The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

id be all over one of those if i fitted :D - not for the wahhhhhhhh but just for lols

or a 750

versys are gr12 - miss mine and apart from a stick coil splitting (they go in the head so get hot and split) and causing a misfire which me and uncle pat fixed at the roadside in ireland :D

they dont go wrong

did 40k in two years on a mk1 and in the 7 years since its done only another 20k and is still going as its just been moted :D

id buy another but spares interchangability and the dealer being miles away mean i out sadly

Some Old Bikeshite for you. This is my old Yamaha RD125LC from about 1995 or so. The lurid custom paint job was the previous owner (though the tank dent was very much me) and I spent much of my time undoing some of the more scary modifications he had made. The best* of these was the rear single shock being extended by means of 2 short bits of steel plate with holes, to push the shock down from its top mount and using the underside of the fuel tank to stop them flopping around. Handled better without those. Also replaced the bars, rebuilt the brakes and front shocks and rebuilt the engine too after it seized at full speed on the A2. Added the belly pan, seat cowl and micron exhaust, then, like a chump, sold it for £500 to some other teenage monkey to raise money to fix the Renault 5 you can see in one of the pictures. 

A properly fun bike that, I still miss it from time to time. 

post-22580-0-05390500-1551795875_thumb.jpeg

post-22580-0-17382200-1551795893_thumb.jpeg

post-22580-0-85472300-1551795913_thumb.jpeg

I've had both of those bikes, the bandit was garbage (it was 3 months old) and was sold after a fortnight, the hornet was absolutely brilliant, apart from the small fuel tank.

hornets are ace had 9 (both 6 and 9)

did trackdays and elvington (it was 3 months old :lol:) 12.4 :D

had it two years until some dick pulled out of a line of traffic - only needed a tank and a front end tho someone bought the it and it was still going last time i checked 18 months ago

got bored of in line 4s (had fazers also) and done twins for last 6-7 years

QuestionDoes anyone have real experience of rebuilding cast aluminium engine cooling fins neatly ?

Those on one of my Sunbeam engines have been broken away by some clout (no it wasn't me !) who levered against them to get the cylinder head off.  It's a common problem on these 60+ year old engines.

post-20151-0-18377400-1552126966_thumb.jpg

post-20151-0-00097100-1552126979_thumb.jpg

^ Clearly the mechanics* never looked at the pictures in the manual, nor did they learn their first try, nor the second ..that there are two cylinder-head nuts inside the cam-chain tunnel that also needed to be undone.!

In the past I've tried having pieces of aluminium welded in but tbh it wasn't totally successful, nor very neat ..and even before being reassembled the weld line was cracked again..   Apparently welding thin cast aluminium from just one side is not so easy.   I know some owners have tried adhesives to fit pieces of aluminium in these places but of course we are talking about the fins getting hot and also subject to the vibration of a twin cylinder engine. 

How do you, else else quality restorers do this sort of repair so that it is an invisible repair.?

Thanks,

Bfg

I've used HTS-2000 alloy brazing rods to good effect repairing cast alloy parts, even magnesium alloys. Only small parts mind as I only have a Mapp gas torch and you need a LOT of heat as aluminium is such a good heat sink. If you have access to oxy acetylene then that shouldn't be a problem. 

Thanks that looks like it might work well, and also be fun to try. 

I haven't oxy-acetylene but I am prepared to use two or more blow torches, one or more with a wide-spread flame and the other to do the localised task. I've not tried but possibly the block might just go into the oven ..to be preheated a couple hundred degrees. I'd normally farm this sort of job out but ..as I say I wasn't overwhelmed with the perfection* of the last one I had weld repaired. And if this HTS2000 really does work as seen in the video (it looks quite like a cross between soldering and leading ..which I once tried when I started in the motor trade) then it will be a really useful knowledge base to have for other repairs.  I love the idea of filling around a stripped thread for example, and all too often prior owners have cracked or badly scored other parts like the cast aluminum rocker cover or broken the headlamp bracket 'ears' off these bike's fork shrouds.  

I see it's available on ebay at £20 for x10 rods. or £32 for x20 rods.  Unfortunately there's no indication of the size of those rods nor how far they will go ?   I'll do a search and see if I can find quantifiable information. 

Again many thanks,

Bfg

......... scuttles out to garage with measuring tape. The rods are approximately 390mm long, 2.25mm diameter and according to my kitchen scales weigh 10g. You really do need the stainless steel wire brush as well to get a good "tin" on the surface and a carbide burr in a dremel is really good at cleaning up the work prior to starting.

any interest in 13 plate honda cb500f 50500 miles mot till nov (ill check) top box

edit mot beginning of june (feck) - likely get another at easter

last oil change 47k needs plugs (misread in book when last done) and fork seals need doing although these will be done when i finish lap of ireland from next week

air filter changed at 42k last march chain fitted then also rear pirelli before xmas (49k) only done 25 miles a week since end of october - trip season starts next week

theres one advertised on autotrader with 57k and he wants 2295 - i dont think mines worth that maybe 1800??

post-4817-0-36286700-1552163780_thumb.jpg

got bored of in line 4s (had fazers also) and done twins for last 6-7 years

Me too, been on twins and triples for years now.

Me too-just have v-twins and single cylinder two strokes now. And there is a distinct feel between all of them, where as I found all in line 4's feel pretty much the same as each other

......... scuttles out to garage with measuring tape. The rods are approximately 390mm long, 2.25mm diameter and according to my kitchen scales weigh 10g. You really do need the stainless steel wire brush as well to get a good "tin" on the surface and a carbide burr in a dremel is really good at cleaning up the work prior to starting.

Thanks.. that is useful, insomuch as that's 1.5cc in volume, and as I can measure the cooling fin's area / volume that I need to recreate - then I'll know how many rods I'll need as a bare minimum.  Add say 50% for experiment & waste and I'll be good to go.

I have a set of burrs, so just need to order a high-temp flame thrower with some Map-x gas, and a s/s brush (cheers ;) ).

I did have a look at the instructions ..and was thrown into confusion re. temperatures. That is until I realised they still talk Fahrenheit, which as far as I'm concerned is 18th c German.  

8)   

Dropped the scooter off for it's second service yesterday, it's only done about 1,100 mile in total but best to get it done as it's not had much use and stood for ages. Last time out it seemed to fizzle out around 70mph and wouldn't go any quicker. Not noticeably coughing or missing, just wouldn't hit previous speeds. They're quite fussy on fuel, possibly it was old/cheap juice, so lobbed about £8's worth of Shell's finest in and caned it up the motorway. Later on, on a private test route, it did 76-ish.

Anyhow, the shop it's gone to be serviced at have a new (TT) 200 coming soon, praying it's not black as I'll probably end up buying it. He reckons there's a £250 'chip' available for them too for a good bit of extra poke, on the older (TL) ones it's eight hundred odd quid for a stage 4 kit which seems a bit excessive, tbh.

I've four stylish Italian bikes (OK, so one is not a v-twin, but looks like a 916 head on) and won't rule out a fifth.

However, a single cylinder bike made in India is taking my fancy at the moment

i did that and it was on the redline everywhere when on the motorway so sold it

friend has one of those and loves it - has a triumph tiger and they get used together

I've four stylish Italian bikes (OK, so one is not a v-twin, but looks like a 916 head on) and won't rule out a fifth.

Work mate has a 535 - fancy one. And an Interceptor....

RE?