The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Where does everyone go for bike tyres? I presume being autoshite everyone is manly and changes them themselves, for the wussier amongst us is there a recommended website that'll deliver including fitting like black circles do for cars?

The back story is the first place shrugged their shoulders and said nothing will fit, find some yourself and we'll do it for 40 quid off the bike they also had an impressively sniffy attitude not just telling me 'I don't ride a 125 so won't recommend a brand, if you were riding a proper sportsbike I'd be able to help' given the fact they flog chinese 125's themselves I imagine the customer service when it falls apart 300 miles from new must be interesting.

So I did price some stuff up off the suggested sites, but before ordering I walked into a local backstreet tyre place after the came up when I was googling places to get the tyres ordered fitted and the result is a pair of fitted tyres on a ride in ride out service for the same as I could have ordered and had fitted at a 'real bike place'. They were happy to spend a while looking at different patterns etc... Happy to chat bikes, like 99% of people I've met since getting the TDR. I'm chuffed with some good service and will definitely be heading back there in a few weeks as a couple of tyres on the focus are wearing down.

Guest Hooli

The back story is the first place shrugged their shoulders and said nothing will fit, find some yourself and we'll do it for 40 quid off the bike they also had an impressively sniffy attitude not just telling me 'I don't ride a 125 so won't recommend a brand, if you were riding a proper sportsbike I'd be able to help' given the fact they flog chinese 125's themselves I imagine the customer service when it falls apart 300 miles from new must be interesting.

So I did price some stuff up off the suggested sites, but before ordering I walked into a local backstreet tyre place after the came up when I was googling places to get the tyres ordered fitted and the result is a pair of fitted tyres on a ride in ride out service for the same as I could have ordered and had fitted at a 'real bike place'. They were happy to spend a while looking at different patterns etc... Happy to chat bikes, like 99% of people I've met since getting the TDR. I'm chuffed with some good service and will definitely be heading back there in a few weeks as a couple of tyres on the focus are wearing down.

The MOT place I use, which used to be my local garage, does tyres & as the owner collects Ducatis & the tyre bloke rides a Yam summink I go there. Might be £5 more a pair than the other bike tyre place in town, but I trust 'em & they don't damage 'owt.

Dad taught me to change bike tyres when I was 15/16, I've fitted them myself ever since ;-)

all round plasticvandan's next time ;)

If I ever change them on this again I'll be looking at doing it myself, it doesn't look 'that' hard. At least not with only a 140 on the back. That being said compared to the price I could have got them delivered it only cost me 20 quid more for zero hassle, at the time I booked it the weather was lovely so I was thinking that would get me an extra day or two riding rather than faffing, ho hum.

I point blank refuse budgets on my car, so all I wanted was something 'branded' and was happy to get the same as was already on it, basically I'm not trying to cheapskate so I couldn't understand why they didn't want to make a sale.

The MOT place I use, which used to be my local garage, does tyres & as the owner collects Ducatis & the tyre bloke rides a Yam summink I go there. Might be £5 more a pair than the other bike tyre place in town, but I trust 'em & they don't damage 'owt.

Aye can't beat trust when it comes to garages, it really is priceless imo.

Re: the tyre chat above

I have just received a press release from the BMF regarding Avon Road Rider tyres and their use with inner tubes. These tyres had a plastic label stuck inside them; the edges of this label can peel and rub against the inner tube wearing a hole in it with the obvious result. The labels were no longer used after August 2016. So, if you have an Avon Road Rider from before August 2016 fitted to a wheel with an inner tube they suggest you remove the tyre, peel off the label and check the tube for damage. Avon have produced this video regarding tyre fitting...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW1XqobJlwc

The problem was partially blamed on tyre fitters who should remove all internal labels if fitting them to a wheel with a tube - but because many fitters rarely encounter an inner tube these days they may not be aware of this requirement.

Could be worth checking any make of tyre if you have an inner tube fitted.

Jurby Junk (at Jurby airfield) is a big house clearance type junk shop and a bit of a local institution so is surely a must for a shitter. Normally there is something like supermoto racing on one day at the airfield so makes a trip there all the better. The Purple Helmets C90 stunt show is legendary and absolutely not to be missed if you've never seen it before.  

