The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Yes they do - the Africa Twin, the NC750S and NC750X are available with DCT gearboxes (dual clutch, 6 speeds, automatic gear changing, not a slushmatic) which are well regarded amongst the journo's. I understand that it will become available on other models in the future.

Given an increasing number of bikes (or almost all if you happen to read a discarded copy Performance Bike found somewhere) come with quick shifters and auto blippers, is the added complexity of DCT likely to catch on? I know that doesn't make a bike an auto, but eliminating the clutch from the majority of gear changes whilst keeping it there for low speed control seems a decent compromise that would suit a lot of people?

Last 650 Kat I knew of was a real mutt. Made of bits of various GSs, but the owner professed his hate for shaft drive, so he stuck with the Kat rather than the GT.

I was always tickled by the 750 Kat S3 and its pop up headlight. In fact, I liked how Suzuki would do random stuff like that. To wit, the GSX1100 with the power screen. An acquaintance bought one new and amused himself for hours with his power window. Big hefty fat bastard too. Him and the bike. Surprisingly quick!

Does not compute - the 650 Kat was also shaft drive... :-)

Given an increasing number of bikes (or almost all if you happen to read a discarded copy Performance Bike found somewhere) come with quick shifters and auto blippers, is the added complexity of DCT likely to catch on? I know that doesn't make a bike an auto, but eliminating the clutch from the majority of gear changes whilst keeping it there for low speed control seems a decent compromise that would suit a lot of people?

I wouldn't touch an automatic bike, or an automatic car for that matter... IMO part of the fun of vehicles is getting the gearchanges right.

But each to their own, I suppose.

Guest Breadvan72

I wouldn't touch an automatic bike, or an automatic car for that matter... IMO part of the fun of vehicles is getting the gearchanges right.

But each to their own, I suppose.

I want to agree on all points.  Having said that, I have over the years succumbed to two old automatic cars, because they are cars that are autos by their nature -  an Interceptor and an XJS, and those have good autoboxes that suit the cars.  I also settled for a boring and not very good autobox in my boring modern, because that was what was available at the price, and the car is just a dull shed anyway, and not really a car. 

Also, I have tried a modern 8-speed flippy auto, and have to say that it is quite a long way away from the dire 3 and 4 speed autos of yore.  I still don't want one though.

Me: Honda H100SD > various bikes of increasing size/cc, despatch rider, crashes, commuter > nine year break > BMW R1100RT last nine months.

Bro: Honda H100SG > fell off avoiding Volvo > didn't ride for twenty years > Honda Little Cub 50 last three years.

Was riding round the front yard the other week showing how piss-easy it is to manoeuvre a lardy RT dead slow and at full lock. All down to balance/clutch control/rear brake. Did the same again with s-i-l (Mrs BroHonda#2) riding pillion. Nae probs. Then Bro Honda wants a shot. Manages a couple of circles, but then loses balance and drops the bike onto the left pot. I end up having to pick it up as bro is a weedy pigeon. He didn't call me Susan.

Luckily no damaged caused.

Next up was the 306. Even though he hasn't driven a car AFAIK for about 25 years, he managed not to stick it into any walls/other vehicles in the drive.

I suggests he buys a Honda Chappy (like former s-i-l (Mrs BroHonda#1) had, and she was a Rollers fan)

7fdba383cffc7a9d52d737c65e2ffe4e.jpg

Must've got my wires crossed, it's been a while! Some of the GS650s had chain drive, which ones though?

Can't find a pic of my GS550 from way back when. Painted Vauxhall Silk Violet from rattlecans, sporting most of a Harris exhaust! It was good for a twenty yarder, and sounded well too.

I'm not even going to price them either...!

CreepingJesus, on 18 May 2017 - 4:36 PM, said:

Must've got my wires crossed, it's been a while! Some of the GS650s had chain drive, which ones though?

Can't find a pic of my GS550 from way back when. Painted Vauxhall Silk Violet from rattlecans, sporting most of a Harris exhaust! It was good for a twenty yarder, and sounded well too.

I'm not even going to price them either...!

