The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Just got this Suzuki vstrom 1100.

Mot is due soon and has judder from front brake.

Suspect warped disks unless you can think of anything else to check.

Any idea where to source replacement disks & pads.

Also any suggestuions on how to raise front wheel to check runout,has no centre stand.

post-1-0-24785900-1491037021_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-38342600-1491037025_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-57624500-1491037028_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-97183700-1491037032_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-43489800-1491037036_thumb.jpg

Guest Hooli

Check the bobbins the discs float on. You should be able to spin them by hand easy enough, they often jam up on my suzuki & cause the same problem.

If they are stuck, soak them with brake cleaner & you can spin them by doing up a nut n bolt through them & using that to turn them.

Guest Hooli

Finally got my 14 back together & running etc. Taxed it & will be taking it out tomorrow to see if I can remember how to ride. Then it's going to work every day with a diversion tues morning for a MOT as it runs out on weds.

Not done much bike riding or bike related stuff this week after 500 miles on the bike last weekend and not being able to walk properly for a week and it aggravating all my old injuries, I think my time with sportsbikes is coming to an end, I fitted a quickshifter today for the hell of it but can't be arsed riding it at all, shame really as it was/is my dream bike, I think a street triple may well be on the cards in the non too distant future.

Rank Bandit is starting to look pretty close to a whole bike.

6531a3d04bd0149a5e0c6b57f4eb9b16.jpg

1d45fa2bf534febf9528dcc5c0d46071.jpg

Just need to get some fuel hose and T pieces then I can fire it up.

Still reckon I'm going to sell it and stick with scooters, if anyone is keen at about 500 quid let me know.

That will sell easily at that price, its not my cup of tea but there are plenty of camouflage trouser and hoodie wearing folk who like that sort of bike :)

Also any suggestuions on how to raise front wheel to check runout,has no centre stand.

Yes, stand on the left hand side of the bike with the bike on its sidestand, turn the bars all the way to the right then pull on the right bar to lift the wheel off the ground by pivoting the bike on the sidestand, its really easy to do, obviously you can't check the wheel yourself whilst doing this but someone else can, or lift the bike, it doesn't require a great deal of strength :)

Thankfully the Xevo was back from repair last Sunday, it's been off the road since before Christmas with a collapsed wheel bearing amongst other things. So at last i have been able to commute the 600 miles a week on it again. So much better than the Bandit which I find to be a hateful thing to ride. 80mpg is another benefit, as is being able to carry loads of stuff around without having to wear a rucksack.

Guest Hooli

207 mile done on a quick trip out just to check it's all working...went to Brid & followed the coast to Whitby & then came back on random B roads.

Took a couple of mile for the clutch to wake up, felt like it was sticking & not releasing properly rather than worn & slippy. It's fine now anyway so makes sense from being stood. The front end is brilliant now, I can't believe the difference. It's like a new bike & to think I thought it was still ok before.

That was a nice five hours to waste a tank of fuel & get used to riding again. Got back with a black head though, I don't think my lid liked being stored for 11 months, so I've washed it & it's drying by the fire. I hope it doesn't turn my whole head black again on the way to work tomorrow...

Guest Hooli

Clutch is still being a wanker, took 5mins of squeezing the lever before I had any drive.

Guess I'll be stripping the slave cylinder down this weekend to check as that's much easier than looking at the actual clutch.

Guest Hooli

I think it's a snot filled slave not releasing properly, but it didn't play up this morning so I'll ignore it a bit longer.

Took it for the MOT today & was told 'it looks rough as fuck but I can't fail it on anything' so that's a clean sheet for another year :) Ticked over 109k on the way to work too.

Guest Hooli

I go to a local garage where the tyre bloke rides bikes. I won't use the local bike shop as they are useless wankers who can't do anything right & rip people off for badly done work.

Get mine via mail order and take them to a shop I've known for 15 years (does all my bike MoT's), they only charge a tenner a loose wheel and do an excellent job.

Can't remember where I got the Bridgestones I put on the LC a couple of years back but I used to use Busters for my Bandit's tyres, they seemed to always be the cheapest price for the (again) Bridgestones I used. 

Get mine via mail order and take them to a shop I've known for 15 years (does all my bike MoT's), they only charge a tenner a loose wheel and do an excellent job.

Same for me. I order mine from Oponeo - stuff always arrives on time, and on the one occasion I had a problem (a split appearing in a side wall after a few months) the tyre was replaced with a minimum of fuss.

The V-Strom I used to own lost its clutch in a similar fashion at Spa a few years ago. The slave cylinder on the left side of the engine was knackered, and only option was to buy a suzuli replacement as no one else made one.

Great bike though otherwise-had to sell it due to having surgery in both knees.

I've got the CBR600 road-legal, but road-fit it is not.  The handlebars/wheel are still not straight and I now suspect the bottom yoke is bent.  The right-hand fork is around 2cm forward of the left - and it's the same if I swap the forks around.  I find this hard to believe as it's a hefty bit of cast iron - surely the forks would bend first?  I can't see any marks on those and they spin/move up and down through the yokes smoothly.  Any suggestions?  Bent headstock also sounds unlikely as it's a massive alloy box section.

Here it is, it's STILL ANGRY.

2017-03-18%2B17.32.21.jpg

I've got the CBR600 road-legal, but road-fit it is not.  The handlebars/wheel are still not straight and I now suspect the bottom yoke is bent.  The right-hand fork is around 2cm forward of the left - and it's the same if I swap the forks around.  I find this hard to believe as it's a hefty bit of cast iron - surely the forks would bend first?  I can't see any marks on those and they spin/move up and down through the yokes smoothly.  Any suggestions?  Bent headstock also sounds unlikely as it's a massive alloy box section.

Here it is, it's STILL ANGRY.

2017-03-18%2B17.32.21.jpg

Are the top and bottom yokes lined up? The top one isnt however many degrees to the left/ right of the bottom is it?

On a competition bike I would be loosening the pinch bolts etc, then holding the front wheel between my knees and giving the handlebars a tweak till it was back in alignment.

If its bent enough to be 2" out of line between the legs then its going to go down the road turning one way or the other

Bottom yokes are forged steel and can actually bend quite easily. As can frames and swing arms and fork legs if the bike crashes in the wrong way. I've ran over kerbs that smashed the wheels up but didn't damage the forks and also had a lowside that bent the forks but left the wheels and fork lowers untouched. Expect the unexpected and assume nothing. As mentioned above it can be a real pain to track down what's bent and it may be more than one thing. Time to get the string, tape measure and straight planks of wood out.