Guest Hooli

Talking of bikeshite, bodgery level expert achieved!

Where I redrilled the hole for one of the bleed nipples on the rear calliper after it snapped I drilled too deep. I ruined the seat the bleed nipple seals to so I couldn't get a working rear brake. Solved it though, I've cut down a normal bolt & wanged that in instead.

The bleeding process is more interesting now, first take the calliper off the bike & hold it with that bolt uppermost. Then take the bolt out & wait 15secs or so for the brake fluid to work through & fill the bolt hole. Refit the bolt & that's that side of the calliper bled. Refit it & bleed the other side as normal.

It makes it more of a real bike considering the factory manual for bleeding rear disc brakes on Bonnie's starts off with 'remove the calliper & turn it over so the nipple is uppermost'.

Stolen bike heads-up... a mate's bike has been pinched from outside the Junction pub in Baildon, West Yorkshire BD17.

The bike in question is a Yamaha XVS 950 cruiser, registration number CP12 RVB.

Chances are it's already been stripped for parts, but please keep an eye out for any sign of it if you're in the area.

Thanks!

Where I redrilled the hole for one of the bleed nipples on the rear calliper after it snapped I drilled too deep. I ruined the seat the bleed nipple seals to so I couldn't get a working rear brake. Solved it though, I've cut down a normal bolt & wanged that in instead.

The bleeding process is more interesting now, first take the calliper off the bike & hold it with that bolt uppermost. Then take the bolt out & wait 15secs or so for the brake fluid to work through & fill the bolt hole. Refit the bolt & that's that side of the calliper bled. Refit it & bleed the other side as normal.

It makes it more of a real bike considering the factory manual for bleeding rear disc brakes on Bonnie's starts off with 'remove the calliper & turn it over so the nipple is uppermost'.

A small ball bearing down the hole makes a better seal on broken bleed nipple holes

Guest Hooli

A small ball bearing down the hole makes a better seal on broken bleed nipple holes

That's a good idea, if I find any the right sorta size laying about (must be some somewhere) I'll drop one in.

The more "professional" solution to this is to drop a ball bearing into the hole before you screw the normal bolt in. The ball will self center on what is now the seat and guarantee* a good seal. If you then drill a 1.5mm hole up the center of your normal bolt you have effectively re-invented the bleed nipple and can bleed the brake as you normally would.

I call this "professional" as the person who told me about it was making a living repairing bikes at the time.............

Edit.... beaten to it by twosmoke300. Must read whole thread before answering - my bad.

post-5762-0-41304400-1493541033_thumb.jpgpost-5762-0-72314800-1493541082_thumb.jpg

Last weekends fleet movements......

My old (much battered and modified) Honda Dominator needed to be moved down to my rented lockup. I've got no use for it this year and need the space at the house for other projects just now. I'd never think of selling it as it's taken me from Scotland to Spain 4 times and its turquoise frame and multiple shades of red bodywork are just so autoshite. As it's going into long term storage I didn't want to leave any fuel in the tank so rigged up a lawnmower tank to power the bike on the 1 mile journey to the lockup. Although Insured it's MOT is expired and it's on SORN so my arse was twitching like a rabbits nose when I rode past a Police car. Thankfully it was facing me so no camera pointing at my number plate and no hot-pursuit was attempted by the boys in blue so all was well. 

Next fleet shuffelage takes place in a couple of weeks when I bring my aircooled GPz back from my mates house 70 miles away. Has to happen soon as the MOT expires in 6 weeks and as it's getting a new frame (see previous post) it won't be getting MOT'd again until it's rebuilt.

Last Sunday I collected a bike that has the most informative dash I have ever had (4 or two wheels).

post-19526-0-05992200-1493547686_thumb.jpg

Rode it back to Essex from the Welsh border and no aches or pains-the seat is one of the most comfortable I have had.

post-19526-0-84318100-1493547791_thumb.jpg

Now need to gind homes for two bikes that I find uncomfortable after just 45 minutes (I'm not suited to the upright seating position). The 1994 Harley (with lots of engine mods) is £4k to a hipster type

post-19526-0-65239300-1493547994_thumb.jpg

The 2002 Bandit (with recently rebuilt carbs) is offered at a shiter discount price of £900

post-19526-0-08304100-1493548424_thumb.jpg