The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

I too had a lovely ride out, ending up at a Honda dealer and almost buying a Monkey bike again.  I can't think of a single use for it yet I really badly want one, they have an irresistible toy-like quality.  There were loads of other bikes in there, sensible ones that would fit my requirements, but none sparked my interest.  Perhaps I should try one of those new Enfields, at least I could take that on the motorway without being immediately flattened by a wagon.

I too had a lovely ride out, ending up at a Honda dealer and almost buying a Monkey bike again.  I can't think of a single use for it yet I really badly want one, they have an irresistible toy-like quality.  There were loads of other bikes in there, sensible ones that would fit my requirements, but none sparked my interest.  Perhaps I should try one of those new Enfields, at least I could take that on the motorway without being immediately flattened by a wagon.

:lol:

guess what i was doing yesterday

looking at cub and monkey yesterday and planning on going to look at interceptor today but didnt :D

Am going to punt on RF600 and the GSXR 1000 at some point. Will put up a for sale thread(s) at some point. Any tentative interest chaps before I brave lolbay and mongtree? K plate and 52 plate. Pics on here somewhere.

Basically need something a bit more sit up and beg (shoulder injury).

Sam

What do you lot do for tyre pressures on older bikes? Both my hapless old wrecks have service book figures for whatever square-edged ditch-finders they came with 20+ years ago but (and i'm assuming) tyres have come on a fair way since then and those values might not be quite right anymore. Avon tyres for instance say (here https://www.avontyres.com/en-gb/tyre-care/motorcycle-tyres/ 'classic bike') to run 25-28 front and 28-34 back - is this less than whatever a classic bike would have had or more? classic-bike is not a helpful term...

More pressure, less pressure, no pressure and fill with expanding foam? 

What do you lot do for tyre pressures on older bikes? Both my hapless old wrecks have service book figures for whatever square-edged ditch-finders they came with 20+ years ago but (and i'm assuming) tyres have come on a fair way since then and those values might not be quite right anymore. Avon tyres for instance say (here https://www.avontyres.com/en-gb/tyre-care/motorcycle-tyres/ 'classic bike') to run 25-28 front and 28-34 back - is this less than whatever a classic bike would have had or more? classic-bike is not a helpful term...

I've never had an issue running the pressures listed in the owners/workshop manual on any bike from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's or noughties. While compounds and profiles have changes a bit the carcass of a non-radial tyre hasn't changed much since Moses was a lad. In general "classic" tyres are designed to be a direct replacement so you'll be absolutely fine sticking to recommended pressures.  

Stupid non biker question:

Is it a good idea to sit right on the back right corner of a car, right in the middle of the right hand door mirror but otherwise completely invisible?

I've had a few bikers doing it today, mostly on the 68 and the 63, whilst I was doing 30% above the limit and overtaking regularly. To be honest it was distracting and difficult for my own awareness, particularly where there were no safe overtaking opportunities.

One was so persistent and failed to overtake even with a good gap that I had to slow down and pull a winkie on to get them past. They then proceeded to tailgate a quarry wagon and became an extra thing for me to pass.. :-/

I know on my bike that's not that old but still 90's design, it came with pressures that are way too low because the bike came with crap tyres that were replaced by a different manufacturer within a year or 2. So the tyre manufacturer and the service manual give very different readings. 10 PSI difference. In this case, the tyre manufacturers pressures are the ones to go by. This can definitely be verified by how horrible the bike is on the handbook pressures.

Stupid non biker question:

Is it a good idea to sit right on the back right corner of a car, right in the middle of the right hand door mirror but otherwise completely invisible?

I've had a few bikers doing it today, mostly on the 68 and the 63, whilst I was doing 30% above the limit and overtaking regularly. To be honest it was distracting and difficult for my own awareness, particularly where there were no safe overtaking opportunities.

One was so persistent and failed to overtake even with a good gap that I had to slow down and pull a winkie on to get them past. They then proceeded to tailgate a quarry wagon and became an extra thing for me to pass.. :-/

The failed to overtake bit should be a clue, unless they were riding a swarm of 125s anybody riding up your chuff but not passing when safe to do so is riding like a twat.

5 Psi rear, 10 front increase to 10 and 12 or 15 if there are prolonged periods of road use. No tyre mooses for me either.

However in your case try it with standard then 4 psi more then 4 psi less than standard over the same stretch of road and see what feels better, continue to increase/ decrease as appropriate- unless trackday or autobahn use age is planned you won't go far wrong working it out for yourself.

I don't think I've ever looked in this thread but I'm a 'biker' now so I must read it. :-D

I need a helmet, I've been looking at something like this for the scooter,

H768016D_Main-held-openface-crash-1.jpg?

Not 100% sure i'll look stupid on a modern scooter though.

or something like this

H762101D_Main-held-7621-katana-helmet-bl

I use a Givi flip front, homologated open and closed.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

I too had a lovely ride out, ending up at a Honda dealer and almost buying a Monkey bike again. I can't think of a single use for it yet I really badly want one, they have an irresistible toy-like quality. There were loads of other bikes in there, sensible ones that would fit my requirements, but none sparked my interest. Perhaps I should try one of those new Enfields, at least I could take that on the motorway without being immediately flattened by a wagon.

Only try the RE if you want to buy, they're ace. I can see mine becoming a polishing hobby on the weekends I'm not out on it.

Only try the RE if you want to buy, they're ace. I can see mine becoming a polishing hobby on the weekends I'm not out on it.

That's the one reason I am afraid to test ride one - I know a couple of people could not wait to sign on the bottom line once they test rode one.

My mate has just bought a secondhand Himilayan -its 8 months old, has a couple of thousand miles on it, and engine bars, but only £400 less than a new one. Bizarre pricing but he loves it.

Honestly at the right price they're fine, I'm sure the larger ones use a Jap engine anyway.

It goes both ways I believe. Hyosung are a major sub-contractor for Suzuki and consequently the 650's use a variation of the previous generation of SV650 engines. But the current SV engines contain castings made by Hyosung...

So this was the last thing I bought before I lost my shite mojo went AWOL...

attachicon.gifsolex1.jpg

attachicon.gifsolex2.jpg

'twas cheap because:

• seller couldn't spell Velosolex
  • no documents innit

It runs, moves and stops and the lights glow and everything... WCPGW??

I have always wanted one, but Hairnet say no they are dangerous!