importers didn't fell there was a market for them here. Even back then the 250 market was pretty small. The GB was a nice looking bike (never rode one myself), they sold a similar 500 version though but I can't recall what it was called (keep thinking FT500 but it wasn't that PoS) & there were quite alot of those about back then.

GB500 was based on the XBR500. Both had the same excellent RFVC engine.

My XBR stayed in one piece despite a 626cc overbore and mucho thrashing :)

What happened to Odgie? Is he still about? From the way he wrote, he always struck me as someone really enthusiastic and genuine about bikes, don't know if that was the reality but it seemed that way to me.

Odgie is still around. He still writes for 100% Biker now. He writes up his project builds for them. Nice bloke and genuine.

In a very brief foray into writing I tested a Honda CB400 Super Four for Grey Bike, my only published work lol. I can't remember the year, I've not got a copy anymore.

One's too many, ten's not enough!