The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

I suppose it's a daft question now, because having read my FJ letter in the other thread, it states: "We have approached a single insurer for this product".

Suggests to me while the put together a custom package, they do so through a single insurer. It has changed over the years though. It's been Ageas for a few years, but I'm sure others have underwriters such as Equity Red Star.

I suppose it's a daft question now, because having read my FJ letter in the other thread, it states: "We have approached a single insurer for this product".

Suggests to me while the put together a custom package, they do so through a single insurer. It has changed over the years though. It's been Ageas for a few years, but I'm sure others have underwriters such as Equity Red Star.

I think my FJ classic multicar policy was underwritten by Aon when I first got my policy (7 or 8 years ago?), but FJ have generally been good at ensuring I've got the same or better cover each time a renewal is due.

That's why I spat my dummy so badly with this morning's renewal letter, it was out of character for them :-D

Aon rings a bell.

Mine used to be 98 quid at the start (2003/4?) and there were a couple of years of blips - crept up to £106, then a jump to £125 followed by a big jump to £167. I did try phoning around at that point, but one call to another "name" took me some time to reel off 5 vehicle's details and then I had to wait until the following day for an answer that was considerably more expensive kept me from leaving. Increases have now slowed to a drip, but I don't expect that to last.

Its wider that it is tall!

post-17021-0-28132800-1434917864.png

(For the first pic ;))

ERIC_MONSTER_HALL_MONSTER%2BCASH-215304.

Eric's been on the blower and he's not happy: "Suzuki? A Monster? The only real monster Monster is the Ducati! Now where's my monster fee?"

Just discovered that its a Suzuki Intruder M1800R

Its bloody massive,so long,steering lock is total crap as well which doesnt help.

Weighs 347kg

Seems that has the biggest cylinder bore size (112mm) of any current production bike; and produces a claimed 118ftlb of torque,

Does sound nice though.

Think I heard something like that, think it was an LC or X7 with one barrel,head and rod removed and a blanking plate fixed over the crankcase, but I may well be wrong..

I passed my test in 1976 on a Honda SS50 moped. I removed all the pedal assembly (did you ever try to pedal an SS50, or a Fizzie, or an AP50, etc.? Ridiculous) and bolted on a set of footrests from a C50 (same engine casings) so it was a motorbike. Went out and bought a Honda Goldwing the next day (OBJ 383P where are you?).

Some mates at college did a similar thing in the 80's, one had a Kawa AR50, the other a Honda MBX50, as both bikes had virtually identical 80cc variants, they bought/borrowed/aquired '80' sidepanels for both. They fitted them and put L-plates back on - as both had passed their car tests already - in order to take their full bike test (group D in those days).

It worked in both cases although I thought Tony (the AR50 owner) was lucky no-one asked questions as the bike was green but the sidepanels were red! Anyway, I guess people asked less questions in those days! 

I was going to do a similar thing myself with maybe a C50 to do my bike test (which was going to be transformed into a C90 using the above method!) but found a GP100 v.cheap instead to save me the bother. 

Boring anorak fact No. 945:

To convert a restricted (not like your pedal-equiped SS50 Jerzy) moped into a motorcycle thats still got a <50cc engine for free:

Remove the official plate on the chassis that states the engine is less than 50cc & something along the lines of 'Cannot exceed 50km/h' (35mph). Theoretically at least, that is all that makes the difference between what is defined in law as a moped and a motorcycle that has a less than 50cc engine. 

It would have been simpler and safer to fit an 80cc barrel and piston to the 50s... Rather than struggle to hold 30mph, pretty sure I had to ride at over 50mph on one part of my test.

My bike test was a figure of 8 from Park Street test centre in the Avenues area of Hull - don't think I exceeded 25mph! Swings and roundabouts...

It would have been simpler and safer to fit an 80cc barrel and piston to the 50s... Rather than struggle to hold 30mph, pretty sure I had to ride at over 50mph on one part of my test.

Me too, had a dual carriageway section. I think they would have been suss if I sat at 30mph. Instead I sat at 69mph with my allspeed can wailing like a banshee.

Guest Hooli

My damn suzuki has decided the £800+ of parts it's had recently wasn't enough so it got a puncture yesterday. Took the wheel out to get that fixed & the retaining bolts stripped the holes in the rear calliper...

..rethreading kit acquired to do the job tomorrow.

Me too, had a dual carriageway section. I think they would have been suss if I sat at 30mph. Instead I sat at 69mph with my allspeed can wailing like a banshee.

While doing my training I rode my RD125LC whilst everybody else was on the training schools CG125s, I was leading as we got to a dual carriageway section and the instructor said he wanted me to ride at speed, so I dropped down a couple of gears and made full use of the slightly more than standard amount of power available in the power band, I must have covered a couple of miles before the rather surprised instructor caught up and got me to stop and wait for the others....

Yes, with the pursuit-type test these days that's very true but you're missing the point here, this was back in the 80's when the 'Part 2' or road test (Part 1 was all off-road) was conducted the same way it was when it was introduced in 1935 (or whenever) ie: the examiner standing at the roadside - I appreciate for younger viewers that's hard to imagine but it's true.

As Malc says, in those days you rarely touched 30mph on test so engine power was academic. I got to 30mph about once on test IIRC, the whole route was in a 30mph zone anyway and I'd bet this was true of most bike test routes at the time as they were in bigger town locations and had to be in walking distance for the examiner. 

Hi,

Here it is on the road, the only difference is that after this photo it was stuffed in the back of a Pug 106 for the journey back and unused for a while so the twostroke/carb probably could do with a flush/clean and the bent metal "foot plates" above the engine could be refitted on the four M6 10mm headed studs.  Presently without a £29.65p MOT and no insurance nor tax.

post-7239-0-51524100-1463754856.jpg