The only four-cylinder Suzuki 650 of that era that had chain drive was the XN85 as far as I know...

I am off to Tesco in a pick up truck, cheers!

Leave some for those of us who will only get a chance tomorrow afternoon! Depending on if I find any I might end up having to ride 2 strokes for the rest of my biking career just to use it up.

RE automatics, I'm a proper horses for courses person, I wouldn't want an automatic Hot Hatch, I also wouldn't want a manual luxo barge, it all depends on the application imo. Given motorbikes have gears, anything else is a scooter, just thinking about it would threaten my masculinity so much I'd have to over compensate and go for an even 'manlier' type of shift.

a5688e4014fedeb40d4ad5606f20c93e.jpg

There's loads of that Tesco 2 stroke, people have been posting about it for months on vespa forums. I thought I'd missed out but my local garage just got loads more in.

Also, they didn't change the price label on the shelves (it still said £14 or something), so make sure and ask at the till of it looks like it's full price.

There's a more expensive fully synthetic castrol that isn't reduced that looks similar too.

There's loads of that Tesco 2 stroke, people have been posting about it for months on vespa forums. I thought I'd missed out but my local garage just got loads more in.

Also, they didn't change the price label on the shelves (it still said £14 or something), so make sure and ask at the till of it looks like it's full price.

There's a more expensive fully synthetic castrol that isn't reduced that looks similar too.

Woe is me, just an empty shelf in Stevenage unfortunately. I suppose living in a town where mopeds are allowed on the cycle paths means we must have pretty high demand.

When do people usually buy their 2 stroke oil? It seems mad that they only castrol sell by the litre and a quick search online beats halfords by as much as hoped.

Woe is me, just an empty shelf in Stevenage unfortunately. I suppose living in a town where mopeds are allowed on the cycle paths means we must have pretty high demand.

When do people usually buy their 2 stroke oil? It seems mad that they only castrol sell by the litre and a quick search online beats halfords by as much as hoped.

They definitely re-stocked the one by my work!

A litre lasts flippin ages in my LML. I put a litre in it in January and I'm still going now, riding for approx 10 hours every week. Hence I don't worry too much about how much it costs or what size..

They definitely re-stocked the one by my work!

A litre lasts flippin ages in my LML. I put a litre in it in January and I'm still going now, riding for approx 10 hours every week. Hence I don't worry too much about how much it costs or what size..

To be fair I reckon doing the max mileage I have the bike insured for using castrol would cost less than 30 quid a year so hardly a big expenditure in teh cost of running something, 11 quid for a litre just seems a rip off and I'm tight.

Good luck with the Gileria, there will definitely be some wiggle room in the price, it does look like a lovely bike. Do you have a bike trailer / van to shift it about and mot it before you register it?

Guest Breadvan72

I just messaged those unit 5 motorcycle dudes about the Gilera KK125 and they inform me that they'll have their premium shite for sale here on Saturday:

http://www.kemptonparkautojumble.co.uk

So that's where I'll be.

That Gilera is the NUTZ. Please buy it, ride it like a nutter, and then please sell it to me in a year or two.  I am skinted oot right now.

A Eurofox. I'll start a new aeroshite thread and stop clogging up bikeshite!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ah, one of those, I'd read there were a couple converted/approved for glider tug use in the LAA mag. Got V.good reviews and alot cheaper on gas than typical tugs such as the Supercub etc. which one or two clubs had replaced it with. 

I'd love an RG500, could never afford one though. From what I heard from an owner, the scariest bit was the fuel they go through!

:-D Yes, I've heard figures of 20mpg if you're lucky and riding like your granny. 

My lasting memory of these things was the one I saw coming in the opposite direction to me on the old A20 as I was driving to college one day (circa 1985) - it pulled out from a side turning up ahead, did one upshift, then sat it on the back wheel and carried on until well past me. All in a haze of 2-stroke. 

Silly? Probably, Dangerous? Maybe, Impressive? Definately! (Esp. as I'm utterly shite at wheelies - just can't do 'em so gave up trying) I still see it in my mind as if it were yesterday.