The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

My JAWA 350 had that arrangement. Actually quite a nice thing to ride with

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I couldn't master pulling away with the foot clutch as a solo but with a chair bolted on it worked well.

Enjoyed my 350 Jawa too, Hilarious thing bowling along at around 50 watching the speedo wobble between 20 and 80 and the rev counter counting onions or some such.

I couldn't master pulling away with the foot clutch as a solo but with a chair bolted on it worked well.

Enjoyed my 350 Jawa too, Hilarious thing bowling along at around 50 watching the speedo wobble between 20 and 80 and the rev counter counting onions or some such.

turnips or beetroot :P

Enjoyed my 350 Jawa too, Hilarious thing bowling along at around 50 watching the speedo wobble between 20 and 80 and the rev counter counting onions or some such.

Haha yes, wish id kept mine. They are crude but surprisingly solid and reliable. They appear rough but last well with minimal maintenance.

Memories of blasting home from work maxed out at 80 (I think, like you say major speedo wobble) and creating a massive blue smoke screen in my wake

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

If it only needs a battery why not buy one and sell it as a runner? If it's worth so much in the UK why not import it yourself and make all that £££ yourself? 

Neither of which makes this a bad buy of course, they've just managed to hit on two of my pet peeves for adverts (simple fixes that make you wonder why they haven't done it, and sellers saying they're doing a deal as it's worth far more.)

They definitely grow on you the more you look at them, I await an exciting collection thread with baited breath.

I'm refreshing a lot of stuff on my GSX14, part of that is getting the forks rechromed.

When I stripped them down yesterday I noted the bushes are rather worn within the fork legs. Will it make a noticeable difference to replace these? I've not noticed anything wrong with the front end previously, so unsure if it's worth the money to do.

I think they went to about 57 plate or so. Mines an early 2001 K2, frame number 246. Never seen an earlier one about. Only 108k on it so far too, barely run in :)

I'm refreshing a lot of stuff on my GSX14, part of that is getting the forks rechromed.

When I stripped them down yesterday I noted the bushes are rather worn within the fork legs. Will it make a noticeable difference to replace these? I've not noticed anything wrong with the front end previously, so unsure if it's worth the money to do.

Yes, most definitely, its daft not to for what they cost, you probably won't notice the difference but its worth doing.

Yes, most definitely, its daft not to for what they cost, you probably won't notice the difference but its worth doing.

I'll see what it costs then, but as I intend to put another 100k (at least) on it. It does seem daft not to do it all considering the list of other stuff getting done -

In tank filter, it's blocked & only does half revs.

Chain n sprockets.

Valve clearances, they'll be fine as they never changed yet.

Oil n filter.

Throttle balance.

New heated grips.

Fit helicoils or similar to the cam cover bolts, six out of eight are stripped hence it leaks oil.

New bottom yoke due to damage.

Steering bearings, because yoke.

Grease swing arm bearings.

HID kit if I can find one to fit this time.

Maybe clean it a bit....

OK I seem to have been talked into a half share of a Honda CX500. Hated them when they were new and 40 years and nostalgia for every thing 80's have not deminished my loathing of them. The other 50% share is my mate who is nearing the end of his first custom build which he has done on the ex-Wuvvum Hyosung vee-twin.

So its going to be customised. Not a rat bike, bobber or cafe racer, but done just differently and done with thought, not some of the lash ups seen on ebay. Only thing is, the engine is fugly, so making it a feature will be a challenge with more time and thought than money to be spent on it

^^ I rode a good few examples back in the day when they were current and despite their crap reputation (got referred to as 'Camels'), I have to say, I rather liked them. They were comfortable, capable bikes that once the early issues (who mentioned camchains???) had been largely solved, reliable too if like anything, given some maintenance. No, they weren't a mega fast, sexy superbike, they were never intended to be FFS! Typical half-arsed hatchet job by the idiots in the bike press. 

Oh, and it seemed every third or fourth despatch bike in London in the 80's a CX, so they can't have been that bad if you use it to earn a living.

Oh gawd, I had a CX500 back in the day. They were also referred to as "Maggots".

I remember mine being a bit top-heavy and bouncy, but maybe that's just by comparison with the 650 Katana I also had at the time. The general feel of the CX wasn't a million miles away from one of the smaller BMW boxer twins.

As said above, they were popular despatch bikes. But their looks haven't improved with time.

Quote from ad not from me.

"" tomos a3m 1987

Classic moped tomos   two stroke 1987a3m kickstart model  in red /orangefor spares or restoration, engines  free with compression ,will need new tyres and tubes new levers as both broken.fuel tank will need treatment and cleaning as rusty internally, body all there but tatty.wheel rims rusty but not rotten, seats had it but no biggie to find replacement

I have stripped carb and cleaned and managed to get the motor running briefly ,but overflows and dies so more work will be needed, has good spark and light coil good.the moped dudes out there will know how to pimp these old peds good project but will take a fair amount to look good.sold as seen ,has to be worth saving ,or as a donor bike needs a tomos nutter

Comes with uk registration /log book and keys.no mot ""

http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/horsham/motorbikes/moped-tomos-a3m-1987-15781922/

Depends how you ride it (round town?). I know some CX versions had particularly small tanks necessitating 3 fuel stops a day. Agree that the GTs were better in many ways that the CX (and even the NTVs that shat their gearboxes around 50k)

I could get 275 miles out of a tank on a GT550. Usually about 220. Even with my 165 litres of luggage and melted bus-shelter on the front.

1162304940_a26f18830e.jpg

GT550G4 by E Honda, on Flickr

Preferred the front brakes on the GT750 as the pads wouldn't drop out if they were worn out. On the other hand I preferred the rear drum brake of the 550.

Looks nice UW - can I ask what you paid?

Would like to own a C90 but all the ones in my area seem to be bloody expensive. (sadly I do recall when a running and riding, T & T'd one was about £100-150 which they sure aien't now!).

The C90 - I think it's one of those vehicles, like an Alfa, everyone should own an example of at least once in their lives if they class themselves as enthusiasts.